1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

my first custom

mrbieler Aug 21, 2006

1. mrbieler

mrbieler cursimus cum forfex

Earlier this year I met a new knifemaker at our Southern California meet and greet. After fiddling with a couple of his folders I knew I would own one.

A week later, I called him up and gave him my wish list. It took a while and I patiently, or at least pretended to patiently, wait.

I'm glad I waited. This morning I got an email that he was back from BAKCA and that the knife he made for me won him an award as best new knife maker. I'm happy for him and really happy the knife is mine.

The fit and finish is awesome. The green ti is great. The balance is good and the blade locks up solid. It's exactly as I envisioned it when I first called him in May.

For your viewing pleasure (since I'm not sharing the knife with anyone!), #27 from Brian Fellhoelter, www.knifewerks.com

Brians wife took these pics before the show:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This last pic is mine.
    View attachment 5985

My son, the 5 year old who runs our house, demanded that I put a glowy skull thing on the knife so I had to swap out Brian's lanyard.

2. Lemmy

Lemmy hook in mouth

Cool knife! Great pics! Welcome to the insanity! :thumbsup:

3. txkaratedude

txkaratedude Dewey Cocks Brigade Member

Really cool knife, I like the green anno'd liners! The pics are kinda dark, but I'm guessin' the scales are carbon fiber. And if I took another guess I'd say the bolsters are Ti. What is the blade steel?

4. xrayzebra

xrayzebra whirling dervish

It almost looks to me like the liners are very heavy duty, to the point that the liners are more like a frame behind the bolsters? Is there any frame or structure rear of the bolsters other than the liners and cf scales? Kinda blurs the line between liner and frame lock?

5. mrbieler

CF scales and ti bolsters. Blade is ATS-34.

Xrayzebra, I not sure if I understand your question.

6. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

Hard to believe he has only been making knives for less than a year. He and his wife are very cool too!

7. mrbieler

I know. This is only his 27th knife. I think he started doing this last November.

They're both real nice and she's extremely supportive of this taking off for him.

8. Physics

Physics practices free lance gynocology

Oooohhh... :devilzeek

That's exactly my speed. I totally dig that folder and the green ano is a very nice touch. Looks much better in your pic because the white balance is waaay off her pics.

Maybe we could get some new pics and a few measurements. *wink wink* :jdwink: *nudge nudge* :jdwink3:

I must bookmark his site for future refference. I have a feeling he's about to sell some knives... :coolkid:

9. mrbieler

1/8" ATS-34 blade
    8 1/4" OAL
    4 13/16" closed
    3 3/8" blade (bolster to tip)
    1/2" width excluding clip
    3/4" width with clip
    149 grams with lanyard

10. C.Pettersen

C.Pettersen Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Beauty of a blade my friend...........thats a great looking first custom.

11. Chisel

Chisel off the hook

I think what X-Ray is trying to say is, are the bolsters and the scales more of a facade than part of the structural integrity.

Then agian I may be wrong. As I am often. According to my wife.:ssmile:

Oh yeah, that's a Sweet ass knife!

12. Fellhoelter

Fellhoelter knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

The thickness of the liners is one of those illusions.

Liners are 1/16", Scales and bolsters are 1/8".
    They contribute very much to the structural integrity of this folder.

It also has a 3/8" bronze pivot bushing made from TRD Nascar valve guides...

Brian

mrbieler likes this.
  13. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

HOTT DAMN! its getting busy up in here!

:welcome: to THE forums, Fellhoelter!

:cheers: and :bow:

14. mrbieler

- What he said.

Hey Brian!

15. demkoknives

demkoknives knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

ha thats pretty damn cool!

16. Fellhoelter

It's odd, looking at these photo's it does look as though there is not much difference in size between liners, scales, and bolsters.

I think it is mediocre (far better than what I can do) photo's, and the way it's anodized.

The green really jumps at you, showing its full thickness, while the scales and bolsters are radiused around the edges, and a much lower key color, making them appear thinner.

Thanks for the welcome's by the way....

17. TKC

TKC Earthbound misfit Lady Devil

That IS fantastic!!! I LOVE the GREEN Ti. That is a very, very cool knife!!

18. Fellhoelter

Jeffs Knife now graces page 48 of the May 2007 Tactical Knives.

Congrats Jeff.

19. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

Nice Work Sir!! I don't know why but no stores arouind here carry Tactical Knives Mag:jduh:

20. Boogerball

Boogerball My posse's on Broadway Brigade Member

boogity boogity... swell knife :yesman: