1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. rock3r4life

rock3r4life Sir shtablington

Bit the bullet and ordered the new kimmy, got it a day early(relative to shipping estimates) from Blade HQ (love that company!)
    EDIT: Definitely a good inexpensive beater.

A real world review from a very technical and precision kind of guy, who is not the Bruce Lee of flipping:
    - First and foremost, there is no spring on the latch.
    - I pay more attention to the mechanics, and it's pretty solid, could be a LITTLE better pivot tolerance...
    - The weight, COULD be too heavy for you, it IS heavier than my Titanium bm51, I personally enjoy the "heavy-ish" Pay more attention to the subtleties, like blade to handle play, sharpness, etc. it IS sharp, I DO like the blade shape, and there is a bit more play than I'd like, nothing terrible, it IS washers afterall. My 51 is a HAIR better in that regard.
    -The thing that really upset me is the warranty card says "bearandsoncutlery.com" (SADFACE!) I like Bradley better. There's my pennies, do with it what you will.
    -Definitely better quality feel than your typical bear and sons.
    -Final verdict: perfection from the same standpoint as my mom's car, a Chevy Cruise. I.E. affordable/not an eyesore/ good mpg. Everyman type. Dont confuse this with a magikal fantastikal win, it isn't, yet for the price, the steel, the quality, worth it. I would not advise this as your first dip in the balisong abiss though. EDC, for sure.
    -And me? I'm a Mustang man.(or bikes)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Hertzdoughknit likes this.
  2. bnutter

bnutter Tiny Member

First post here (please don't kill me if I mess up any etiquette), but I have been flipping the new kimura for about 6 months. For the price, it's great. IMO the handles are a bit too short and heavy, but it flips fine; I can do all the tricks I know with it. However, the pivots back out, and loctite will only hold for a couple days of heavy flipping. The 154cm edge is still really sharp (even after half a year), but it rusts in the humidity during warmer months.

Overall:
    Pros - cheap, fun, holds edge well, easy to work on, flips fine
    Cons - handles short and heavy, pivots require a lot of maintenance, needs to be oiled like every day

Hertzdoughknit and rock3r4life like this.
  3. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

We're glad that you are eager to participate in our beloved forum, butt* we DO require that EVERYONE post an introduction before anything else. I notice that you have failed to do so.

Please go to the Testing the Waters. New member introductions forum at http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/testing-the-waters-new-member-introductions.34/ and tell us a little about yourself.

4. rock3r4life

I did this approximately 3 or 4 years ago. But whatevs, no probs.

5. crogers

I was addressing the OTHER poster, bnutter.... :facepalm:

bali_n0ob and Hertzdoughknit like this.
  6. rock3r4life

Yeah I realized that AFTER I just wrote a very ranty intro. Mah badd; I honestly thought you were calling me bnutter as a term of anger, like asshole or something

7. crogers

Nah... I'd call you an asshole directly! :bwah:

No problem, I got it straightened out.

rock3r4life likes this.
  8. Hertzdoughknit

Hertzdoughknit Tiny Member

I can't bash on the Kimura since I've never owned one. Most of the Bear and Sons line-up in my opinion looks like CCC made in America. However, if I were to buy anything out of the B&S's factory it most likely would be the Kimura. Although I just can't justify the 100 dollar risk being that I don't own too many Bali's. I would spend a little extra and get something used with a lot better quality. I can imagine if you're a guy with a good quality collection, picking up a Kimura just for a tacklebox knife or a food knife wouldn't be too bad of a choice.

EDIT: As for 154CM goes, I've had good experiences with it. Stays sharp, doesn't chip too much, little to no rusting. I've owned around 10 knives with 154CM. It could be I've had good experiences because I bought a lot of Emerson's and they've been using 154CM for decades from the same supplier. I can imagine their heat treatment and even sheet stock supply is tip of the spear.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  9. rock3r4life

Idk,
    I wouldn't say CCC for bear and sons, just a level below benchmade/microtech/etc, then ccc would be another few below that.

Hertzdoughknit likes this.
  10. rock3r4life

Idk, for 100 bucks (which is cheap with this painfully expensive love of ours) it is good steel, it's tolerances are acceptable (not A+, like brs, benchmade, or eos) and the looks aren't half bad! This is you everyday, everyman, not ├╝ber concerned about tool, Lookin BA while yer cutting open your letters.

11. rock3r4life

As much as I think it is more "ordinary" than my others, this is the one I RECENTLY have been carrying the most. It's the three esses, Sainless, Sharp, and Sexy.