1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

My first Custom Knife - Truly one of a kind

hickory Oct 12, 2017

1. hickory

hickory JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not bad for my first blade, made completely in the dark, with improvised everything and a dremel. Hoping to finish forging out the handle and heat treat Saturday.

This was so much fun, I was born for this...but I won't quit my day job (YET)

Kelper, Rover, desmodus and 1 other person like this.
  2. hickory

A prison shank is born.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

seandavid55, begreen61 and Kelper like this.
  3. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Gotta start somewhere.

Better than any knife I have made.

obi

desmodus, begreen61 and Kelper like this.
  4. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Hey Will ,bought a new old stock knife grinder I save from the salvage yard it was a sweet find in the stockade area in Schenectady,NY. Needs a motor ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats where you come in, foot first ,, they wanted 150.00 they took 75.00 needs a leg rod,or you can give a hand job ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with the crank ,LOL DSCF2693.JPG

AJD1, Kelper and seandavid55 like this.
  5. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Nice find Gary.

begreen61 and Kelper like this.
  6. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'll get her to work .

Kelper likes this.
  7. hickory

Thanks man, I needed a boost! :D Looking forward to getting back out into the (freezing) shop!

Kelper likes this.
  8. hickory

That's awesome. It looks like it would kick ass. the foot-crank is the way to go with it, nice and slow..better than a motor.

Kelper and begreen61 like this.
  9. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Take an old bike apart and have at it. You'll be able to install gears even. A variable speed grinder.

Jens Anso said that if you don't want to devote significant amount of time to making knifes...don't ever start making even one.

His implication (perhaps very obviously) is that It's not something that's easy to stop doing. So I hope you've become obsessed...from obsession comes perfection. And the world needs more perfect knives.

Personally I feel like there are not enough crafts-hu-mans in the world.

When all this tech shit fall apart, crashes, or erases itself...people with real skills will rule the world.

There are oh oh oh so many worse ways to waste your time, fella. Oh so many.

obi

10. hickory

Well I am on the path! I look forward to the journey, it's one of the first things I'm not just looking to the destination.

begreen61, Kelper and seandavid55 like this.
  11. seandavid55

That is all very well said. I like it.

begreen61 and Kelper like this.
  12. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

Not bad for your first Knife!

Now engrave “proto” down the side,Mail it to Arizona C.knives and I’ll bet someone will pay you 3 grand for it..:yeahthat:

13. hickory

Hey if I could, I almost would! Hello belt grinder! I think it will be important to have this one later on down the road when I am Jay Fisher so I can look back and shudder. Thanks for the compliment, you liar! I'm going to do some more woodworking on the handle before I really call it done and then I can switch to knife number two. I'm already daydreaming about that one!

Jim L., Kelper and begreen61 like this.
  14. hickory

I wasn't prepared for the time sink, ha ha. It's nice to make a knife after sitting and obsessing and dreaming about it for YEARS. Lots of time "wasted" either way but this way at least I get knives out of the deal! I still remember the unarticulatable feeling that I got after my first time at the forge that I was engaged in what I had been born to do in some small way. If I can work on knives Hal as much as I used to sit around getting fcked up I'll become one of the most prolific artists on the east coast!

Jim L., Kelper and begreen61 like this.
  15. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Cool a man with a vision.

hickory likes this.
  16. Derek Santa Monica

Derek Santa Monica Tiny Member

It's the most beautiful knife in the world if it works and is there when you need it.

Kelper and desmodus like this.
  17. hickory

My ugly shank sure cuts great!! It's a user.

Kelper and seandavid55 like this.
  18. seandavid55

Nice Job!

Kelper likes this.