1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Nice multicolor textured micarta (several pictures)

Ariel Salaverria Nov 30, 2004

1. Ariel Salaverria

Ariel Salaverria Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

This is a green/black/tan micarta I'm making for Jason. He wants me to sculpt the slabs to make something colorful and grippy. Since it's my first time, I tested some patterns once I cutted the unusable parts.

The clothings I bought for this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making the pile, aplying polyester resin in between each layer (almost 60 of them)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the press (12 tons, and I place the clothings on some oiled 1/2" steel plates)

[​IMG]

Right off the press.

[​IMG]

After I tested some sculpting to gain an idea of the job ahead.

[​IMG]

This was my first time using the hidraulic press.. this piece is like a rock! :D

The camo was Jason's idea, he wanted an OD green, tan and black mixture, and I picked a lighter green as once you press it with the resin it aquires a darker color (as you can see on the last picture)

When I get to polish the piece it will get a more cool look, as it enhances the contrasts between the colors.

This is after I cutted a piece for a slab and rounded it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This are the two slabs, now polished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is not what Jason wanted, so I'm gonna try this again with thinner fabric and I will try to make it draw on the press, on a process similar to the rods I used to make other micarta in the past. This time instead or rods, I'll use some pins to press the fabrics and get the layout I've been asked for.

This are the first flat slabs I made, but I didn't like them, so I tried with the round ones.

[​IMG]

Shown with the round ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After my others attempts, I made a new block of micarta with thinner fabric and more vivid green (so it doesn’t look so dark after the resin) and came up with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that micarta I started the work and I made the slabs to replace the wooden ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the other slab, without any special work on it yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, the finished work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Ariel

2. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

You've done it again, Ariel... outstanding job! That is an awesome mix of colors for an awesome micarta handle on an awesome looking knife! :thumbsup:

3. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!! This will be my largest knife and the customizations you have done for me make it very special!! THANK YOU

4. WT351

WT351 Lone Star Moderator Super Moderator

Or smallest sword, depends on how you want to look at it huh?

Very nice job AS. That is a very nice looking handle. First time I have ever seen a step by step on micarta as well. Very cool.

5. BenDibble

BenDibble Resident Mortician JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

so i always wondered why sometimes it was called denim micarta. never actually realized it was made with fabric. incredible work as always. :-D

6. Ariel Salaverria

Thank you!

How about some Beans Micarta? :-D

I pressed the clothings with some beans to make small holes on the pattern

[​IMG]

Already cutted piece to test the patterns

[​IMG]

Finished (not polished) piece showing the final pattern

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Ariel

7. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson Electric Gigolo

That is amazing work and very informative. :gogdog: I always wanted to see how it was made.

(BTW this is my first post over here, hello to those that already know me and pleasedtameetcha to those that don't.)

8. TheBadGuy

welcome TorzJohnson!!

Ariel, that bean micarta is awesome :-D

9. Ariel Salaverria

Here's another picture of the raindrop micarta

[​IMG]

I gave your knife to Nestor today, and I also gave him this piece of micarta to send you so you can also have a piece of the process :)

[​IMG]

And here's a small piece of black micarta I made to test how cuold I polish it... I really like it!

[​IMG]

Ariel

10. TheBadGuy

:bobdance:

11. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:bump: for desmodus

12. Iceman

Iceman GI-NORMOUS member

Ariel, awesome stuff. :umberto: