1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New home built 2 x 72 belt grinder

Don Halter Mar 3, 2016

1. Don Halter

Don Halter knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

My Grizzly finally died after 20 years of use. It hasn't been tracking for the last four or five years, but the motor instantly shorts out. Turns out the bearings were completely gone....not corroded....GONE. hah! The only thing holding the shaft was the mounting hole in the pulley arm.

I've had the parts for a new grinder for about a decade. I just never put it together. I finally had to break down and build a new one. Looking at it, it should be obvious that I modeled it after the KMG. In fact, I use their platen attachment. I used drops of aluminum off Ebay for the remainder, along with wheels I picked up on ebay as well.

The stainless hardware cost more than the aluminum! The motor is 1 HP from Harbor Freight and runs nice. We'll see how it goes over the next year. It uses belts to adjust speed. The tracking assembly is just a block that pivots with a 1/4-20 screw adjustment.

I still need to add a handle in a couple places and change the motor mount so it slides in/out enough to take up slack in the drive belt for changing speeds. But other than that, it's done.

I have a "benchtop" milling machine (840 lbs) that made this fairly easy to build. Aligning the wheels was the hardest part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't find my pics of it all together, but you can see it here in the background. I'll get some better pics this weekend.

[​IMG]

2. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Nice rig:thumbsup:, you lucky the old one did not go flying all over the place.:bwah:

3. Evolbeaver

Evolbeaver Little member

That looks awesome!! I recently built myself a sander also, kinda still working on the last little bits, and in hindsight I wish I would have built the frame in a style more similar to what you are doing there instead of the steel tubes I am using. Excellent job there sir.