1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Noise Complaint!!

P. McKinley Nov 16, 2011

1. P. McKinley

P. McKinley knifemaker formerly known as "Dacks" Knife Maker or Craftsman

Last night I was visited by the brother of the elderly lady who lives across the street. He was very polite in explaining the his sister is "sick and tired of the constant pounding noise" coming from my forge and would I kindly stop and find another location to do this. Otherwise his sister would be forced to call the police with a report of excessive noise. This is the same woman who's house I have been shoveling out after every snowstorm for the past 5 years, and to whom I always wave "Hi" and smile at when I see her..... which is about three time per day.

Now, I don't live in a tightly packed neighborhood. This lady's house is maybe 300 yrds from the forge. My closest neighbor's house is about 200 yards away. I have a 1/2 acre back yard w/ a 16x10 wooden shed in the center that I use to house my forge and anvil. But, I do understand that pounding hot steel on an anvil can be a noisy activity, so I make an effort to do this during mid-day hours and never after 6pm. I purchased and began using my anvil just less than a year ago and I may get out to the forge about once a week for 3-5 hrs at a time and pound out 2-3 blades in that period. I haven't been in the shed for 8 days.

I don't need tips on how to "off" this lady, or even how to tell her to go "F--- off".... just not my style. However, I would like some tips on how to subdue the pounding/ringing noise from my anvil. Insulating the shed is really not an option as its rather old and rickety and would need considerable work to make insulation possible.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Peter

Here's my set-up:
    This backyard shed is where I keep my forge:
    [​IMG]

Anvil:
    [​IMG]

2. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati Huge member

It really comes down to, as long as you are within noise ordinance levels for your neighborhood, then she's just being a busybody.

3. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Acoustic tile, You can line the inner walls / roof of the shed to dampen the noise.

4. P. McKinley

True. But, then I still have a busybody who's pissed-off. The low-cost high road alternative is the route I'm looking for.

Glenn - I'm considering that.

5. Glenn

Only other idea I have would be to build a barrier wall on the side of the shed that faces her house.Higher and longer then the shed itself.

This would deflect the sound away from that direction.

Not sure it would do the trick to quiet it enough, also would be more work and cash then the tile route .

6. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho

Beside what Glenn suggested -- maybe try to line the outside of the shed with bales of hay/straw ???

And I DO agree that if your in "DaLaw" I'd just tell her brother so AND I'd quit clearing her driveway/walk when it snows if she calls the police with a noise complaint.

You are being a "good neighbor" and need to explain that fact to her and her brother.

7. cornnutt

cornnutt Knife Junkie Brigade Member

Try the yellow pages for spray foam insulation. Its alot easyer then normal insulation. They just come in and spray the walls. Probably cost more but workes great.

8. Glenn

Wait I know !

Start using a rubber mallet .:ross:

DaBird likes this.
  9. P. McKinley

Well duhhhhhh. Glenn, that's just frikin' brilliant my friend!!:manganr::manganr::manganr:

10. firebolt

firebolt Hollandse Duivel Brigade Member

rubber hammer... :devilroll:

douse she knowes what you are doing ?
    and where the noise is from,

talk to here is a very good start.
    she douse not have to guts to come to you directly, even tough you are a good neighbour,
    so just talking to here will make it discucible,( i hope )
    and that you find it a pitty she did not come to you sooner, just as good neighbours, should be able to talk about these things before they become a problem,
    pin point the problem, wind direction, doors / windows open, is it the time she takes a bjouty sleep ? or is she just a naging old hag with nothing better to do than to complain.
    explain you need to make a living ect ect..
    let here bring up solutions

11. firebolt

firebolt Hollandse Duivel Brigade Member

i don't know if it works, but has anybody ever tried to take the ring out off a anvil by covering it with dampeing material on the sides ( the car audio stuff )

12. droid

droid This IS the droid you are looking for! Brigade Member

Dynamat is what you're talking about, I believe.

Not sure if that would work or not, never tried it for an anvil!

Auralex makes good stuff but it may be pricey.

Plexiglas panels may work as well.

Just my $.02

Andy

P.S. Just to clarify, the plexi and Auralex would be used on the walls, NOT on the anvil.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  13. P. McKinley

I've been sittin' here scratching my head trying to figure this one.

Thanks for the clarification!

:manganr::bwah:

My wife and I have been talking this over, and I spoke to my other - closer - neighbor for a bit this evening. We all now think this is more the response of the brother than that of my lady neighbor. He's been at her house several times while I've been forging ....as he was yesterday while I was in the shed, not forging but doing some cleaning and changing propane tanks.

Apparently, this 60something yr old man is something of a gruff old codger who, my lifetime town resident neighbor explains, "can go f--- himself". Apparently he has a rather special relationship with rum. My neighbor is sure that Mini(yes, that's her name) has no problem with my forging and that Joe(the brother) is just over-reacting in his own way.

I'm going to go over and talk with Mini tomorrow and straighten this out. And, I'm going to see if I can reduce/suppress my forging volume level a bit.

Even though it seems I have no real issue here, I'm left with the thought that whatever noise I did/do create... caused this. And, its made me even more aware of how some people react to this as a nuisance. This guy, nutto as he may be, was just trying to protect his sister. I can understand that.

There have been some great ideas posted in this thread. Thanks all for your thoughts. I'm about to build a new shop and this will be a great resource.

Rubber mallets.
    Who knew! :thumbsup:

14. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

It is laudable that you are taking this much time and care to try to satisfy this guy. I'll bet your conversation with her will be a bit different.

Aside from that - unless Canadian law is very Different than U.S. law - Noise ordinances do not restrict the kind of noise you are making during business or daylight hours.

Calling the Police will probably result in the police explaining that to him.

Putting Spray Foam or Sound Deadening Tiles may help ... but in the summer you will be forging with the Doors and Windows open.

You will find out by meeting with them if it is her or the Whack-Job Brother.

I also would keep doing the Snow Removal for her - She probably thinks her brother is an asshole too.

Mike

15. OxBlood

OxBlood I'm your huckleberry

Get a power hammer :ross:
    Hope everything gets cleared up....I had a similar problem back at my old place. Best thing I did was go around asking the neighbors if they had any kids or anything and what times they have their naps and kept my forging outside of those times. They all took it as a nice gesture and I never had any other conflict.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  16. Norm

Norm Little member

Visit with her

As was suggested, pay her a visit and talk it over. Bring her a blade (just for veggies, of course).

17. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

It looks in the picture as if your anvil stand is actually on top of your wooden floor, is this so?
    If so, you may want to cut the floor out and dig a hole directly under it then put a long stump of wood in the hole to mount your anvil on top of. This will greatly reduce the loud banging to a dull thud, and make your hammer blows more effective.

18. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho

Fixed that post -- they DO make those I think -- if not -- Glenn could whip you up one :bwah:

19. P. McKinley

Ya know.... I've been wanting to do that from the git go.

I ended up spanning two floor beams(joists?) with a ply and 4"x4" base to get as much stability and rigidity as possible.
    We plan on selling this house in a year or so. Because of that, I'm reluctant to "ruin" the shed for the new owner who, most likely, won't have an anvil. But, I've wanted to do that from the first day and I know it would improve things greatly.

20. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Try a quick fix... hang some cheap carpeting from the ceiling to absorb the noise. If that doesn't help, buy the neighbor's brother some ear plugs.