1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Most overrated knife?

wes May 27, 2005

1. kenkls

kenkls Huge member

You are 100%,
    however, my point was, as the price point of Hinderer,
    sub 400 for Mid-tech, sub 600 for custom (table price)
    Hinderer is just as good, and competitive as other custom makers. If
    we seperate the table price from the secondary price, i don't see how a Hinderer is over-rated, especially at price point, its way below or even half of some custom makers out there. If over-rated by quality, then i think its another discussion, since, i have not heard one person that can dissagree that its an over-built knife.

Ken

2. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I think the thread has gotten derailed somewhat since the OP stated "Most Over Rated Knife" not the "Most Over Rated Secondary Market Knife".

Hinderer's are excellent knives as are Cook Lochsa's, George FM 1's, etc etc Nobody likes paying double makers price for one of these, especially me but I do it because they are makers I collect.

3. kenkls

kenkls Huge member

+1
    i think if we can narrow down to the maker and their sales pitch..
    like the "No.1 hard use knife in the world"... or "it will survive a nuclear blast better than you..."

I'm for one, have not gotten all of the knives from a lot of famous and reputable makers. especially with some that have listed as quality and top of the line fit and finish. I.E. There is one maker that was listed but didn't work out for me. I didn't list it, because i have only another friend that had the similar issue, but he had three and all had blade play.

So, i think this thread is good for those who have not tried but was pull into the hype. I for one love this thread and hope that we can keep the discussion going and not focus on the secondary price, since it fluctuates more often than we can count.

4. JesseJames

JesseJames Little member

Bucktards. It just seems every southern hunter type I run into thinks that their lockback buck knife is the holy grail of man made tools. There are MANY people to this day that will never buy anything else. Granted the company has price efficient, history etc etc, and is getting better since they have tremendous competition.

..........Oh and of course those Emersons. The grind, the lockup, the styling. All of it leaves me wondering where the price comes into effect. And they have a huge following as well. Granted their liner locks are fine I'm sure, its just at that price you'd think you'd recieve a bit more engineering besides the WAAAAAAVVVEEEE OPENING!!!!!!!

5. Rob_Angerer

Rob_Angerer Average member

Most anything Phill Hartsfield made and sold. How he got the prices he did for the workmanship he produced is a miracle...

6. wesmamyke

wesmamyke Little member

Do you mind me asking who Bob is?

I used to have a dealer that would check every knife, you actually had to ask him not to open a knife if you wanted something sealed.

7. misfit

misfit Somebody check my brain

Most overrated knife has to be whatever knife we've just had to have, made of whatever new material and spent beyond our budgets. The very same knives that once we got home NEVER saw the light of day again because it was stashed away in some drawer or safe. We've all been guilty of it!

8. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Brous Blades knives :ropeman:

9. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

You missed that boat , my friend.
    Bob Bartoli was a legend in the game and left us in 2006.
    If you ever need to get your laugh on , search some old posts from bartone ..............it will change your life.

10. Ian Minton

Ian Minton sitting on Palatine Hill

Well said:ross::ross::ross::ross:

11. Piet.S

Piet.S knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Not by many.

12. knifeaholic1

knifeaholic1 Little member

funny thread

opinions are like a$$holes.....
    I LOVE my Emersons, they fit my hand incredibly well and feel soooooo nice. Great action and the wave feature is (to me) so simple and revolutionary that EVERY tactical knife should pay Emerson to license it. What knife comes out of you pocket already open and ready to rock n' roll? (not unless is fixed)
    On the other hand I have a nice Spydie Police that the tip broke... good knife but very weak blade. my Emerson cost about the same and wouldn't have had the tip broken
    I'm not buying custom and paying 1000$ for a knife so what do I know??
    I knife is a tool and was made to use it, not to measure it with a caliper and bitch because the liner is 0.0005 mm off

13. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

Did you just come to the party to justify why you like Emerson or are you going to answer the question that the thread poses? What do you think is the most overrated knife? Don't be mad because others don't like Emerson. Not many Emerson lovers here.

14. singularity35

singularity35 Huge member

Nevermind.

15. LorenzoL

LorenzoL Rampaging Devil

:bwah:

16. Badger01

Badger01 Average member

Ok so this is prob. not gonna fly very far here. However in my opinion "Production" Striders are way over rated. But to be fair. I own many striders fixed and folders. And let me say this.... They are Great Knives. Read again I think that striders are great knives. I carry them some, and also give them as gifts. I have a strider fixed blade that I have carried all over the world. It is tough as nails. However. Most of the problems that people gripe emerson out for...... Strider has some of the same problems. I have bought striders that have scratches in the finish, nicks in the edge. Poor Fit & Finish. And lets all be honest. Paying 500 (ish) for a smf is about 200 too much. Like I said excellent knives but way overpriced. They do not offer anything ergonomically that other brands don't. After all this I still buy striders cause i know they most likely wont break. I did break a smf one time. Dont ask how. :demented:

LorenzoL likes this.
  17. knifeaholic1

knifeaholic1 Little member

LOL no $hit!
    Well, I have no specific brand for you.. there is no perfect knife that I know. I like the looks of one, the ergos on another and the price of something else... That's why I have a few and rotate through them :demented:
    Anything custom is overrated IMO; theres nothing that a production knife can't do that a production can. On the other hand, I pay way more for other things to have something "uncommon" or more boutique but is an individual decision where we throw our money:madaddy:

18. ster91b

ster91b Paloozster! Brigade Member

So you must not own any customs, right?

...and for fucks sake fucking go the fuck ahead and fucking cuss the fuck alfuckingready.... Fuck the fucking "$hit" shit:bwah:

SugarSkull likes this.
  19. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

no fucking shit!
    this is the devil after all!

20. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

I'm lacking on the custom folders. From what I've held of customs there is an enormous gulf of difference in quality.

I'll stick to a fixed blade carry in that area.