1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New 2017 Benchmade Balisong! Model 87

gunlove Dec 24, 2016

1. spsgold58

spsgold58 Guest

For that price I'd rather get a 42 first......if I didn't have two already! haha

2. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I want to handle one first. The price is in the "custom"range.

Coconutfilipino likes this.
  3. metlman

The handle profile reminds me of the Quartermaster McFly.

4. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Yeah, that is the turnoff for me

5. Blip Noir

Blip Noir JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Blade HQ has it for $510 and has it open for preorders. Do their preorder prices usually stick once a knife drops? With an MSRP of $600 (according to Benchmade's rep during SHOT Show) I can't imagine it would be much cheaper than $510.

6. gunlove

gunlove Average member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Some pics from the Shot Show. It makes the BM42 look kind of small.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  7. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Not very elegant. It looks like a good workhorse, I guess. $500US though?

nostimos likes this.
  8. welderknifenut

welderknifenut JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The thing is a Beast! Yeah it looks like a good work horse.

9. ilovekittens

ilovekittens Sailing the seas of cheese Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've seen better blade profiles on a prison shive. Hopefully they come out with more blade options. Benchmade would of been better off just making a sandwiched 42 :fail2: lLK

bradenwright, ATLWood and nostimos like this.
  10. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i've often wondered why the never did that.

there's no way it wouldn't sell.

Coconutfilipino, ATLWood and nostimos like this.
  11. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

contrary to the "after kick ass " public believe balisongs never were good sellers for any company, including BM, it `s just a myth perpetuated by forum kids so they have something to bitch about

nostimos likes this.
  12. Xmegaman

Xmegaman Little member

Any word on a drop date for this beast?

13. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Yes they are never going to be the next griptilian, but as far as decent sellers - I don't think you can discount the rate that BRS or Hom are able to move product. Seems just as fast or faster than any sprint run or BS gold series by the major manufacturers.

The big companies are in a tough spot. They have large overhead and the public has now embraced the high end chinese folders (Rike, Reate, Kizer, CKF, etc)- a market which for quite a few years was their cash cow. I'd be surprised if they don't double down on Automatics and Balisongs since they have a bit of a sanctuary vs Chinese with the current legal status on imports.

14. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Yeah, it doesn't have the finesse of a 42.
    Seems more like a "stubborn mule", than a "work horse". ;-P
    They must be going for the "bull in a china shop" demographic.

If that's true, why don't they give them what they want TO SHUT THEM THE HELL UP!
    Ya know, like we did by legalizing MaryJane in Cali so those annoying pot heads wont have anything to complain about. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    ATLWood and PS-RagE like this.
  15. Linos

...ahmmmm not to sound like an asshole BUT you can not really compare small runs of knives made in I a machine shop and finished on a table, with wide gaps of unavailability and sold through 4 dealers if I may add, with firing up the machines in a manufacturing plant and keeping your hundreds of dealers stocked up 24/7...

and lets not forget San Mai USA is 50% of their customer base :peace::ronflip:

16. Linos

maybe they have the same moto as JD?:andy:

desmodus likes this.
  17. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

How many $500+ knives do you think Benchmade sells in a year? I honestly don't know, but my guess is this thing will double that number.

I do also think that ZT, Spyderco and Benchmade margins are under extreme pressure from the Chinese currently. Time will tell how they react.

Coconutfilipino and ATLWood like this.
  18. ATLWood

ATLWood Huge member

If thats the case then why continue to come out with balisongs like this 87 at all?? Do you not think that they could have sold more Sandwich style 42's at around the same price, and produced considerably cheaper than this milled channel monstrousity?? How would that not be a smarter business decision?...

19. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

Looks massive, and also way too heavy. Also doesn't even look very good. Although never know until it has endured the old flip test!

20. metlman

I have to actually handle one before pulling the trigger. In the meantime saving my $ for another custom.