1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New 2017 Benchmade Balisong! Model 87

gunlove Dec 24, 2016

1. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

You've mentioned 3 balis since your arrival less then a month ago .

Other then touching upon the ownership of the other 2 from your welcome thread , the extent of your contributions 98% of here have been self knowledge and viewpoint of this "brick" of a Knife. Glad you like it, once again . Masturbate all you want with it we won't look .

It's NOT a TOP flipper, or ever will be considered that , get it ?

As per pricing and being pissed about what that knife cost not a chance, BM makes a fine product I've been one to stand by that as a knife, worth every penny .

You well know nothing about me, how many I've owned since 1980ish on , how much they've cost . This 87 would be a drop in the bucket buy.

I'll never make.

Now, lets here again from you , just how great of a flipper this is, we may have missed it :thefinger:

Silent Jay likes this.
  2. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

Watch out Glenn. he bought TWO. Real highroller in the house tonight.

Glenn likes this.
  3. Herbinator74

Herbinator74 Little member

I thought I might chime in here with some observations I made when I handled and flipped a display prototype 87 at the BM factory store.

The bearing system, while "smooth", adds some constant vibration-esque feedback that makes its feel very different from a knife with bushings; and I own a Replicant for comparison. I definitely prefer the feel of bushings in a flipper.

The knife definitely felt, and was BIG in hand. It seems that somehow most pictures don't seem to capture how wide the handles really are relative to how thick they are. I didn't want to bust out the whole arsenal of tricks on the showroom floor and drop their knife, so I kept it moderate; but from what I felt I think intricate fingerwork and fanning would be more of a challenge on the 87 due to the width to thickness ratio of the handles.

Overall I'd say the knife was decently balanced, but a little too cumbersome to be a knife I'd choose to flip often.

(Edit to add: except for the balance between safe/bite handle, this is noticeably off balance reminiscent of a stock 51.)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  4. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

IMG_0062.JPG

I have PLENTY of training and experience.

5. Glenn

Oh, I'm impressed. :tard:

Off to roll-a-high-er be back. :bobert:

6. Silent Jay

And crown for the stupidest and most unrelated post in the thread goes toooooooo

jan187 and seandavid55 like this.
  7. Glenn

No one cares about your belt.

I wear suspenders , I win.

I'm getting a total BBQJoe feel from you, another narcissist aboard my best guess . :popcorn:

stdlrf11 likes this.
  8. Silent Jay

Keep the Kung-Fu outside Johnny Karate

9. gunlove

gunlove Average member

SJ,

I won't pretend to have a ton of bali experience, I have probably flipped about a dozen plus. I made the video with Dave. He wasn't on the spot, but may have come to Rep for the video comparison simply because we talked about it and the Rep really is the closest thing I am personally familiar with to the 87 feel. I think the 47 is much more blade heavy.

10. gunlove

gunlove Average member

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess you probably don't....

11. Silent Jay

Ah, when I had talked to him about it I was told he was put on the spot about it and he was trying to not answer questions about it.

Again, not even slamming you for it. I was simply stating that you two are the only ones who have made that comparison.
    And while it is inaccurate, if you have had limited experience with other balis would make total sense for the comparison, so nothing against you for it, just trying to understand why the conflicting opinion from people who do have more experience.

BennytheBlade likes this.
  12. gunlove

gunlove Average member

no offense taken.

I was personally surprised how light the 87 handles felt. It looked like it would be handle heavy at first glance. There is way more milled away than you would think, and the blade is pretty thick throughout.

13. Silent Jay

I wasn't surprised as soon as I found out the handle thickness. That is where I knew. Blade looked like it maintained plenty of weight, but even with the milling, if the handles were as thick as they were wide, it could come out more neutral. But the handles are actually thinner than I would have expected from them as it to me, meant they would be removing more material upping the costs more. But I'm not over on their R&D team, so I can't speak to the decisions made.

But it is a pretty large bali forsure. The handles just do it zero favors for flipping. Which really is a damn shame because I really wanted to like the 87. Unpopular opinion, but I fuckin love the blade on it. And them upgrading to S30V was a nice move. Bearings are not a bad thing to me if done well, and I trust BM to do them right moreso than I would trust MT. And the latch concept seemed interesting as hell to me.

But as a flipper, those handles did it in for me. I have my Infinity which has a clip, S35VN, and flips amazingly. Kinda covers all the bases the 87 seemed to come up short on.

However, definitely out to review one eventually hahaha

BennytheBlade likes this.
  14. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

What's the relevance of posting a picture of a Black Belt?

How does that relate to flipping a balisong... does it make you some sort of expert?

In my experience people who go around bragging about their black belt are a) good at breaking boards with their hands and feet b) lethal in choreographed fights :bwah:

Silent Jay likes this.
  15. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

....Is he from New Mexico?

16. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hi-yah!!!!!! Judochop!!!

17. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

Awwww the 87 is a little too tough for a few of you to handle? Poor babies.....

Not the most athletic crowd here....

:doublefu:

18. Herbinator74

Herbinator74 Little member

Saying this is like calling someone unathletic because they choose to run in sneakers rather than a huge pair of boots.

They aren't ignorant or weak, they just know that huge boots make them run slower....

19. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

:dont:

20. Silent Jay

*translated from idiot*