1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with knife laws in Long Island, NY

Drill Sergeant Sep 26, 2018

1. Drill Sergeant

Drill Sergeant Huge member

My son is moving from Arizona to Long Island. I have tried to understand the knife laws there, but am confused. In Arizona all is legal; even the dreadful and extremely terrible automatic knife. In Long Island - not so much.

The laws are difficult to decipher. Specifically the classification of 'dangerous knives' is mentioned, but never explained. What the heck is a 'dangerous knife'? Also, gravity and assisted knives are forbidden. Is 'assisted' only for the spring assist or any knife with a stud that makes opening easier?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank, in advance!

Ben. likes this.
  2. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Do you want the legal aspect or the reality of it? .

3. Drill Sergeant

Hi Rio,

I guess both; although the laws as written are difficult to interpret. The reality is where it would be most important. We already know that most of his firearms are not allowed and that a permit to own handguns may take several years, but we're thinking even bayonets and military fighting knives are also not allowed. Anything may be classified as 'dangerous'. Don't know about the 'assisted' category.

Thanks for your insights.

4. Rio

You can have a permit to own guns in LI for target practise and is not that bad to get, conceal yes, knives in general i LI NYC Weschester county are something you want to keep in your pocket and never show them , don’t use the clip either, they will make it illegal even if is not, but I never had a problem anywhere I go, I mind my own business and don’t give them an excuse to even look at me, is common sense, there is the laws and them there is what actually happens, most cops want respect and they are knife nuts themselves, So you know tell him to use discretion is all and to no flash anything and all will be well.

Martin Cuna likes this.
  5. Drill Sergeant

Thanks Rio,

On the form he received about handguns it stated that he had to be a LI resident for at least a year and then have 4 recommendations for those other than relatives or fellow workers. Since he knows no one in LI, except for those with whom he works, he will likely not be able to apply for over twelve months. Then, he was told the process takes up to two years. Bummer!

6. Rio

I don’t know about two years but yes he needs to be a resident and that takes a year, I think in a year he’ll make a few friends, all you need to do is to say hey fuck you!! They’ll say fuck you back and that is how you become friends , welcome to New York.

Ben. and desmodus like this.
  7. Ben.

Ben. Not FBI JDBA Official Member

Greetings from a fellow Long Islander.

The following is how I operate, but should not be taken as legal advice.

I own a variety of knives; automatic, balisongs, OTF, and folders. The only ones I will carry out of the house on a daily basis are non-assisted folders, using a deep carry clip to draw minimal attention. I will not pocket carry any knife when going into New York City. When necessary I will transport knives in a small pelican style case, in my backpack. When I go camping upstate I will open carry and use any knife as I please.

Unfortunately there is no concrete way to interpret the laws. My best advice is to just be smart about it, know who your audience is, and don't do anything to draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

Feel free to invite your son to a NJKCA Meeting, they (usually) take place on the 3rd Saturday of every month in Garwood, NJ. They are easily accessible via public transportation from Long Island. I'm happy to assist your son in getting there and/or grab a beer.

mike_geno and Mr.LaBella like this.
  8. KnifeNut8589

KnifeNut8589 Tiny Member

Hello Drill Sergeant! I live in not-so-sunny NJ and used to travel to nyc/Long island several times per year to visit family n friends. That is, until that Nitwit
    DA Cyrus Vance extended his innate gun hatred to include knives as well. Now I avoid ny at all cost. As far as knives go, a good rule of thumb is, "If anyone else besides you can tell that you are carrying a knife, you are BEGGING to be at a minimum, detained more likely arrested." Having a visible pocket clip is "menacing." In all other sane locations, you actually have to pull the knife and hreaten someone with it to get charged with that. One of my old njng platoon Sergeants was a port authority cop and he told me the only "safe" knife is a small swiss army folder.

9. Drill Sergeant

Hi Ben,

Apologize for the late reply to your invitation to my son. Don't know why I didn't recognize it earlier - and I do appreciate it on his behalf.

He is working hard to establish himself with a new location, job etc. Has little time for almost anything else. He had to leave all of his firearms and knives with me (he took one small fixed blade knife). Since he knows almost no one there he is concerned about having anything pointy or that goes boom at his residence. I can't blame him. Scary and obtuse laws.

I think I'll stay in Arizona.

Ben. likes this.
  10. Guillermo

Guillermo 7th Man of the 7th son Super Moderator

My son was moving to go to Va Tech and I think he said nothing over X inches and took his SAK. Many weapon laws here in Virginia are old and vague at best. To that add local laws and everything becomes illegal depending on how they want to read it.