1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

My current Barry Wood & Mike Irie collection

likes2watch Feb 9, 2011

1. likes2watch

likes2watch Average member

The knives on the left were made by Mike Irie, Barry's ex-son in law. They partnered for several years in the 90's. The top ones are Model "B"... similar to the older Mk.2 version but with different blade shapes. The top left knife is stag with damascus blade, made in 1995 for the Knifemakers Guild Show (one of 16 made). After Mike and Barry's daughter split, Mike made knives under his name and no longer was working with Barry. The bottom ones are the Mk.10. All steel handle scales.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
  2. likes2watch

A few more added to the collection...

[​IMG]

Gecko likes this.
  3. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Nice collection. My first Barry Wood was acquired in 1972. As it happens it was my first custom knife.

4. mkphc

mkphc Brigade Member Brigade Member

Awesome, thanks for posting, always love looking at them!

5. David1967

David1967 mikov dealer Knife Maker or Craftsman

Great collection. I only had one FB by Mike Irie - but it was perfect knife for the money. He also sold me one of his KIT blades, I had the handle made on it and I still use it - about 13 years later.

[​IMG]

6. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Little member

Thanks for showing, I love seeing line ups like that.

What is the handle on the Irie folder?

7. likes2watch

More added...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gecko likes this.
  8. likes2watch

A few more added to the collection...

Irie knives:
    [​IMG]

Wood knives:
    [​IMG]

The knife in the bottom right is actually a PCC factory made model from the late 80's.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    Gecko likes this.
  9. JTacp

JTacp Little member

Looking for Mk 2 value

Hello, an old newbie here. I hope I'm not being rude but was wondering what the approximate value of a Mk 2 is? I have one I bought off a friend years ago. It's a little ruffed up but I'm sure someone could restore it to excellent condition. The blade is undamaged. Any ideas? Even guesses would be appreciated. Judging from your impressive collection I'm certain you could hazard a very good guess. This thing has been sitting in my sock drawer for years. Thank you and best regards, JT.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  10. JTacp

JTacp Little member

Wow

Sorry but I failed to say that is the most impressive collection of Barry Wood knives I've ever seen. In fact I've never seen that many in my life. Simply awesome. Regards, JT.

11. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

I have an Irie….

Push Dagger…

[​IMG]

12. likes2watch

Nice... Beautiful grind on that & nice stag.
    I just found another Wood Mk.2 with stag scales on it. Had to buy it.

13. JTacp

JTacp Little member

Mk.1 not Mk.2

In my previous post I said I had a Mk.2 and was seeking some info on approximate value. My statement is incorrect the knife in question is a Mk.1. Sorry for any misinformation. I have been trying to post pics to no avail. I will try after I post this since every time I try I lose my posting, four times now. It's probably very simple but I'm dumber than dirt. Sorry.

14. likes2watch

I sent you an email a few days ago requesting you send me pictures. Never heard back from you.

15. JTacp

JTacp Little member

mk.1

Hello Bill. Sorry about that. I have tried to load pics into this thread about four times now to no avail. It's frustrating. I did post these to my gallery however but unable to get them into any post. Frustrating. The pics are not very good, taken with my phone and an led flashlight. The lighting is too harsh but it does detail all of the faults. The knife looks better in the hand. I would like to get some pics outdoor under natural lighting. Very sorry about any confusion or lack of photos, this forum is very similar to USN but the downloads are different. Much easier. Go to my gallery pics and there are five there of this Mk.1. Best regards, JT.

16. likes2watch

Looks fairly worn... plenty of scratches on the well used blade, looks like lots of sharpening, marks on the handles.
    If it was mint, it would be in the $250 to $350 range. In the condition it's in probably around $150 to $175 (that's if you found a buyer).
    I wouldn't try to get it restored, odds are it'll come out looking worse than it is now... and worth even less.

17. JTacp

JTacp Little member

Worn Mk. 1

Yeah I agree with your assessment somebody did do some sharpening on the blade. A lot of scratches all the way around. It obviously was someone who didn't know any better and used it as an everyday beater. What a shame. That's the way I bought it. My friend bought two of them years ago off of someone he knew and sold me that one. I only paid 40 or 50 dollars for it if that and fortunately it does look better in the hand than the photos depict. Also on a seperate note as I said I can't post photos to these threads for some reason. Every time I tried I lost my entire post. It's probably something I'm doing wrong no doubt. Before I close I have one question about that knife. There was a small initial carved into the inside scale of the handle under one of the scale rivets. Is this a makers mark, who is it? Well enough questions. Thank you very much for your time it is greatly appreciated. Best regards, JT.

18. likes2watch

Barry had several people working for him when he was making the production folders (they made thousands). They would put their initials on the inside. That is the mark you see. It's not Barry's, I'm not sure who's mark that is. The only person who I know that worked for Barry was Steve Gilbody (SG). I tracked him down many years ago and talked with him. He's somewhere in Montana if I remember correctly.
    For $40 or $50 you got a very good deal. Enjoy it.

19. likes2watch

Added a few more....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. likes2watch

Still more added to the collection....

Acquired several more knives this year...

Here are my Barry Wood knives...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are by Mike Irie...
    [​IMG]

And these are various other makers...(top left to bottom right) 3 by Michael Raymond, 2 by Scott Sawby, Joe Cordova, Kansei, A.T. Barr, Arno Bernard, Ralph Turnbull, Peter Marker, Mike Sanders, T. Herbst, Charlton.
    [​IMG]