1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

need some advice

Huskerfan72 Apr 20, 2009

1. Huskerfan72

Huskerfan72 Little member

I recently saw a MT Scarab being offered through a local classified ad. The guy was asking $250, so I was a little skeptical. He sent a somewhat grainy picture, but it was good enough that I decided to call him on it. The first thing I asked him is if it was new and if he could send a few more pictures. He said he was a police office, and that he had received it in trade from another officer. He said the Microtech on the blade was barely legible because the blade had been refinished. He could tell I was quickly losing interest, so he said his bottom price was $175. My question is, does this sound like something worth taking a chance on? Can the blade be repaired or replaced for a reasonable amount? Thanks in advance for the advice, and I’ll try to attach the picture later.

2. AIK

AIK Little member

Scarab

There is a really good copy of the Microtech Scarab out there..I mean a really good copy...Has like a parachute logo on the pocket clip..Action is super nice..When you hold the Microtech and the copy next to one another you can't tell them apart except for the Microtech name and logo on the blade...Action on the copy is really nice...I mean the copy is almost, if not better than the original Scarab..They are that nice!!!
    I have held the copies or "knockoffs" in my hand and the weight and feel is really nice..They are actually a little heavier than the Scarab...

When we have them in stock they sell for $125..others are asking like $150 or much higher...Personally I wouldn't buy it from the local paper..I seriously doubt the dude is a cop; they wouldn't list a real one, or even a copy in the local paper, especially for the low ball price you listed...The thing is a knockoff, and even though it is a real nice copy..even at $175 it is too high...Hold off and consider yourself lucky that you saved some dough$$
    BA

3. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:welcome: to The JD, glad you made it! Please properly introduce yourself upstairs.... :cheers: I am sure folks want to meet you

4. SSandshark1050

SSandshark1050 Devil @ heart

If the blade was "re-finished", wouldn't the logo not be there at all? I smell fish bro.

5. Norcalflat

Norcalflat War Dance

Yep, smells fishy. If you cant tell from the pics and get to hold one a dead giveaway that its a clone is the inserts. Clones have cheap skate tape, feels like rough sandpaper. Real ones have a rubbery feel to them. Also, have you asked if he has the original box, paperwork, etc?

6. purpledc

purpledc purple or blue, depends on the strength of your gr Brigade Member

No offense but this sir, is a bullshit statement.

Norcalflat likes this.
  7. Frstr8

Frstr8 First Rate JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Gonna have to agree. Not only that, but the inside of the knock off is prolly nothing like the inside of the MT. I'm sure the blade steel is not the same.

Just my 2 cents.

8. Huskerfan72

When I called the guy, I asked him if it was new. He said "No, I am a police office and we trade knives amongst each other all the time. This one is used, and the blade has been re-finished to where the Microtech name is barely visible." Here are the pics he sent me:

View attachment 41672

View attachment 41673

9. SSandshark1050

Can't tell from the grainy cell phone pic.... looks to be genuine

but, a word of advice?

I was in a LEO sponsored explorer/junior deputy program and got to do many a ride along. While on many rides, we encountered people with knives during a routine pat down and one of two things would happen...

1. People were so great full they didn't get arrested, they became absent minded and left their knives on the hood when we told them to grab their shit and scram.

2. There was a drunk,or other prohibited armed person that would get their knives TAKEN during the pat down and be sent on their way, once being told "you want it back, go to the desk, tell them you were drunk and deputy "smith" took your knife and you want it back!"

This all leads to a show and tell at the end of the shift and sometimes they trade knives amongst themselves.. for instance "You got that twenty you borrowed last week? nope.... HERES a MT SCARAB I TOOK OFF SOME DRUNK DUDE"

then they sell them elsewhere to make extra cash.

I've seen it more than twice.

10. Huskerfan72

I think I'll call him again tonight and see if he'll e-mail me some better pics. That alone should tell me a lot about whether or not this is a genuine deal. Thanks for all of the opinions. Next question: if I decide to get this, is there a dealer in this forum that could help me with getting it fixed? I'm not LE or military, but I am disabled with only one arm, so I qualify under Federal law to own and carry an automatic under 3" (at least, until I hear from the Kansas Attorney General's office, I think I do.) But I'm not sure if Microtech will work with me or not.

11. Mr.LaBella

Hold up-

I have seen Scarab knockoffs and some are extremely well made.

That being said that one in that pic is genuine from what I see.

About steel, how many of us..on the forums would ever REALLY know any characteristic of any steel? On top of that Marfione switches steel like normal human beings (himself NOT included) change underwear. He buys what he can get at the time (OBVIOUSLY...I mean come on now!)

So there:madaddy: :decisions :jdspam:

12. Frstr8

Frstr8 First Rate JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Looks to be real from what I can see in the pictures.

As for the steel. I use a knife daily. The 440 blades last maybe 1/4 of the time before they need sharpened compared to my s30v blades. It is all personal preference. :decisions

13. SSandshark1050

speaking of knock offs....

I had a knock off of the Vallotton & Diskin scale release and they were absolutely identical...

That MT looks to be real as I stated before....

14. Norcalflat

Norcalflat War Dance

:bwah:

Seriously though, I have a knock off Scarab and its crap in comparison. There might be better clones out there but even guys I work with who dont know shit about knives can tell its not as nice as my other knives. The handle is steel, and probably cast and not machined, which is very noticable where the halves fit together and where the blade comes out, it is not anodized and has some coating that appears to be oven spray paint. It works and *gasp* has never misfired, but it sure as hell aint no Microtech. I find it very hard to believe that a clone could be goon enough to pass as the real thing :jduh:

15. Mr.LaBella

Dude- Marfione himself uses moly coat which is??? Oven spray paint :decisions

Just saying is all...

16. Norcalflat

Norcalflat War Dance

Really? I could have sworn they were hard anodized? :jduh::jduh::jduh:

Guess I should go kick myself in the ass and do some more reading up :devil1:

17. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

It's real and it's old school. You can tell by the double glass breakers. I'd snap it up in a heartbeat at the $175.00 price. That is what you call a good deal. If the action is a little wonky there are ways to fix it. I would buy it and use the shit out of it.

18. Mr.LaBella

Yes...YES!!!!!!

/shakes fist

MT does both, depends on which bills are paid up :devil1: :madaddy:

19. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

It's NOT about the steel as much as it's about the Heat Treat.

S30V isn't the easiest to HT properly and we all know MTs HT history (the sears on the CMTX-5 and recently the MSAR recall).

I had a UMS of S30V that wouldn't hold an edge after even a few cuts. Damn thing would dull just looking at it. An Amphibian I'd EDC (S30V) had an edge that would chip like a ceramic blade...

But the Old School (2001) L-UDTs of 154CM kept an edge through hell and high water. Easy to resharpen too...

20. SSandshark1050

TRUE STORY, I had a LCC that literally scuffed up when I used a gun cloth on it! Moly coat my ass!