1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

need advise on brass or SS pins

Centerfinger May 28, 2008

1. Centerfinger

Centerfinger George Clooney is a Spy

I'm having a couple of knives made for me, but I'm not sure if I should go with brass or SS pins and would like some advise. they're getting cocobolo handles, which pins do you think will result in a better look?

2. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

On wood I prefer the look of the brass.

It is Totally Subjective.

MIke

3. GSC

GSC knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

It's SS all the way for me, it will look better with your handle mat. Look at Scott Cooks fixed blades and you will see what I mean. Just my .02 Gordon

4. BARKER

BARKER knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I agree, totally personal preference. I don't care for brass on anything, and like stainless on everything.
    -John

5. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Does the knife have a guard or bolsters? Is the blade mirrored?

6. Centerfinger

here is the specific knife, no bolsters or guard. I'm getting 2 of these one in orange g10, that i'm going to go with SS pins. I'm just on the fence on the cocobolo, though i'm leaning towards brass. They are going to all be satin finished. I'm also getting 2 of John's large size (pic 3) to match the smalls.

Multi-purpose small
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

multi-purpose large
    [​IMG]

7. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Since the cocobolo is a bit dressy

why not brass mosaic pins?

8. quasimodo

quasimodo Level: True Devil

I prefer nickle silver over brass.

9. blad5

blad5 Little member

This would be my choice!

Paul

10. Centerfinger

mosaics were my 1st choice:bobdance:!

Due to a time constraints, Landi is taking a few that he made for me to blade so I have to roll with what he has on hand. Its kinda a plus cause my steel will be here sooner.

11. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

I really like brass and always have but, it's not popular right now. Either material would look very nice with Cocobola (one of my favorite woods as well) but, for strength purposes I use SS pins on my knives. If you prefer the color of brass but, want more strength you could always use bronze pins also.
    Just my $0.02