1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Need help on first handgun purchase...

myowngod Feb 27, 2010

1. myowngod

myowngod Huge member

So I've decided to get my concealed carry permit/license, and buy my first real hand gun... I grew up with guns, always hunting, have an OLLLLLD ruger .22 mag revolver my father gave to me, but it's not exactly something you could carry easily. My father hasn't bought a pistol since the 80's, and since he is usually my go-to gun-nut, he told me I should ask someone a little more updated... hence the post...

I only have AROUND $500-$600 to spend at the moment, as I am about to move and... well that gets expensive.. I like to make my own decisions, but would REALLY appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction of some well proven models/brands... I want something large enough to be useful, but small enough to EDC (by the way, if you don't mind, would love some suggestions as to how you would EDC a pistol in an office setting)..

Any and all advice is appreciated... Thank You.

2. Rock

Rock Kowulz.com

I would recommend a Glock 26 (9mm), Glock 27 (40 cal) or a Taurus Model 85 in Stainless Steel (38 Special). The Glocks are sub-compacts and hold twice the ammo as the Taurus, but will run you about $529.00 new if you shop around vs. about $300 for the Taurus. All three are roughly the same size.

A lot of what works for concealed carry depends on not just your attire, but your size and build. I can carry any of the three in an Uncle Mike's Inside the Pocket holster in the front pocket of my cargo shorts or pants, unnoticed, but I am a big guy and wear fairly loose clothes. Despite the holster, the Glocks are blockier and will print a little, especially when sitting as the fabric tightens.

Ask some police officers what they carry off duty.

3. myowngod

myowngod Huge member

Thanks Rock, I will ask a few cops I know what they think.

I like the glocks you recommended, actually had been looking at the glock 23, but was wondering if it was too large to carry on me...

My build is sorta short and stocky @ 5'9" and 185lbs, I'm finally back in shape so my clothing is a little tighter now-days - but at work I have to wear slacks or khaki's most of the time, and the khakis broadcast my knives enough I know a gun would be very apparent.

Smaller guns tend to be less accurate, would a sub-compact like the glock 27 be noticibly less accurate than a slightly larger gun (ie. glock 23)...

Need to find a place to hold a 27 and see how it feels...

4. J-rod007

J-rod007 Pleasant Plucker Brigade Member

Ultimate Relaibility.............S&W 642 w/o internal lock. Goes "boom" everytime you pull the trigger.

Another option is the Kahr PM9.

If you are like me, you will learn that the first purchase was not the best idea. 5" 1911 guns are great but summer carry is a bitch. Get something that you can carry anywhere, in any dress, in any condition.

5. culpeper

culpeper Devil May Hare

I would shop around and wait to buy anything until you actually get the permit because you never know. It took over three months of waiting for me. The S&W revolvers are in your price range and as mentioned can be worn year round.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
  6. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

There are many ways of concealing a gun....choosing the right holster for the situation is just as important (if not more so) that the choice of gun....here`s a couple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PCOmaEOEPI

and this one from Supertucks (note how the leather extends up between the slide and your body):

7. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

I suggest looking at a Glock 23 and carry via IWB or a S&W 340PD and pocket carry.

OK, the 340PD may be abit out of the range your looking at, so a 642 would fit nice too.

Another awesome CCW in what your looking at is a CZ P-01

(Check out Youtube for video reviews of all the guns your considering. It gives you a chance to hear other peoples perspectives and see more of the guns in action and taken apart, etc..)

SSandshark1050 likes this.
  8. Rock

Rock Kowulz.com

MOG,

I have owned eighteen Glocks, including models 17, 19, 22, 23, 26, and 27. I could hit a playing card at fifty feet with all of them, consistently, out of the box including the subcompacts. I have had four of the Taurus Model 85s and I can say the same for all of them.

If you need greater accuracy than that, its probably not self defense anymore!

The one form of concealed carry I am totally against, is IWB holsters in the small of the back. If you get shoved over, or fall backwards, the last thing you want to do is land with a block of metal pressed against your spine!

There are some good books on concealed carry and some crap. Use common sense.

9. HotrodKelley

HotrodKelley Brigade Member Brigade Member

Glock 23 with night sights.

10. Southern Cross

Southern Cross Level: True Devil

Glocks....cheap....accurate...reliable...they have it where all guns want it...except one area...Glocks are ugly as piss. People that say they like the looks are the same guys that dug those old boxy Volvos because they were safe. Before the Glock faithful take aim...it was to make a small point. The most important part of a gun purchase is figuring out what you want in a gun. Glocks never make it on my radar because the most important thing to me is aesthetics. A gun needs sexification before I even look. Its sad I know...but at least I admit it. So I go for looks, caliber then reliability...finally what the public says about it. If you're looking for a gun and don't care about sex appeal...an utterly reliable revolver or a Glock is a safe bet. If you don't care about carry or weight and just want to scare the shit out of someone...Desert Eagle should do it. If you want some history, a proven design and sex appeal...tough to beat a 1911. You want a modular, safe design...the XD series would do the trick.

My first handgun was a SIG SP2340...because it looked cool and had a groovy laser. It looks insanely sweet. Of course...my first trip to the range I immediately knew I made a mistake when the recoil made me shit my pants and I missed the target completely. 40S&W in the polymer SIG was a bit much to learn to shoot on.

What are they key things you want in your shooter?

11. jimmydred

jimmydred Duraznos Pesado

Are you shooting those playing cards "face side" or from the side ( so as to hit the less than 1mm thick target from the side?)

No BS I saw some "cowboy shooter" on TV, shooting playing cards from the side...consistently cutting them in half! :gunfighter:

Rock, you got a secret identity? :alcapone:

Back to Topic...if you are planning on using it :gun:Then you need to find a firearms store, and handle a few.

Find one that "speaks" to your hand...Let nature take it's course.

-Jimmy

12. HotrodKelley

Most people would want reliability first.
    I can see it now... "the victim was shot to death because his gun didn't work"
    but hey... It sure was a purty one
    :shockedevil:

And No, I never liked volvos

jimmydred likes this.
  13. Rock

Rock Kowulz.com

I'll take an "ugly" gun over shitting my pants and missing my target any day! :jdsmokin:

HotrodKelley likes this.
  14. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

For that price. Glock 27. Good quality IWB. Leather of course.
    Pull out your shirt a little or wear a light jacket around the office.

Practice practice practice, draw and fire exersises at 7-10 feet.

I dont own any Glocks.

15. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse Set your motherfucker to "receive"

Buy a Sig.

16. Dylan

Dylan crew chief

Glock 19 (or 23). It's a boring answer...but it's the right one :D

17. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Finkenstein shit kid Brigade Member

Glocks point funny (as in I had to shift grip position to shoot) and are blocky, non-ergonomic. I had a 27 and it sucked. It also was not reliable, so I got rid of it.

I have a S&W 642 which I like a lot. Had I to do it over, I might have gotten the bodyguard version with the shrouded hammer to keep single action ability as well.

18. myowngod

myowngod Huge member

Thank you all for the replys, I guess the best thing to do now is go see which of the more recommended models fit my hands best, and which I think my frame can conceal...

I will primarily look at the Glock 23 & 27, and the 3.8" XDm... just wish this town had more options, as I doubt any of the 3 total gun stores here actually have those 3 in stock...

19. HotrodKelley

I know this after shooting Glocks most my life, that they get more accurate after shooting them and breaking them in.
    Also, at most gun shows, there is always a glock armorer there to help repair Or replace parts IF a problem arises.
    I've never seen this with ANY other gun manufacturer.

20. Southern Cross

Southern Cross Level: True Devil

I know I know...its not the smartest reason to make a firearms purchase on...but I can't help it. I buy guns as a collector first...shooter second...home defense a distant third. That's just me though...they are just so damn pretty.

Sounds like you have a good plan and a good idea of what you want. Just need to hit up some gun stores now. What was said about a gun speaking to you is true...sometimes when you hold one...they whisper...buy me...squeeze me...shoot me.