1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

My Trip to the Mark Terrell Knives Shop.

Ren the Devilz Trailboss Sep 29, 2008

1. Ren the Devilz Trailboss

Ren the Devilz Trailboss Oompa Loompa named Corky

Mark was kind enough to fly me down to Mason Texas last week and let me hang around in his shop while he worked on knives for S.O.S. and some orders. I was I am sure very helpful to Mark...The days kind of went like this..

Ren: Mark what is this button for
    Mark: DON'T TOUCH THAT
    Ren: Mark I spilled this stuff on the ground and its smoking is it supposed to do that?
    Mark: Call 911
    Ren: Wow when I tried to Polish that Damascus folder you just finished the blade just Snapped in half...that wheel spins really fast...Was that knife expensive?

o.k. I'm lying..but I had the privilege to watch a perfectionist and a master at work and was very impressed with what I saw.

Here are some pics...

a shot of Marks shop. Mark is very clean and detail minded. His shop reflects this.
    [​IMG]

some folders that were in the last stages of assembly. Mark does everything on his folders. His screws, Spacers, and Clips are all high polished and then heat treated with a torch to color and then polished again. A painstaking process..

[​IMG]

Mark's Oven...he does all his own heat treat to exacting standards..
    [​IMG]

Knives in the works....

[​IMG]

While watching Mark work he would assemble a folder..hand it to me to examine and play with. I of course thought they were perfect but Mark was never quite happy. He said.." If this is a knife that I would not carry then my customers will not carry it either" and there was always something that did not feel right to him and the knife would be disassembled and a washer or a small spot on the back of the blade was touched up and reassembled again. Marks detail on the Clip assembly is a amazing painstaking process. Matt Cohen ( Marks bud and apprentice ) said to me that he has seen Mark fuss over one clip on one knife for over 5 hours till he thought it was perfection.

Here is one of Marks folders that I shot pics of assuming it was finished...This knife received three hours additional work after these shots...

[​IMG]

Fixed blades are just as exacting. I watched Mark put the finish grind on Several fixed blades and sharpen them. An amazing process. Mark is so good at this he probably could do this in his sleep and when finished OMG these knives are sharp..

Some fixed blades that went to the show and to a few customers.

[​IMG]

This is a special evil project that Mark is making for me...a massive evil Trench knife sporting over 22" blade...its gonna be scary...Ill post more pics when its finished..

[​IMG]

and finally...we made it to the show...We were right next to the Martin Knife company...also Great people. Holy Cow were those guys prepared...when We needed water...they had water under their table..When I needed a new TSA lock for my pelican case..Newt even had one of those...Great people...

Here is a shot of corkie at the show...selling his wares...Sorry Mark I know you hate your picture being taken...but dang...when your so good its hard to be humble...as you can see this customer has approached the Terrell table in the proper posture. Kneeling to the Knife Master.

[​IMG]

some other shots I took of Marks Work that...just fooling around with the camera.

[​IMG]

Rio likes this.
  2. Ren the Devilz Trailboss

Ren the Devilz Trailboss Oompa Loompa named Corky

More shots..

The stealth in Ironwood..

[​IMG]

Tactical Boot in Iron wood with Carbon Fiber Bolsters (F22)

[​IMG]

A one of...Blade style similar to the crowd pleaser. I named it the "Crowd Pleaser Lite" anyway ...Iron wood and F22 Carbon Fiber Bolsters..

[​IMG]

A Bunch of Lethal injections ( some are still available BTW) which is a wicked shaft of milled Beta Titanium then heat treat to bring out the cool color ribbons..

[​IMG]

Thats about it I'm not a very good photographer...but a special thanks to Marks wife for putting up with my fat lazy ass and to Mark for his generosity, kindness and letting me visit him and his family and go with him to S.O.S. show.

3. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Great pics of some awesome knives!

mo

4. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Im pretty sure Ren bought half of Marks table before the show was over.
    It was great to meet Ren, Mark and fastsig (the Terrell Mafia) and he had a LOT of nice stuff on his table.

5. shakie

shakie knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Vlasic Pickles YUMMMY!!! Great looking shop, Outragous knives. Ren your a lucky man.

6. Mark Terrell

Mark Terrell knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks for the pics Ren, and the show was good times...... I'm glad Ren could make it down, and yeah, he kind of cornered the market on fixed blades at my table......... Les R. killed off what was left in folders......

I was glad to meet a bunch of you guys, and sorry if we didn't get to talk for long, it was just so damn busy......

MT

7. Cerberus

Cerberus Little member

WOW.........great pics Ren...........I wish I coulda bee there, when you were there :D

cerberus

8. sheathmaker

sheathmaker sheathmaker and M.C. (master of comedy) Knife Maker or Craftsman

Ren, be sure to save the picture of the 22" blade Mark is making for you. I want you to be able to remember the sharp pointy thing on the butt end, because when it gets to my shop for leather I AM GRINDING IT OFF!!!!!!!!!

Paul

9. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

I've enjoyed this thread loads. Really lets you see into a bit more of the maker and learn a little more about him.

As ever very edgy and sharp looking blades Mark, the trench knife is imo a future (if not present) classic.

10. OldPhysics

OldPhysics Little member

Good Heavens, Ren! I didn't know the Mark Terrell was ... just a kid!:devilzeek

Well, just goes to prove that in-born talent, natural inspiration, and some drive can get you places ... even before you're an old fart like me.:demented:

11. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

great pics thanks ren , mark awesome work:devilzeek

12. Mark Terrell

Mark Terrell knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

32 yrs old this April. But I feel soooooooooooooo much older.....

MT

13. Rio

I wonder how Mark is doing, I hear he owes people money and orders are not being met , anybody knows ???

14. Rio

I wonder whatever happen to this guy... he sure had talent.