1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

New 2017 Benchmade Balisong! Model 87

gunlove Dec 24, 2016

1. gunlove

gunlove Average member

Benchmade released a teaser for their new Balisong today on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOYWPrGlWXa/

Here's a screen shot:
    [​IMG]

Not much to see, but still telling. It's a sandwich Ti with large proprietary hardware with large tang pins. One could only hope it has bushings and isn't super short....

wingedcamel likes this.
  2. Bali-man

Bali-man JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I would love to see a new benchmade balisong. But it will probably be in 500$ range if it's made of titanium.

3. Xmegaman

Xmegaman Little member

This looks like a totally new design. I can't wait to see stats and get one in my hands. Benchmade is stepping up their game.

4. wingedcamel

wingedcamel Huge member

Don't get too excited. It's Benchmade.

Bboy likes this.
  5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...if it wasn't for Benchmade keep making balisongs for the past 50 years you would not have any of the cool toys you now have

K Wiliams, niklasal and HonorHer like this.
  6. HonorHer

HonorHer Custom Knife Builder JDBA Official Member

this is true benchmade paved to way for alot of the makers we respect these days alot of folks first loves were benchmades especially if youve been in the game a while like some of us

K Wiliams likes this.
  7. wingedcamel

wingedcamel Huge member

I'm not saying what they have done in the past is unappreciated. What I am saying is that their last few balis have not been to a flippers' desire, therefore, we should not expect a new one should be.

8. Jonre

Jonre JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

pretty hyped. and wingedcamel the 6x series was a flop, yeah but the 51 was still a plenty capable flipper. since theyre still going through the trouble of making Balis they must still be somewhat interested in the community and what it wants. If the new line is actually in Ti then thats a great step in the right direction. main interest now is actual specs and pricing which, considering the 6x line, will probably up there.

also Hi guys. haven't been around in a bit.

9. gunlove

gunlove Average member

Just guessing but with the large proprietary type hardware looks to me like bearings, allot like the Tachyon III. What do you guys think?
    How does the tachyon flip? I have never tried one but have noticed it doesn't seem to make any ones top flipper list...

10. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The world has passed BenchMade by.

Once upon a time news of a new BM Bali would have been met with more excitement... bit now, meh!

Bboy likes this.
  11. Bali-man

Bali-man JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I am very interested to see what this knife has in store for us. A lot of people thought that the 6x series was a flop which is true for flipping but from and edc stand point I think it is awesome so long as you can aquire one for a cheap price. I do agree that benchmade is definitely not what it used to be and if the price is as high as I am thinking it will be then I am probably going to pass on it.

12. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...by all 231 of us?.....because we all know what a money maker is balisong making....ask Jerry.,..he quit his job when he released the first Basilisk :unintroduced:

Bboy and HonorHer like this.
  13. JAKMAN32

JAKMAN32 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I love my tach 3 "custom" i paid under retail so that may have something todo with it. But its somewhere between a 42 and an AB as far as feel goes, if that makes any sense. But a very capable flipper. I think it has more todo with what people think about the maker... Anthony marfione is a grade A douche. The "customs" are over priced and the production version is a joke.

14. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

looks too wide in the tang area, reminds me of microtech's metalmark

they're a bit late with this anyway, BRS and HOM have already mastered balancing plus the disappointment that was the 62 set BM back quite a bit in terms of popularity

Bboy likes this.
  15. Xmegaman

Xmegaman Little member

The one thing that Benchmade as a company will bring to the table is availability of product. Even though the 6x series is considered a tank due to its weight and a bit to short for flipping as many of you have said in reviews and posts, you can still get them. You can still buy the 51 or pretty much any 6x model. With the smaller companies like BRS the demand for their product is so high and the quantities of the product they produce are so limited it gives way to a market that sells out of limited supplies in minuets. BM might be late getting to the table with these updates but I am hoping that it will be worth the wait.

K Wiliams and HonorHer like this.
  16. Vampill

but if this turns out to be a big winner balisong it will be sold out just as quickly as BRS balisongs are, which kind of eliminates your point

17. wingedcamel

wingedcamel Huge member

IF it sells out quick they have the ability to produce a lot more a lot faster.

HonorHer likes this.
  18. KaliSong

KaliSong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If nothing else this will be interesting to follow. But if I were a betting man here is where I would put my money: the fit and finish will be good, it'll be comparable in cost to an AB or HOM, not flip as well as a BRS or HOM, and always be in stock.

As somebody who got into flipping after the 4x series was long gone and a healthy lineup of balis designed specifically for flipping had stepped in to fill the void, it's hard for me to get too excited about a new Benchmade. A "4x reissue" or something of the like would pique my interest but that's not realistic (at least not at an even remotely reasonable price point).

19. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Is it wrong that I don't care if BM makes or loses money?

Call me selfish... but I haven't really given the well being of their company a second thought.

Merely pointing out there would have been more interest on this forum about a new BM Bali maybe 3 years ago. This thread would have been pages deep already.

Dunno what the interest is on other social media outlets... but I don't see much.

20. Vampill

believe it or not they sell out quicker than they can be produced, so benchmade will end up doing the same thing as BRS by selling in batches. if it was as simple as you suggest BRS would constantly be stocking up