1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Most overrated knife?

wes May 27, 2005

1. WGoodman CPA

WGoodman CPA Little member

Chris Reeve Sebenza

I agree that the Chris Reeve Sebenza knives are over rated and over priced. They have beautiful, functional blades. The workmanship is perfect. The titanium handles are ugly. The pocket clips are too small and tight for wearing with thick pockets such as in jeans. I wish the blades had spring assisted opening, flip, or lever action. I own both the large and small versions, but rarely carry them.

2. HalJordon

HalJordon Little member

I'm with OilMan, I just can't get into Medfords.

3. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Blasphemy!!!:bwah::bwah: Man, I used to live in Easton many years ago.

4. Guillermo

Guillermo 7th Man of the 7th son Super Moderator

I'd almost agree but the Sebenza pretty much did it first and well. Today you see them everywhere but don't forget it is like 25 years old and there was nothing like it back then. Like the 1911 there have been improvements and variations but damn, where would we be without it.

BennytheBlade likes this.
  5. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

I gotta agree.

Reeve set the Bar for production folding knives with the Sebenza.

It's like a Mercedes; you never truly overpay....unless it's Maybach.

6. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Maybachs are NICE NICE NICE. Butt* I do not believe they are a separate brand any longer.....

Sebenzas are definitely worth it!:devilzeek

7. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Busse , In the beginning he as awesome , and creative , now you pay 400.00 /500.00 on a knife he reproduced ,I think he gave up creativity ,thus I lost my shirt on my old busse collection

8. OnceBitten

Yeah...in the "X Brand vs X Brand" thing, I think the Sebbie kinda represents where Production ends and Mid-Tech starts.

9. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

THAT'S the segue i've been waiting for.

i totally understand the classifications production and custom.

mid-tech is a little gray for me.

what are the parameters?

10. OnceBitten

Mid-tech is somewhat of a "semi-custom" where the knife is kinda labeled as "by" a Maker, yet, part(s) of the completion process is/are attributed to production/finishing/assembly by an entity that is other than 100% "In-house".

That's as clear as I can make it.

11. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Finkenstein shit kid Brigade Member

Midtech is where you pay more for a production knife.

12. kaufen

kaufen Little member

The one you paid too much $ for and now don't like

13. OnceBitten

Has anyone mentioned Hinderers?

14. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Brigade Member JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My Hinderer has grown on me, although the community makes me want to puke. It does seem well made. I don't understand the obsession with man jewelry and knife bling. I have some skulls on mine, and it feels a bit cheesy. At least I don't have those crosses on everything, is the idea that they are Christian warriors in the crusade?

Anyway, my pick is Medford. It seemed lame when I got it, and then when I finally broke the rules and opened it I realized how simple it is. You are not allowed to open it, but the washers use grease that collects gunk immediately if you actually use the knife. I keep going back to the Seb 21.

15. Shike

Ha! See my post on page 66 here:manganr:

16. StangCrazy79

StangCrazy79 Little member

Gerber for sure as far as cheap knives go. Everything that I have had from them has been junk.
    I agree Emerson being over rated. I've wanted to try them but I cant get past the price for what you get.

17. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

18. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

19. Shike

:bwah: