1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

My other addiction, Bonsai Tree's.

abqjoe Jun 2, 2016

1. abqjoe

abqjoe JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. longbow

longbow scratch n sniffer

Very nice. A guy I used to work with got onto the Bonsai thing years ago. Just very cool. thanks for sharing. keepem sharp

3. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Bonsai working is good for your center of gravity. :thumbsup: Great stuff; tnx.

4. WalkingTree

WalkingTree JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Those are some gorgeous examples! Its an amazing hobby, I love your juniper! I tried getting into this a little while back, and started out with an absolutely gorgeous juniper (bad idea) and it was dying on me within a month. Not enough natural light in my tiny ass apartment for these guys :cry:

5. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

Unwatering is generally the cause of death vs low light, tho Bonsai need fairly strong light, and I believe South or East facing windows are recommended. Im dying for a 30yr old+ Ficus Macrophylla or Chinese Elm! I have tons of plants but no formal Bonsai. I gotta go tree shopping/chopping:unintroduced:

6. WalkingTree

WalkingTree JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Well I tried my damnedest to keep it watered and healthy all I could, I swear! According to what Ive read, junipers can be difficult to keep healthy indoors. My situation was not conducive to say the least

7. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Dupe

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  8. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Thanks for sharing, Joe! I also used to have a bonsai and orchid collection before leaving for the US over 30 years ago. Much easier to care for them in the tropics! Haven't really had much success with either of them on this side of the world, unfortunately...

9. abqjoe

Thanks for the compliments guys, glad you all enjoyed the pics. I'll post some more next weekend after I give the Ficus a root trim and new pot:)

10. abqjoe

From what I've been learning is that every different species of Bonsai have different needs. Some absolutely need a lot of light whereas others thrive in the shade. Some need a lot of water like my Ficus but others like my Hawaiian Umbrella Tree prefer less water. Their needs are species specific.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016
  11. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

I enjoy raising Orchids. Learned a lot about them from my mother who had a helluva lot of them in Florida.

When I moved to Colorado over 40 years ago, I brought a few with me. Even out here with long Winters and single digit humidity,
    they thrive if you know a thing or two about their care.

Quick pic from my phone of one windowsill in my living room just after Christmas. And yep, that's snow on a ski hill in the back round.
    All these are at least a few years old. Like the rest scattered in windows around the place, they just keep on blooming for months at a time...

[​IMG]

El Gringo and ded i like this.
  12. abqjoe

Beautiful! I love how plants and trees seem to add life to the inside of a home.

13. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

love the pics abqjoe(Kesuke Miyagi) very motivating.

i know very little about the bonsai but have always wanted to try it.

i have a 15-20 year old japanese maple in front of my house thats very bonsai like and beautiful. it took a hard hit this last winter and lost some important limbs/thought it was going to die but i trimmed carefully and sealed the openings with pruning seal. it seems to be thriving and will grow in fuller no doubt.

i've been wanting to get more into it for houseplants.

heres my jap maple, poor guy east coast winter was rough on it.
    [​IMG]

14. Nirvana

Nirvana Formerly known as baliforge JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Those Bonsai plants are awesome. I really like the variety that you have. Thanks for sharing.

15. abqjoe

That is an awesome tree! Just so you know, it could be dug up, given a thorough root trim, put in a Bonsai pot, and taken inside:) That tree has potential for sure!

apdallaround likes this.
  16. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

There was a previous thread a while back
    [​IMG]

17. abqjoe

Nice tree Shike, about how old is it?

18. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thank you. The ficus I have had for over 15 years and it was that size when I got it. The apple tree on the right is about 4 and I grew it from seed.

19. avillageidiot

avillageidiot Average member

Beautiful thank you very much!

20. abqjoe

My new Elm:devilwag: This one just came in today and it's absolutely gorgeous! 20 years old, already trained, I'm definitely looking forward to caring for this special little soul:) I put some live moss on the top soil and hopefully it takes..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ded i and apdallaround like this.