1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

My second attempts at CAD Balisongs (Warning, Pic Heavy)

Bravo One-Eight Mar 17, 2013

1. Livefreeordie92

Livefreeordie92 Huge member

Hey, all that matters is that it can be thrown 200 feet onto gravel and not break. So long as this one can do it, I'ill take it!

2. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

ummm did you not see I already called it ... sheesh...:bwah:

3. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

The CAD work is nice. How long does it take you to put something like this together? Have you heard of a program called SolidWorks? It would be great for stuff like this. You may also be interested in ZBrush for your 3D modeling. Things see going to get interesting once everyone can have a 3-d printer. Have fun and good luck. :thumbsup:

4. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

guy... solidworks costs a small fortune (A single license of SolidWorks Premium 2012 CAD System has a baseline price of $3,995.) and 3d printers (the lower end home use printers) can only hold so much in tolerances, it would make for a shit balisong on nearly all levels plus the media to print with might be ok for mocking up but if the tolerances are wack (+- 2 thou) then its not a very realistic modeling option, your better to not spend the money and save it for a real proto in metal... each part of a precision balisong is like a project in and of itself... its a bit more intense then most people seem to understand.

5. Palethius

Palethius Customizer Knife Maker or Craftsman

:yeahthat:

6. reaperRick

reaperRick Average member

We all make are start some where. Very ambitious project but like others have pointed out it will take a tremendous amount of work, time and money. From designing the knife, sourcing materials, making a proto contracting a shop to produce them, getting customer feedback on what works and what doesn't and a whole lot more I'm probably leaving out.
    Right now I'd suggest you research, learn, research and learn some more. The more you know about the product and what the market is looking for the better your chances are of making a quality balisong that people will want to buy.

7. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

With Balisongs I have learned to not believe anything until you see it.

:devilroll:

8. Bravo One-Eight

Bravo One-Eight Little member

I made a couple other changes for the people that don't approve of me basing stuff off Benchmade... well, last iteration, for now. Figured if the best way to make these is by waterjet cutting then using a woodruff keycutter on a horizontal mill to do the slot, might as well take advantage of that.

[​IMG]

I did post something last year, but I had a different design that I started off the wrong way with an approach that wasn't so great (straight handles made of round bar, a weirdly shaped blade, and combs for a blade instead), and I was told that a number of things wouldn't work out. So I've been trying to avoid my mistakes and listen to what the community says. Plus, back then I wasn't as experienced with CAD and I thought now that I've gotten a bit more practice things would work out a bit better. I've done collision simulation and interference using NX, I figure that'd be a bit more precise than using a foamcore model.

Alright, I'll order a Benchmade Model 62T Trainer, or maybe something else that tickles my fancy and hope that arrives. In the meantime ok, I'll stop, you've made your point.

Thanks, and yep! Solidworks was something of a low-cost alternative to NX, but I think it's great, too. For man-hours, in terms of the time spent actually clicking my way through CAD, I think I've sank about maybe around 30 or so into these so far. Most of the time is actually spent making changes; the model's actually pretty fast to go up but making changes tends to be something of an iterative process.

Thanks, I will definitely try my best.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  9. Icceal555

Icceal555 Huge member

Interesting handle design, I think it would function quite well. You probably don't want to use a double edge as you sole profile if you want to appeal to flippers, though. Ordering a 62t is a good start, but to get really valuable hands on experience, you'll probably need to handle a real knife that was designed for flipping, like a PAB or a Tach2. I can't advocate breaking the law on this forum, but the Canadian authorities don't seem to care if you simply keep them in your house and are otherwise law-respecting. I at least haven't gotten any trouble.

10. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If you want an example of a well made Bali get a BM 62 or 60T.

If you want an example of a excellent flipper get a Tach2.

If you want an example of a well made Bali as well as an excellent flipper get a PAB.

The BM62 is generally considered mud for flipping because its short and heavy... I would think that the trainer would be just as bad.

11. InfinityShade

InfinityShade Level: True Devil

Now that i like, Those handles have a design that is personal to you. I've never seen anything done with that design. Now that you have your handles. Lets go back to the blade and latch. The horns on the blade seem to be a bit too large. Those may cause pinching when flipping or when opening the bali for use. Next the kicker pins, they look nice but serve no functionality, i'd remove them from the design. Next the blade. Flip the safe with the bite side.

This is what i see working better. Its kind of like the 42 or 41 blade. It needs alterations but its an idea.

[​IMG]

^ Try something like that or a tanto.

12. tx101

tx101 Stuck in the middle with you JDBA Official Member

You read Nardath's post

:ropeman:

13. mourgos

mourgos Little member

Hey Bravo,
    I know this thread is too old but did you ever made the balis out of your designs?
    Do you still have the cad files? Can I have them? I had a similar idea and bumped into your thread. I have never used CAD and wanted something to use as a base and work off from there if possible.

14. armedpootles

armedpootles JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

hmm good questions

15. Phason

Phason Huge member

i love to know also......:ropeman: