1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New SB "Feather"

ren52157 Dec 25, 2010

1. ren52157

ren52157 Little member

Scandi-Bushcraft “Feather”

These showed up on J’s web site around Halloween. I’d noticed that traditional Scandi/Bushcraft knives seemed to get scooped up immediately so I was a bit surprised they were still available when I came back a week or so later. Always a sucker for something new I thought this might make an interesting pack knife so I went ahead and ordered the “right-handed” version. I’ve now had several months to use the knife in a variety of applications so I thought I’d share my opinion.

First off, this is exactly what J. said it was. A traditional length, relatively thin, chisel ground, flat handled knife. Finished off in with a mustard antique treatment and blaze orange G-10 handles. Striking in contrast, there’s no way I’ll misplace this one. Like my other “utility” knives from J. (a B.U.K. and a B.U.H.K.) this one is well fit and finished but with noticeably flat scales and a blade that just screams “work knife”! While not a bushcrafter, I do spend a lot of time in the backcountry for work and count on my “pack knife” to mainly handle food and camp fire preparation and provide sufficient “insurance” that I’ve got a viable survival tool if needed.

When I got the knife I left it in the kitchen for the first couple of weeks and just made a habit out of grabbing it when preparing a meal. While not designed to be a great slicer, this knife handles simple bread, meat and veggie slicing just fine and the finish holds up well after constant rinsing and exposure to acidic veggies. The antiqued finish really helps keeps the stains down, or maybe just hides them much better than a polished blade. Thumbs up so far!

I then took the knife to the backyard and put it through some pretty typical bushcraft “type” excercises, making feather sticks, batoning limbs, and driving the knife, point first, into a small locust tree with a baton. While not necessarily recommended, this was something I have learned will work in a pinch if you need to fell small trees for shelter. In this case, I just needed to convince myself that the knife was up to it. Neither the tree nor the knife was injured in this little exercise! I think that chisel grind makes for a very stout point. Unfortunately it’s winter here now, so I haven’t actually had a chance to use this knife for field work, that will have to wait till Spring.

However, I did start using the knife routinely around the house and found that it excelled at carpentry and gardening chores. I installed some hickory cabinets and used this knife to trim hickory shims and spacers and even on that kilned dried hardwood, this chisel ground blade behaved much like a hand held carpenter’s plane and worked like a charm. In the garden, most of those plants that needed to get cut back prior to the really cold weather fell prey to the SB “feather”. While the thin scales are not ideal for heavy wood work (you can get a bit of a hot spot working dried hardwood, especially if your technique is poor) I never experienced any rolling or twisting of the handle in hand as I feared might happen. This knife traveled in my tool kit, briefcase and back pocket and never failed to accomplish what I needed done. I particularly like how this flat knife carries in a back pocket.

I even think there’s enough belly on this blade that I could easily handle small game or even deer-sized game dressing chores without too much trouble. Again, probably not the best choice for these tasks but if you know what you’re doing, it would work fine. While I won’t be hunting any time soon I do plan to put this knife to work on some Colorado and New Mexico trout this Spring.

This knife is one of those “go to” blades for me, just a very pleasant surprise. If you’re a hard core “bushcrafter” you might want to go with a more traditional design, but if you’re looking for a “packin knife” you probably can’t go wrong here. Although I might not have ordered one with a blaze orange handle it sure has kept me from accidentally walking away and leaving it lay on the ground. :madaddy: