1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New 2017 Benchmade Balisong! Model 87

gunlove Dec 24, 2016

1. Band-aid

Band-aid Stuck on 'em! JDBA Official Member

Hmmm.....a mere $671 Canadian dollars:canada:

2. GhostYoda

GhostYoda JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Since I didn't get the drop on the Palethius BC Midtech today I'm pre-ordering this biotch :firedevil

desmodus likes this.
  3. Slimreaper35322

Slimreaper35322 Little member

Has there been any word on the drop date?

4. Timbo

Timbo Tiny Member

Why did they jump to the number 87...?

5. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

47 tanto, 67 tanto, 87 reverse tanto-ish?

Jedi87 likes this.
  6. Mastema

Mastema Little Member JDBA Official Member

It's a callback to 1987 when Benchmade started per their product page

Coconutfilipino and desmodus like this.
  7. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I saw it at the blade, I like it...anyone who saw it noticed anything with the tang pins? :soupy:

8. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

I got to handle it at blade. It was a nice knife, but it's got some tough competition at that price point. I personally thought it flipped a little wonky but I heard from others that they really liked it. I'd say find one you can flip before buying for sure, but it's a step in the right direction for benchmade!!!

Also, we as flippers give some crap to benchmade for falling out of the graces as far as their knives go, but the people at the benchmade booth were very accommodating to flippers. Fun to talk too about their knives. They let us flip, check out all the models and let us flip the 87 protos as much as we wanted to. Good folk their at benchmade!!!

seandavid55 likes this.
  9. Linos

competition? what competition?....which other company does a milled Ti balisong?
    and why is it every time someone talks or asks about balisongs youse have to assume he is talking about flipping exclusively?

seandavid55 and Jedi87 like this.
  10. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

I see the talisong FL and BRS's products as viable competition (Yes, BRS does not have a channel bali yet but the infinity and their other high end balisongs are fair competition.) Plus they're competing against secondary market 42s.

And the knife itself is a fine knife as far as quality and functionality, just thought I'd give my thoughts on it.

11. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

I agree here. I know it is an expensive balisong and believe me I'm not rolling in cash either but I think the 87 is worth it and it flips very well.

I wonder if anyone would complain is it were around $200?

So, maybe wean agree it's a great Bali but not worth $510. Although they work for hours on each one.

Technically is ANY balisong worth $510?

zephyr05 likes this.
  12. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

Double post. Sorry

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  13. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

Yes technically many balisongs are worth 510 dollars and up

braundc likes this.
  14. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

I mean that if there was an economic collapse I don't think we would spend $500 on a bali

15. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

if there was an economic collapse we wouldnt be buying balis anyway

buddy likes this.
  16. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

I still dont understand if there was a economic collapse, then no one would buy anything and would have to bring wheelbarrows worth of money to buy a loaf of bread. As it was, most midtech's and any custom bali/knife is going to be 500 up to ranges of as much as 2000 plus.

17. Linos

Nothing wrong with giving your thoughts...we all do.... but since you think it`s fair comparison ... you see nothing wrong paying $459 for channel Ti but you choke on a $51 difference for a milled Ti with proprietary(most likely more costly than plain screws) hardware?...
    BTW the tang pins and the T latch looks like they are torx screws.....

Jedi87 likes this.
  18. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

I don't mean to say that $510 is unreasonable, it's certainly not for what the 87 is. Rather that for that amount of money there are some other really great options in the market, thus the 87 has some competition.

Jedi87 likes this.
  19. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

But it is very hard to beat Benchmade's warrantee and customer service.

20. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

I'm gona chime in to add that people are beyond the channel thing at this point.

Just because your bali is channel means nothing in terms of function and flipability.

I kind of feel like the 87 is a low blow to what benchmade has done in the past and could have brought to the table. Sure its a very quality knife but do they think just because its channel its going to knock everyones socks off?

Lets be honest, if they would have released a new rendition of the 4x series only differing in milled ti channel rather than cast like the original it would have started a real frenzy.

People weren't crying for any old ti channel bali..... They want a brand new version of the 4x series from the exact handle design and dimension, made with milled ti and spring latch with some kind of upgrade to the pivots so there is less play.

The current nearest comparision to the 4x springer is the "a.m. custom" tach3 priced at around $700 for the cheapest version IF you can find one in stock.

Unfortunately there is no doubt that the 87 will not sell quickly. Its not the price, its the fact its so far from a 4x and what people were really asking for from benchmade.

my 2 cents

sawjaws likes this.