1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

My very first folder...*EvEr*!!

Galloglas Aug 22, 2007

1. Galloglas

Galloglas knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Last week I made good on my threats to abandon my Japanese styled roots and swords and finally learn how to make a liner lock folding knife. Under the generous and precise guidance of my teacher, Terry Knipschield, I created my first ever folding knife. I'd been drawing designs for a couple weeks just to find the weak spots in my approach and Terry thought one of the designs (with some small but very important modifications to the pivot and stop pin locations...) would work. So he guided me thru a hands on creation and I saw my design come to life in a 3D working knife of my own design.

[​IMG]

We took one of the paper models I had made and stuck it to steel stock and then made a template out of it. Terry then showed me how to place the three vital parts of the mechanism correctly (pivot pin, liner lock, and stop pin) and then I proceeded to cut out and grind the necessary components from stock supplied by Terry. I did the rough cutting and drilling and Terry lent his expert skills at the more difficult aspects of finish grinding the blade bevels and final finish to speed up the finish and reduce the possibility of a newbie induced "fatal error".

[​IMG]

We used titanium for the liners, ATS-34 for the blade and spacer bar, camel bone for the scales and the bolsters are antique wrought iron from 19th century anchor chain. The whole thing is set off with gold screws and purple anodized liners.

I'm thrilled to finally have a point with which to begin making my own folding knife designs and equally lucky to have had such a gracious and patient teacher. Let's hope the first ones to come out of my shop are as good as the one made under Terry's expert guidance. If you get a chance, check out Terrys knives at: http://www.knipknives.com/

And thanks for looking!

Brian

2. Manganr

Manganr Devils Supermoderator Super Moderator

That is, visually at least, SUPERB! Great lines and a good choice of materials for a top quality tool. Of course there is always something that needs to be asked..........

My question???

Simple really.

When does the Passaround start??:manganr: 'cos i'd love to try it!

3. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Enormous member

Personally, I think it looks like a real piece of sh---eer marvelousness!!!!!

Are you sure this is your FIRST folder?! :ropeman:

Like I said, marvelous!

However, that abelone sheath needs a little work, lol!...

4. Les George

Les George George Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Very nicely done, sir! :ernie:

5. e3ck

e3ck toolmaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

That is a damn nice first:thumbsup:

6. Joe Whalen

Joe Whalen knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Man, that turned out real nice. Those bolsters are really cool.

7. CraftGeek

CraftGeek On an extended synaptic sabbatical

Bask in the accolades friend. You've earned them.

Great work!

8. Peter Lezard

Peter Lezard Hobbit of Fortune

Very cool! I like the way the whole thing is put together. Now make another one...:madaddy::bwah:

9. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Very nice

very nice - first folder maybe, but definitely not first knife!

10. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

Wow, that looks great. More pics and specs of it are needed. Great choices in material, especially the bolsters. Well done.

11. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Nice design. The beveled handle adds a helluva character to the entire profile.

12. Galloglas

Thanks for the kind words, you guys! I have wanted to learn to build folders for about 15 years but finally had the gumption to hook up with a knowledeable and willing maker to fill me in on the details.

It'll be a while before I can set up shop to make folders and gather the necessary materials and tools to produce knives like this consistantly. But I have a few nice designs I'm working on right now like a pocket folding skein dubh and a "stretched" version of this coffin handle that is sleeker, slimmer, and a bit more naughty. I hope to produce some like this with wrought bolsters/scales with bayonet style blades.

We'll see where it goes...I sure don't seem to be having any trouble coming up with ideas for materials and designs. Now all I have to do is get enough time (I'm job searching right now...) to make a few and develop my skills. When I do there will be pix because, as we all know, Devilz *DeMaNd* pictars.

Brian

13. demkoknives

demkoknives knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

don't worry about that job thing, just make more folders

14. stephanfowler

stephanfowler knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

WOW Brian, that came out super nice.

Good on ya mate

I really like the use of the wrought for bolsters with the Camel Bone, they compliment each other

IMO a lot of folder makers just grab the current Chic material and go, and you don't see quality material like that very often

15. Galloglas

Thanks, Stephan!

I have this idea to incorporate wrought iron in a lot of designs as it looks nice (it's visually interesting...like damascus/PW steels) and it is "warm" to the hand and eye. I think the antique iron has a feel and a presence that can enhance the feel and personalization of a pocket knife even if I put micarta or carbon fiber on as scale material.

Actually, in combination with some custom pattern welded stainless it really looks nice and complementary especially if heat colored, rust blackened, and combined with other higher tech materials like titanium and G10 and stuff.

We'll see how it all works over the next few years and if I can get some of the designs I have made into real live knives. I keep gravitating to stuff with a more "weapon" profile and I wanna limit that to some degree. But we make what we like, you know?:madaddy:

Brian

16. stephanfowler

stephanfowler knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

yea, ive done a couple wrought fittings with your blackening technique and when it goes well its a REALLY neat look,

i had one piece that i swear looked like oak stained jet black, but iridecent shiny, awesome lookin piece

wrought is fun stuff

17. BlueSkyJaunte

BlueSkyJaunte waster of perfectly good steel

I've (quietly) admired your Japanese-style stuff for a long time now and it's good to see you expanding and applying your talents in other areas.

That's amazing for a first folder.

When do you start taking orders for "gents' tacticals"? :wes:

18. Galloglas

Mmmm...black rust finished wrought iron with either real mammoth ivory or ivory paper micarta. That's gonna happen in the "Executive Back Stabber" series. Stiletto-ish profiles and naughty combinations of stainless/titanium and wrought bolsters. I get weird thinking about that! :devilzeek

As far as the Japanese stuff goes I am pretty much done with it publicly. It's been a lot of fun over the last 15 years but there are *WaY* too many "experts" who know all the proper Japanese words and seem to be able to get exactly what they want for about $125 so I'm done with that. I'll always make swords and the Japanese style stuff for my own consumption and pleasure but I'm dropping it publicly like a hot fuckin' rock.

I'll express myself as a cutler with folders now. I may throw a sword or two on a table at a future knife show or for "show and tell" at the dojo but I am done catering to the Japanese sword aficionados with all their attitudes, airs, and silly ideas about tradition, samurais, and honor.

Not that I'm bitter, mind you. :evilness:

Brian

19. BlueSkyJaunte

BlueSkyJaunte waster of perfectly good steel

Wow, Brian! Very sorry the haters got you down. I really am impressed with your work. There's a time and place for "traditional". Such as, I'm having a shinken made for use in the dojo and my sensei has provided me with specifics as to size, weight, mount style, etc. That is his prerogative if I am to use it in his dojo.

On the other hand, nobody can tell you what to make for yourself or your customers. If it makes you happy, then I say "to hell with them!" :firedevil

I hope you do continue to make Japanese-style pieces in the future and that if you do you share them with us at JD.

20. Galloglas

Well, I apologize for being a "downer" about the whole trip and I sincerely appreciate the kind words about my work. I'm really hot for the folder thing and as soon as I get my house in order and the new shop underway I'll be a lot happier and hopefully a lot more productive. I think when I get settled I might have 2 finished folders a month for show and tell.

With the sword thing it was maybe one a year...

Brian