1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

My perfect pocket folder, does it exist?

dominico Jun 20, 2017

1. dominico

dominico Little Member

After carrying around my father's emerson for a few days I've decided that I really like the wave function. I am not very keen on the thumb disk however. It gets in the way and I find it much more awkward to use than say a flipper for example.

I really wish I had a knife with both a wave and a flipper. Something like the ZT 0562 Hinderer but with a wave would be perfect for me.
    I like the size of the ZT 0562, I like that it is a frame lock, I like its deep pocket carry clip. I like the blade shape, I like the steel. I like that it has no damn thumb disk. If only it also had a wave.
    Is there a knife out there that meets these criteria? Or could I send a ZT 0562 somewhere to get functional wave ground into the spine?

2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I've seen a couple pictures recently of a folder someone drilled into the spine and put a small piece of round stock sticking out of it at an angle. Worked just like the wave. May be an option for you. Good luck.

3. dominico

dominico Little Member

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  4. TKC

TKC Earthbound misfit Lady Devil

5. dominico

dominico Little Member

This is true, and I almost bought the sheepdog, but it still has that awful thumb disk (which could be removed and ground down). One thing that was simply an assumption of mine is that framelocks are thinner and less bulky in the pocket than knives with scales on both sides. I could be wrong, but I was under the assumption that the zt 052 is more svelt than the sheepdog. I wish handle thickness were listed among the specs.

6. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

I was all jazzed up about the wave function for a time, after a while, ehh. If you aren't big on thumb disks or studs spyderco makes a waved delica and endura. Delica is one of the best edc pocket knives out there but if you are set on a framelock you could very easily add or have added a wave function to any number of knives, that ZT looks pretty rad if you're into the wave. ZT is rugged like the day is long but so is spyderco, my delica has taken a beating and still no play or blade rock whatsoever.

7. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

I've carried a Spyderco 1st generation Endura for over 20 years. Still tight as new. The original clip (one piece, made from the same material as the rest of the handles) broke off about 15 years in. Sent it back to Spyderco. They installed the newer metal clip, sharpened the blade, and returned it, good as new, FREE OF CHARGE!

I suppose I'll be able to carry it another 20 years.

Dustygmt likes this.
  8. dominico

dominico Little Member

Yeah, I've almost pulled the trigger on the 0562 more times than I can count, but I haven't found one "beater" enough to feel good about taking a dremel to it if I wind up not liking the result. That said, I've somehow found other knives to spend my money on, ha! I bought a Todd Begg Mini Bodega, the thing is beautiful but there is no way I'm going to cut a wave into that!

I thought I was set on framelock, but Viper knives is coming out with a Hinderer collab this month, I like the look / blade shape on that more than the ZT.

The spyderco's, the aesthetics just aren't for me.

9. Dustygmt

Don't quote me but I believe ZT replacement blades are like $30 So if you messed up you're just out a few bucks as opposed to the entire cost of the knife. If you bought a delica, I bet you'd love it aesthetics aside...

10. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Medford Colonial , is the best but I do like the midi marauder too ,you can't kill these knives .I have never see a knife so well made and build like a tiger tank but only buy them second hand there very expensive and the resale can be half of retail .Trust me you can't go wrong with a medford

crogers and Dustygmt like this.
  11. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

One more plug for Spyderco. At least go feel one up and see if it is for you.

This would be a good option for you:
    [​IMG]

Though I may just try to find one of these:

[​IMG]

as a most practical carry.

12. Dustygmt

Most practical?

13. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

Umm, for cutting stuff?

I like my Rescue a lot. A waved Rescue would be more better-er.

14. dominico

dominico Little Member

I've got a Viper Keeper for office carry, it hit all my requirements except that its a liner lock instead of a frame lock. It also looks "gentlemanly" for a nearly 4 inch blade.

I carry a Hinderer Storm on the weekends, still liner lock but very beefy liners. I put a deep carry clip on it and *gasp* dremeled myself a little "bottle opener" on the spine.

desmodus likes this.
  15. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

#voidedwarranty