1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New Monster...in progress

J. Neilson Sep 1, 2009

1. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've had the urge to make another big damascus monster piece. I thought I'd run through the paces with everyone...
    [​IMG]...here she is forged and rough profiled. The blade is forged from 360 layers of 1095 & 15N20 high carbon steel with a "random cut" pattern. She's about 10 1/2" long and about 2" wide...
    [​IMG]... this is the blade after an interrupted quench/anneal...
    [​IMG] ...rough ground at 60 grit and ready for heat treating...
    [​IMG] After being quenched at 1491 degrees and tempered twice. Now she's going to sit in vinegar for a few days to get all the rough scale junk off so I can have a nice forged finish and still see the steel pattern beneath.

2. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

OOF, that looks to be a beast mate. Ham-Hands is starting to look like a mid-sized blade now.

Looking forward to seeing the finished knife, any thoughts for handle material? You going basic (micarta or G10) or more custom with some stag or exotic wood?

3. Lrshot

Lrshot Patriotic Devil

Such wonderful things from the Mountain ! And the is "Monster" slayer going to have a sharpened top clip also ? :devilinheaven:

4. infobound1

infobound1 Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

Hey J as usual Most Excellant! Whopper of a blade!

5. Leatherface

Leatherface leatherface Knife Maker or Craftsman

I am watching bro

waiting

waiting

6. J. Neilson

Thanks guys. I was thinking of either damascus or some really nice wrought iron I've been saving for the fittings and a nice big Sambar stag taper for the handle. A big traditional kinda monster. :devil1:

7. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Wow looks like one big chopper!

Great if you would show this as a progress thread - hint.

:D

8. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Of course, I approve of this. :devil1:

9. Soup_Monger

Soup_Monger Should be a custom title here

Nice lines, J.

Is that chunk of stag going on it?

10. J. Neilson

Thanks guys. Yep, that's the piece I'm planning to put on it. Most likely with some kind of spacing between the guard and stag but, I'm still up in the air on it.

When I checked her this morning there was still some scale crud on spots so back in the vinegar she went. Maybe I'll get to finish the blade up tomorrow. We'll see. Either way I'll keep posting pictures as she comes along.
    J.

11. Leatherface

hey bro

can i make a special request??

when you mount the guard and true it up to the handle etc, can you take a couple shots of how ya do that?

purty please??

btw..

you rock!
    :devil1:

12. J. Neilson

Don't see any problem there. :ssmile:

13. Paulie

Paulie Mothers Worry

That's gonna be a beauty and a beast.:devil1:

14. Lrshot

Lrshot Patriotic Devil

Good One J

You can hear us slavering with anticipation over this little one...:devilinheaven:

15. J. Neilson

Here's the blade after the vinegar took off 98% of the scale & junk, ground, hand-rubbed and given a quick etch to pull the pattern out...

[​IMG]

...different angle with a piece of wrought iron for the guard...

[​IMG]

...here's a face view of the guard slotted, shaped and etched...

[​IMG]

... here's the side view showing the fuller (groove) filed along the edge...

[​IMG]

16. Leatherface

WQOOHOOOO!!!!!

ok ready for more!

17. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

I'm looking forward to watching this take shape - looks great so far.

Austin

18. jawilliams0425

jawilliams0425 knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Love watching a knife come to life.:devil1:

19. J. Neilson

Here is the wrought iron spacer that will go between the guard and stag. I'm using wrought iron from a different batch to get some contrast to the overall look. Here it is slotted to accept the tang...
    [​IMG]

I attach the roughed out spacer (after slotting the wrought iron and stag solid with the tang) with a few drops of crazy glue and then shape it to match the handle and ricasso so there is a smooth transition between the three pieces. The crazy glue holds up well to the grinding temps in the shaping and a sharp knock on the bench will release it for finishing...
    [​IMG]

A quick pre-fit to make sure things are flowing nicely...
    [​IMG]

Now I use chainsaw files to fuller the spacer using cratex wheels on my rotary tool to smooth everything out...
    [​IMG]

Spacer done and test fit again. Now I can bevel in the joint between the stag and the spacer to give it a nice smooth look. I'm also adding a black spacer on either end of the stag for some division...
    [​IMG]

...close up...
    [​IMG]

Now I'm working on the pommel that will be file worked to match the contours of the stag. Here's the opening, nice and wide to fit all the support that will be added for the heavy wrought iron pommel...
    [​IMG]

More to come...

20. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

:ssmile:that is looking great :devilzeek