1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New 2017 Benchmade Balisong! Model 87

gunlove Dec 24, 2016

1. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

$600 is MSRP THAT means it will retail around -$450 ...

y'all pay over $300 for sandwich construction balisongs and this is milled channel Ti bitches...

edit to add $50 on the price

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Merlosso

Merlosso JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The 62 is listed on Benchmade's site for $375. Retailers are selling it for $301.75, or 80.5% of MSRP. Assuming the same rate, we would be looking at $482.80.

3. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

4. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

MILLED channeled Ti sounds great!

Not too crazy about the look aesthetically though.

This is a far departure from that teaser pic we got a few years ago.

That custom bowie that was suppose to be a concept piece of the 4x's replacement.

Nice to know my vintage Bali Song USA and PCCs, 90's 44/45's, and Ti 4x series don't have to worry about any new competition.

I wonder how this new 87 will effect the price of the older traditional BMs.

5. nostimos

I don't wanna hear this logical business sense bullshit . . .

Ain't no balisong flippers/collectors got time for that. :jdwink2: :bwah: :devilcorn:

Coconutfilipino and XxGRYMMxX like this.
  6. gunlove

gunlove Average member

Well, it looks pretty good : )

I want one for sure! Though I doubt I would trade my AB or 42 for one.

For a ti channel, not a bad price. As pointed out above, it's a way better price than the T3. I kinda like the looks of the utility straight blade. Bearings mehhh, gimmick. But if they cause an issue BM will fix it.

Great for the community. Hopefully it will be a nice flipper that's actually in stock for people to purchase any time.

7. thegoodedge

I know, huh?

Just give me the damn knife!! :bwah:

8. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

For pricing the BM knives I`ve always used the formula MSRP/4 x3= street price and i was usually corect...

9. Merlosso

Merlosso JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

It's now up on Benchmade's site with better pics.

10. Flippin_Frogs

Flippin_Frogs Little member

I have to admit I was a little disappointed at first by the price range. I think Benchmade could have done a lot better price wise if they had skipped the ball bearing pivots and milling so they could cast for cheaper. Yes titanium prices aren't what they used to be, but I still think we could have seen a decent cast channel titanium bali for $400-ish, plus or minus the Butterfly tax. It ain't the 4x reboot many people were hoping for, but I still think this could be a good knife especially once it hits secondary market, as even though it is on the upper price range, it is still cheaper than the Marfione Tach 3 yet has ball bearing pivots and a much more sensible design for flipping and EDC than the Tach. If the balance is good and the pivots as smooth as I hope I can see this becoming the next great flipper since Benchmade is producing it full time as opposed to BRS' inconsistent drops. I won't be picking one up immediately but I definitely want to have one some time in the future, especially to compare to my beloved 42 springer.

11. Bulldozer

Bulldozer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

12. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

And the price of balisongs creeps a little bit higher. The knife looks fine and it's not out of line with market prices.

I like to think that the niche has grown and it seems like more units are available but across the board prices have increased. I suppose it makes it more attractive to makers which means more choices but it still bums me out to think that a knife costs more than my first 1911.

My personal opinion aside from cost:

-Love the blade,

-Not a fan of the latch recess in the handle.

-Handles don't appear to have any taper - no bueno

-Appears a bit qrtmstrish on the sides of the channel

It's a pass for me because I just can't justify that kind of money on a knife but I am sure it will sell plenty well.

Coconutfilipino and nostimos like this.
  13. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

Double post

14. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

really?

15. nostimos

YES! Quartermasterish = BINGO!

I didn't expect BM to make the next great 42 replacement. I understand if they wanna try something different.

But looking at this things design makes me feel the same way I did when I realized that all the new model BMW/Audi/Mercedes that everyone is chasing after does absolutely nothing for me (since the late 90's :bwah: ).

You get older and your tastes get stuck at a certain era. . . . and you no longer need to "keep up with the Joneses" to define yourself.

I'm gonna have to accept that my fulfillment in balisongs will have to come from an older style and time.

And be happy with the more traditional collection I have. Maybe even see if I can snag just a few more old styles at lower prices like I use to.

The same way older car collectors realize they'll just have to be satisfied with there collection of 70's Mopars and 80's Porsches. :jdwink2: :manganr: :devilcorn:

Coconutfilipino likes this.
  16. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

I wonder if they will release more blade options...

Looks ok but the handles look chunky with those sides like the qrtmstrs.

Not bad Benchmade, not bad. You weren't listening with a rubber ear but you were at least listening selectively.

17. Foreman

Foreman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The magnetic latch is interesting. Wonder if they will be able to pull it off or will we all be removing it so it will flip?

18. welderknifenut

welderknifenut JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I think it's an o.k bali by the looks of it. Will probably get it but not in a hurry. I do wonder if they stole the latch design from Eldon Talley from the first Talisong.

19. thegoodedge

Why would you think they stole the latch design from Eldon? Because of the center latching slot in the safe handle or something else?

As far as a magnetic latch, Terry Guinn developed his "FIRST" magnetic latch on his Goblin series in 2002. And he has made many bali's with center latching designs. as well as magnetic latches.

Now the Channel IKBS design...that's a clear copy of the original Channel IKBS design from Charles Marlowe from 2006. No mention of Charles or the work he put into it.

And there's a lengthy thread showing his WIP on another forum.

Coconutfilipino likes this.
  20. thegoodedge

Fukin' photobucket!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
    desmodus likes this.