1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help from Marine Devilz

MarieLaveau Oct 8, 2007

1. Les George

Les George George Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Lots of good info here, pretty much hit all the wickets.

I have been in the Marines for just over 10 years now.

I get out in Feb.:thefinger

2. Once and Always

Once and Always Huge member

It's hard to add to all the good advice that all the Devils have given. I love the Corps and all my fellow Marines. There is no other branch of service that instills in its members the sense of brotherhood that the Marine Corps does.

Still, it is a very dangerous profession especially now and joining the Corps to be an airplane mechanic is probably not the best way to approach it.

It will be your son's decision and I'm sure you will be proud of him no matter what.

Semper Fi could be a parents motto as well.

MarieLaveau likes this.
  3. e3ck

e3ck toolmaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks for the advise all:flag:

4. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

O&A, you're absolutely right, Semper Fidelis(Always Faithful) very well could be a Parent's Motto!

No matter what, as a Mother, even as a Father, when your Son is in Basic Training, yer gonna worry. There's no way around that. But it's, also, your perogative! Keep the faith! There are stories about Marine Recruits being "abused", as in slapped, or doing something others may consider derogatory, but believe me, they're not going to do anything that'll put your son in danger. It's done to instill "the Marine Corps Way" of doing things. I got "thumped", once. It was for something stupid that I did. Once! I learned from it. I learned so well that I was 1 of 7 out of 73 that Graduated with a stripe on my sleeve. A "Meritorious Promotion" to Private First Class. If I can do it, I believe your son can too.

If/When he goes, if ya need some re-assurance, PM me.:mack:

5. Midnite Rider

Midnite Rider Little member

Hi Marie,I'm bettin the shop on Bourbon St.was probably the ONLY not ripped off store in N'awlins in the flood.My visits to the "House of Voodoo" have always been educational and entertaining.
    If your son wants to join the Marine Corps,if he plans on being a Marine Rifleman he won't be disappointed.
    Any more than that is wishful thinking,pie in the sky,maybe,maybe not.About the ONLY guarantee given is that ALL MARINES WILL BE QUALIFIED WITH A RIFLE.
    Minimum score 190 out of possible 250.You will also be in great physical condition.You must pass PT test also.
    There are many jobs in the Marine Corps.How the Corps places it's personnel is a secretive process,known to only a few in charge.
    Semper Fi

MarieLaveau likes this.
  6. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Tub....

I resent that insinuation. I was a Coast Guard Recruiter in Michigan from 1979 - 1981 Detroit and Saginaw. Not once did I ever lie to an applicant or enlistee. I did tell them that there were some things I would not tell them - about basic - that they needed (just like all of us) to learn and experience first hand... Did I ever lie to an applicant? NOT ME. Hell I lied to the ex-wife about what I did in the afternoons though...

7. Les George

Les George George Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

I still say my recruiter was an ass. I think he is up for parol soon ....

(I'm not kidding).

8. FireMonkey

FireMonkey throws poop Lady Devil

I actually had the coolest recruiter when I was going into the USAF. Called me all the time just to say hi and to check up on me (since I was still in college and having hard time with my classes). Would go running with me and my trainer at the track after hours.
    Then he moved away and I got an asshole of a recruiter who hated his job and never kept in touch with the applicants..which discouraged me from signing that last paper and getting sworn in.

9. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

there will always be good and bad people doing the job

nice thing about the corps is most people that are thinking about joining up to "a" branch dont think marines as they "heard its hard and worry about the PT standards"
    remember you can get the GI bill in all branches (you kind of have to be a little "off" to be in the corps)

after i saw my sister walk onto and then off of the grinder one friday morning of 92 i new that for a fact i was going to be a marine. i just had to wait 4 years to get in had my 18 bday on PI and everything

10. Danbo

Danbo enormous genitals Knife Maker or Craftsman

My lying POS of a recruiter had the nerve to actually show up at the airport, when I came home from boot camp and tried to shake my hand. I ignored him and looked(and walked) the other way. I have NO use for liars.

11. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

Well, Butch, at least I know I'm a little "off". I like it that way!:madaddy::jdevil::devilzeek

When I came home from Parris Island, I went to my Recruiter's office and said, boldly, "There's a few things you forgot totell me about Boot Camp!!!"

However, he was a Staff Sargeant, and there wasn't much I could do about it.

Did he "lie" to me? No. Not by any means. But, Like Tim said, there are things ya just have to go through yourself, in order to learn the right way.:jdwink2::mack::mack: