1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New Carry Gun

SlightChance Jun 10, 2016

?

New Carry Gun

1. Glock 43

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. PPS M2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Shield

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other Gun/ Something that is not a single stack 9mm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

I have been wanting to get a new carry gun. I am very happy with my Glock 26, but when I look over the fence the grass looks just a touch greener. Plus when my pants are too tight I have to use an OWB holster that just doesn't conceal as well under a t-shirt. I am looking for a pocketable gun more so than a pocket gun if that makes sense.

I have narrowed the field to 3 different options. I want to keep it with 9mm for logistical reasons. Right now the only handgun calibers I stock seriously are 9mm and 10mm. And as much as I am falling in love with 10mm, I think it is better suited for full sized handguns (though a 10mm carbine would be cool too)

The first is the glock 43.
    I really liked my 42 as a pocket gun but I gave it to my mother to use as her concealed carry. So I figured the 43 would be more of the same just with one less caliber for me to worry about. I also saw a Talo exclusive version that was only 40 bucks more than the base model and came with Trijicon HD sights. I love the HDs on my glock 26 I carry everyday.

The second is the Walther PPS M2.
    I wanted the PPS when I first started carrying, but didn't get it because of the backstrap disabling the gun. That is just not something I want to worry about. This new model has everything I like and nothing that I don't.

The third option is the Shield.
    Proven, priced right, and easy to find. But it is a little too large to pocket carry and I would rather go up to a double stack if it is going to be on my hip. That said, I know these are reliable and that is the most important thing to me.

I know some of ya'll have experience carrying these, so I was hopping you could weigh in before the gun show this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  2. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

I too have a Glock 26, a G3 that I like quite a bit, but haven't quite found a home for; because, while I shoot a G19 in matches (practice shot it yesterday, and will shoot it again Saturday's match), it's just not the carry gun I thought it would be - that said...

A: I've been shooting Glock's regularly since 1988, but shooting a Glock 43 didn't work for me. It was snappy, and the narrower frame width hurt my hand between the thumb and forefinger both times I've shot one. I didn't like it much at all.

B: No experience with the Walther PPS M2.

C: For me, the S&W Shield 9mm is the finest small handgun I've ever owned. I carry it almost daily, shoot it almost weekly, and truly love it dearly. I bought it at Frontier Guns late on a Friday afternoon, drove 8 miles up to Northwest shooter and asked owner Jeff to buzz me into the pistol range as I walked in, ran ~60 rounds through it, blowing out the X at 7 yards on the first shot - then ran a match with it a little over an hour after purchase.

Borrowed a mag from friend Rick Laycock, ran the match, and had one miss at 20 yards on the first of 12 targets at two per, advancing, through doors and around barriers, and had at least one kill shot on each target. That was two years ago. No problems noted to date; it has worked flawlessly so far. It really works for me. YMMV

3. D2AP

D2AP Better than gold or platinum

I love the shield.

Lower price than the 43, higher magazine capacity, better sights out of the box, and trigger is a toss up. I also prefer the ergos on the shield. Of the people I know who have tried them most seem to prefer the shield. I've got a friend who works at a gun store and he said a lot of people after trying the 43 and then trying the shield, many walk away preferring the shield. Oh and I hear the Glock 43 is snappier as Sheldon mentioned above.

I have heard some people say the PPS is better then the shield, but I have no personal experience with it.

Hope that helps.

4. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

Love love love my Shield!!!!!!! That and a N82 Pro holster = best combo I've ever tried

5. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Pro-1911 Here

There are several very good single stack (and one double stack) compact 1911s. They are available in both 9mm and .45 ACP. Here's a short list:

Colt New Agent 9mm and .45 ACP
    Dan Wesson ECO-9 and ECO-45
    ParaOrd Warthog (double stack)
    "Old School" Detonics MkVI Professional

Although I don't care for Springfield their EMP is supposed to be good.

6. Bobasan

Bobasan Brigade Member Brigade Member

I split my concealed carry between a Shield and H&K VP9 or I carry both with the Shield as a backup. I've shot all three of the pistols you're looking at and they all shot very well but the Shield just ran better for me which is odd since the Walther operates much closer to the VP9 that I love. My wife is carrying a Shield as well but hers has a Streamlight TLR-6 light on it and she absolutely loves her rig. All that said if you can, go out and test them for yourself. :manganr:

Bob

7. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Too difficult a choice for me to vote right now... Based on reviews I've seen I could go with Glock or Shield.

Have you looked at the Springfield XDS in 9 mm. ? I have one in .45 that I carry, its very comfortable.

8. SlightChance

I like shooting 1911s but all of my defensive handguns don't have manual safeties. I would like to have a Colt New Agent in my collection though. But I am trying to keep this under 500.

I had forgotten about the xds. I will make sure to handle one at the show tomorrow.

I am still on the fence.

9. Mark M.

Mark M. Iron Head

I tried carrying a smaller gun (HK P30sk) but I just don't like the smaller grip with my pinkie hanging off, so I switched to the Sig 320c striker fired gun. 15 rounds in a much more ergonomic, comfortable grip than the glock 19. I know that's not on your list just throwing another option out there.

10. Komitadjie

Komitadjie Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

Another vote for the XDS here, mine is also a .45, but the 9mm works just fine, and is very comfortable to carry and shoot.

11. Sheldon_Wickersham

Well shoot, if we're going all in, and getting completely off topic while at it; screw the small, lightweight concealed carry idea - how about a gold plated Desert Eagle in .50AE? :bwah:

DE50AE5.jpg

SlightChance likes this.
  12. SlightChance

That Deagle is a bit more practical than the Glock 20 I carried today. :jdwink2:

13. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

Not to add more confusion to the mix. I love love love my Shield and N82 combo but if you want to possibly add pocket carry into the mix, you may want to consider a Ruger LC9s. I picked mine up yesterday. I had a DeSantis pocket holster, Talon grips and a spare mag waiting for it when I got home from the dealer.

[​IMG]

SlightChance likes this.
  14. tnhawk

tnhawk Little member

The XDS is an excellent choice as a carry gun. Mine has been accurate and dependable.

15. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Huge member

For a small single stack, I like my Kahr PM9. I would not want to go smaller. I have had it for over 10 years and it works well. I normally carry something larger, HK45c, but for a little guy, I am happy with the Kahr.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SlightChance

I usually carry a Glock 26. It really isn't too much larger or heavier than some of these single stacks, but I miss having a gun that I could either carry on my belt or throw in a pocket.

The PPS weighs as much as my double stack; I am not sure if that is a good thing or not.

I didn't see any Kahrs at the show today. Or a Ruger LC9s. Plenty of LCPs/P3ATs/Tarus's version. Saw a bunch of Shields and glock 43s and a few XDs's.

I am going back tomorrow to make a purchase. I like the price of the Shield and know it would be a great IWB/OWB carry piece, but the XDS and G43 look more manageable in my pocket.

I don't care too much if I print some (NC is an open carry state) but I don't think the Shield would fit in most back pockets.

I supposes I should just be happy to have some many choices.

17. KAZ2

KAZ2 Huge member

This! What a surprise the LC9S turned out to be. I own G19,G26, LCP, so, the last thing I wanted was to buy another 9mm. This is my favorite, feeds everything I feed it, shoots right to point of aim. Can, in it's DeSantis holster go in a front pocket. Regards

18. SlightChance

Well, I went with the 43.

If I were only going to IWB/OWB carry I think the Shield is the best choice and value. Especially when you consider the cost of extra magazines.

But that PPS M2 is something special. If you have held the PPQ then imagine that as a single stack 9mm. It is heavy though; it weighs as much as some double stacks. But that would help it shoot better.

I ended up with the 43 because it seems like it will carry better in my pocket than the others and doesn't have any safeties for me to worry about. I got the Talo version that comes with Ameriglo sights: an orange dot with tritium front, and a serrated blacked out u shaped rear. That is pretty much exactly the set up I have come to prefer so I figured why not?

I also found a decent holster maker called Watchdog Tactical. They are 100% Veteran owned, and looks like a quality product. I will post a review later after I have carried the holsters around.

19. Sheldon_Wickersham

Good for you! Now, make sure you keep it in nearly unfired condition so you can recoup some of your money after it beats the shit out of your hand, and you realize that you should've bought the Shield instead - if you're lucky, you'll be at break-even after depreciation. :thumbsup:

D2AP likes this.
  20. Rhonda

Rhonda knife diva Lady Devil Brigade Member

I recently got one of these, made in USA, Iver Johnson 1911 in 9mm. It was love at first sight. Of course it doesn't carry in my pocket, but easily concealed elsewhere. Highly recommend. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

El Gringo likes this.