1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New 2017 Benchmade Balisong! Model 87

gunlove Dec 24, 2016

1. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

.....some of you if not most of you are out of touch with reality.....

braundc, thegoodedge and Jedi87 like this.
  2. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

The 87 is actually what I was hoping for from Benchmade.

Dreams2Extremes likes this.
  3. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

i simply think what i do based on the fact that 2nd hand mint 4x's go for high prices. it was a $150 knife back in early 2000's.....

4. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

These won't appreciate, if anything you will be able to buy them cheaper then the original sale price in no time. :popcorn:

apdallaround likes this.
  5. Linos

maybe yes maybe no
    ....but then again the 4X series was the worst selling knives in the BM line up... ever, until all the cool kids heard a little girl asking for a 42 for her birthday

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Jedi87 likes this.
  6. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

Exactly.

7. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

I remember it first skyrocketed when they went out of production due to secondary pricing and all the hype as it being the best flipper- which it probably was back then. Not alot of choices like now a days. Lack of Supply and crazy demand will never be as ripe as back then due to the currant saturation of the market with butt load of choices in balis.

8. Linos

it skyrocketed when the cool kids saw the kick ass movie..and yes it was discontinued at the time, or the decision to be discontinued was already made...
    the matter of fact remains it was a poor performer and businesswise it`s a suicide to bring it back....
    and why should they?just because 153 kids in 10 subforums think they the shit :bennyda: and trash talk every time BM brings another balisong in the market?
    If I was Des,i would not either, just to spite them ROFLMAO :firedevil

Jedi87, desmodus and seandavid55 like this.
  9. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

The 4x is not coming back.

If we want to have a more relevant conversation (and entertaining) we should discuss the pros and cons of the 87 v. Alpha Beast.

I own and still flip both. Both are my favorite balis but the extra money is worth it for Benchmade's customer service and warranty.

The 87 also seems to be overbuilt. Maybe the AK-47 of balisongs? It's light but I think this would survive even the most severe neglect and abuse.

10. gunlove

gunlove Average member

I think we all are, that why we're on JD lol!

BennytheBlade and Jedi87 like this.
  11. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

Well I remember having difficulty getting a 42 for anything less than 300 and up and this was year's before kick ass. Price did go up insanely high with the movie coming out as suddenly you could find asking prices 400 and up. Those prices kinda came down though as the fad of the movie died. But what initially caused the bm 42 to skyrocket is the balisong comunity itself paired with them going out of production and bm getting rid of their machines.

BennytheBlade and gunlove like this.
  12. gunlove

gunlove Average member

...those weren't even real benchmade knives in the movie!
    I remember in the 2000s, there is always lots of hype around the 42. It was the balisong to get. There is no denying they are Great knives. Despite our enthusiasm here on JD balisong alliance, there is just not that much demand out there for balisongs in the mainstream market. I am interested to see how the 87 sells. I have no doubt it is specifically designed to attract the masses. We all know it will be the only Balisong carried in most storesfronts.

Jedi87 likes this.
  13. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

Not really. The last 3 I sold were for $600 each plus shipping.

I actually accumulated 17 of them back in 2008. All are NIB.

They are sold within a couple of hours.

zephyr05 and gunlove like this.
  14. gunlove

gunlove Average member

There you go! I would call that a good investment. I don't think there's anything that sells faster than a 42 Springer. I'm partial to the T-latch myself, but the market is what it is. It blows my mind that the 42 prices can even come close to a Jody Sampson hand ground Bali-Song inc.

Jedi87 likes this.
  15. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

Benchmade needs to discontinue the 6x series.

16. zephyr05

zephyr05 Little member Brigade Member

Agreed, I have no interest in those. I remember buying my first 42 new way back when they were available. It was a nice knife then and still is today. For the money though, an AB is a really nice flipper. I really like the extra length. But the 42 is just so damn. . .sexy in an old school classy sort of way.

I would like to try an 87, wish there was a store in the area where I could hold one. I remember buying my first 940 from the first run way back (the black handled one) when there was a knife store at the King of Prussia mall. Will never see that again.

Jedi87 likes this.
  17. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

Replace, maybe. But not discontinue. Taking more balisongs off the market and not relocating those resources back into balisongs only hurts the community and market. Even if the knife isn't the "best" like the 6x series, they are nowhere near the worst knives on the market either. (However, the 6x has a lot of potential through modding vs something like a Mcfly which limited and far far worse as I am told, thus increasing its value.)

Jedi87 likes this.
  18. Linos

kick ass came out 2010 the 42 was discontinued 2009 or 2010
    in the 2000 if you were selling candy with a free 42 people will take the candy and leave the 42....

Jedi87 likes this.
  19. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

YEARS before the movie?!?! They were being sold for WELL UNDER $200 before that movie. I've been using balisongs since 1985 and Benchmade balisongs since 1990. Anyone who waited until the price went up to $400 waited until AFTER the movie and they were being sold on the secondary market.

The one exception is in 2011 (spring time) Benchmade sold a limited run of the 42 for $280 because they had excess materials they wanted to use. These 42s had terrible fit and finish though.

20. gunlove

gunlove Average member

I bought my first real benchmade balis in 2008. I picked up a pretty well used 45 and 42 t-latch for 200 each, which was a pretty good deal at the time. The Springers were around 150 in very good condition at that time.

Jedi87 likes this.