1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

~need opinions!!

beergoddess Oct 16, 2009

1. beergoddess

beergoddess shorter than endowed Lady Devil

ok...so i am incensed! as u all may know. i am a bartender at a busy sportsbar in jersey. our "uniform" is made up of black pants and black shirts. in the handbook, it states "no sleeveless shirts or tank tops of any kind". so, there are a few girls there that have been wearing them anyway. about a month ago, i was in express and was set to buy a cute sleeveless high-neck BLOUSE. because i am a team player, i figured i'd text the owners wife (the decision maker) if it was ok. her 2 word reply? "absolutly not!". ok. so in the managers meeting the other day, another female manager and i asked what the deal was w the clear dresscode violations. one bartender told us that the owners wife told her that she could waer the tanks. all the other girls are asking us if they can, too. so in the meeting...the owner confirmed that the girl DOES have permission to waer tanks, as do a few others. his direct quote "it is at our discrection. some people look good in them, some do not." the 2 that wear them all the time have a combined weight of 200 lbs...me? im about a buck seventy five. so i stated that it seems a lil discriminatory. his wife says, "it is what it is". so what?, am i some hideous fucking wildebeast, the sight of my bare arms enough to deter potential patrons??!! i am so fucking offended, it is rediculous. not to mention, extremly hurt. what do u think? is it discrimination? (i am not sensitive, nor would i ever try to wear anything inappropriate)

Blastmaster1972, Coolhand68 and chop like this.
  2. beergoddess

beergoddess shorter than endowed Lady Devil

btw...the pic in my profile was taken at work last summer before the no-sleeveless rule. do i look disgusting? i didnt think i did. :pissedevil:

3. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

This isn't High Velocity, is it?? Those people are pretty douchey all around.

4. Pathos Incarnate

Pathos Incarnate Sickness Embodied

Your anger is straight up justified. It makes no sense that two anorexic waiflings with bony arms can go sleeveless but you cannot.

5. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Jo, I've always considered you to be MILFy Hottness, and that's a very good thing in my world.

Show up tomorrow in some slinky, cleavage enhancing demi-bra and low-vee tank thingy, but put up a photo or nine here first, just so we can tell you if it looks okay.

We at the Devil are here to help.

6. 2fulhundin

2fulhundin Official Retard

I would be pissed. I would ask for an explanation in writing what criteria they use to guide their discretion. And just toss out the comment your lawyer was interested too.

It is the same as the places who give employees that smoke paid cigarette breaks but non smoking employee are not allowed to stop. It only takes a comment about being discriminated against to fix things for you.

7. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

First off, you look great. Now on to my comments. :bwah:

As a manager that had to deal with over 300 employees, the dress code was constantly an issue. Adult men and women of all ages would be like children pointing out others that were not in dress code or wearing something similar to clothing that they were told not to wear.

The only way to deal with it is to be specific and consistent. Period! You can't cut anyone slack because it will be noticed by others and they will not look at it as you doing someone a favor, but as an opportunity to get away with it.

I worked in the bar business years ago and have forgotten what it is like. Your story reminded my of what a hostile working environment it can be for some people.

This: "it is at our discrection. some people look good in them, some do not." is such a fucking stupid thing to say that I can't believe they have not been sued.

Maybe I have worked for a corporation so long that I am over sensitive, but managers in my company have been fired for comments like that, including general managers.

Good luck!

8. VampyreWolf

VampyreWolf Prime minister of coffee Brigade Member

I found the best solution when I was in the warranty dept for 2 years and constantly waiting on one of the smokers to get back inside. I watched and kept track of their smoke breaks for a week. Ended up being a little over an hour a day average for each of em. So I started taking an hour of break at some point in my day. The boss asked me why I wasn't working, told him I was having my smoke break. Had to show him the list of times the smokers took breaks, and told him that if they get an hour of paid break on top of coffee and lunch breaks, so did I.
    So while my day started at 0700... I usually showed up at 0730, did nothing for an hour, and went for breakfast .

If you can't find something in company policy stating that some employees are granted freedoms that others don't get, fuck em. Go in shorts and a tank top.
    and we'll need pics of that too.

9. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

That's definitely discrimination, and really shitty of them, no doubt about it. This is one area that large corporations are better in. They don't tolerate that kind of shit. Your employers will wind up in court some day and pay dearly for it.

Not to mention, you look damn good! Although I have to say, I much prefer a deep V's, that neck high shit is way over rated! :wes:

10. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

First off. You look fine. Now, it is definitely discrimination if all of you were hired to do the same job under the same conditions. How you deal with it depends on whether you want to continue working for these people, whether you want to make waves, whether you are prepared to take the high road and go fight for equality. I am not familiar with New Jersey Labor Law, as my experience as a hiring and management authority is limited to California and Oregon. If New Jersey has similar laws as California, all facets of a dress code must be equally enforced for all people hired under the same conditions to perform the same task. The exception to this might be gender related as male and female dress codes could be different for the same job.

Why don't you give a call to a labor lawyer or the Labor Board?

11. englishmark

englishmark Wicked Gardener

I have no clue as to employment laws, so I can't advise.

However, after sneaking a peek at your gallery, I believe I am qualified to say you are not hideous or disgusting, get them thoughts out of your head now. Actually I think you are loveley.

12. Cadi Con Carne

Cadi Con Carne Kwitcherbitchin' Lady Devil

I would just be rehashing what has been said by others, so I won't bother, but I will say thou art a fox and thy managers are full of shit!

13. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Yes , it is discrimination.
    And the owner's wife sounds like a C.O.T.H.O.*
    * Cunt of the highest order.
    I do not mean to disparage vaginae ( yes , according to spell check , this is plural for vagina........who knew ? ) anywhere.
    I am using cunt in it's most offensive derivative.
    The problem I see is that if you make a big deal about it , the door will soon be in your future.
    That's how C.O.T.H.O.'s work...........petty , spiteful and vengeful on their good days.
    For the record , I find you attractive in body , mind and spirit .............. so fuck that fucking cunt and her fucking cunty rules.
    You can keep the job and hate her guts , or find another job and punch her in the face on the last day.
    Bummer.

14. MarieLaveau

MarieLaveau Pistol Packin' Mama Lady Devil

I love you tubtar!

Rock on, BG! Sounds to me like the Queen of Cunts is jealous of something YOU have that SHE doesn't. Be proud, not hurt, doll. :cheesydevil:

15. chop

chop Huge member

I'm not as eloquent as tubtar:cheesydevil:, he hit the nail on the head for sure... It's bullshit that you have to deal with that and it's discrimination for sure... And while you shouldn't have to deal with it, seems the owners fucktard of a wife is gonna enforce what she wants regardless... Of course whether you stay or go the problem is gonna be there, and that's what sucks ass... Keep your blade close, you might be need'n to cut a mofo!!!:cheesydevil:

16. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

I consulted the wife.
    Is it discrimination? ...Yes!

I consulted myself.
    Should your avatar pic go a little lower? ...Yes!
    :madaddy:

17. knife_junky

knife_junky Better than gold or platinum

This is discrimination 101 and it you worked for a TGIF you would most certainly have some ground to move on but since this appears to be a small family owned bar there is, sorry to say probably nothing you can do.. Labor laws are there to prevent things like this from happening but it's difficult to prove, your word against theirs and the end result would be you loosing your job.. Sorry for the bad news but unless you have a employee handbook that states no sleeve less shirts and pictures of co workers wearing them the issue is over.. You could make waves and wear you tank tops in and see what happened but be prepared to terminate your employment with these clowns..

18. dfarmerknives

dfarmerknives Tattoo Man says Knife Maker or Craftsman

Who wants skinny little hoes anyway????? Some of us like curves....:madaddy:

Jo, you are beautiful, and you have a right to be pissed.

19. Dale

Dale Huge member

I guess it comes down to, how much of a stand are you willing to take.
    Like others have said, in a smaller workplace, if you make the stand, be willing to walk, or get fired.

I would probably have to show up at work dressed just like the other ones, and just see what happened, being fully prepared to tell the boss lady to fuck off if she said anything.

By the way, from your profile pic, I think you look great.

20. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Tough situation Jolene. I have met you & you are by no means a wildebeest (they are upwards of 500 lbs) so get that idea out of your head! Only possible solution I can offer is to turn the heat down... see how long the two 100 pounders continue wearing the sleeveless tank tops. If that fails... try putting Rogaine in the 100 pounders' underarm deodorant.