1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. clockwork477

clockwork477 Huge member

Here in VA moonshine is quite common. Someone always knows someone that can get it or has a cousin or uncle that makes it. I had a good connection for a while until he got a little paranoid and decided to lay low. Only $15.00 for a mason jar.

IMO the plain white lighting is best but he would make some apple cinnamon shine around the holidays that was the best!

It was kind of dangerous because you would not feel it until you stood up and then it was to late..... good times.

2. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Ethyl Alcohol Distillate for use as Fuel or as a Fuel Additive is legal.

3. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

Yep, but we're not talking fuel additives here.

Unless it has that little tax stamp on it, the BATF tends to get testy about liquor you drink.

(Damn revenuers!)

4. OnceBitten

I consider it as Fuel.

In fact, I usually get pretty fuelish during the Evaluation phase of Quality Assurance of some Ethanols.

5. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

There are limits of how many gallons of liquor you can produce for yourself in a certain period of time. I don't know the specifics on it. However it does have to do with taxes and importation of alcohol etc. On top of that, it IS illegal to sell.... I don't know about buying it though :thumbsup:

6. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

:linkbutton:

According to the Government's Alcohol And Tobacco Tax And Trade Bureau Site:

7. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Legal Moonshine?

Hank Williams Jr. usually lays off the moonshine.

“I’m kind of at the red wine and cigar stage of life,” said Williams, 61, who three decades ago sang, “The hangovers hurt more than they used to/ And cornbread and iced tea took the place of pills and 90 proof.”

Yet Williams has joined with J and M Concepts in launching Popcorn Sutton’s Tennessee White Whiskey, an “un-aged whiskey” (i.e., moonshine) that replicates the liquor made by East Tennessee moonshiner Marvin “Popcorn” Sutton, a banjo-playing, tax-avoiding distiller whose life and 2009 death were chronicled on television, in documentaries and in national newspapers.

“This guy was real Appalachian Americana,” Williams said. “He was a folk hero.”

Williams attended Sutton’s funeral, saw the outpouring of community support for the Cocke County local legend and shook his head at the circumstances behind Sutton’s death: He committed suicide at age 62 rather than go to jail for selling untaxed liquor.

“The government couldn’t leave him alone, so he killed himself,” Williams said. “It was all about something like $5,000 in taxes, which is about five minutes of my panty and T-shirt sales.”

In Sutton’s final year, he determined to pass along his moonshine methodology to Northern Californian Jamey Grosser, a former professional Supercross motorcycle racer and current J and M partner who saw in Sutton a figurehead and a storyline. Here was a modern-day Jack Daniel, only there are no YouTube clips of Mr. Daniel being interviewed by Johnny Knoxville.

Grosser wanted into the spirits business, and he figured that selling moonshine legitimately (meaning paying taxes and obtaining permits) would offer an advantage over starting into bourbon or other aged whiskeys. Moonshine can go directly from still to jar to stores, without spending years aging in barrels.

“I thought, ‘We’re going to sell moonshine,” ’ Grosser said. “No ‘Just how were we going to do that?’ I had no idea. So I flew to Knoxville and started asking around. Everybody said, ‘Go see Popcorn. He’s the only one left.’ ”

Grosser visited Sutton at his Cocke County cabin, where he spent five days talking about whiskey and taking in Sutton’s peculiar, profane and rebellious worldview. Upon arriving at Sutton’s house, Grosser saw a headstone on the porch inscribed, “Popcorn says (expletive) you.”

Over many other visits, the two eventually developed an odd-duck master/apprentice relationship, and they developed plans to “go legit” and market Sutton’s white whiskey.

“He kept teaching me what he’d learned,” Grosser said. “He told me, ‘Nobody else knows what you know.’ And he was methodical about passing it along.”

When he asked Sutton about possible celebrity tie-ins, Sutton said the only public figure he’d want selling his ’shine was Hank Williams Jr. But Williams is loathe to pitch anything that’s not the NFL or the aforementioned T-shirts and undergarments.

“My initial reaction was, ‘I have zero interest. None,’ ” Williams said. “But then they showed me Popcorn’s whole story. And I related to him. And I admired him. Here was the last real moonshiner, and moonshine has been so connected to music and to the South. It used to be everywhere. The road next to my farm in West Tennessee is named after a guy’s still: Swor Still Road. You reckon around Williamson County there used to be a few stills? They were all over.”

But in Cocke County, Sutton’s endeavors were coming to a halt. In 2007, agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms busted Sutton with 850 gallons of moonshine, and 2008 brought a conviction. (He pleaded guilty to production of distilled spirits and to a weapons possession charge.)

In mid-March of 2009, a week before the 62-year-old was to begin an 18-month prison sentence, he summoned Grosser to his property to review the whiskey-making process. On March 16, Sutton told Grosser he wanted to spend a little time alone with his wife, and Grosser caught a plane back to California.

“An hour later, he was dead,” Grosser said.

In the wake of all that, Grosser was left to wonder whether and how to move forward. J and M received offers in what Grosser calls “multiple tens of millions” for the rights to Sutton’s likeness and liquor, but Grosser refused, saying, “They wanted to bastardize Popcorn’s whiskey.” After much consultation with Williams and others, he decided on a regional approach and on a strict adherence to Sutton’s recipe and methodology.

“I asked a lot of advice,” Grosser said. “I went to Jimmy Russell, the master distiller at Wild Turkey, and started telling him about Popcorn. He said, ‘You don’t have to say another thing. Popcorn made some of the best whiskey that’s ever been.’ ”

Grosser is quick to remind people that Williams is an owner, not merely a paid celebrity, and also that Sutton’s widow is a partner. He found a spot in Nashville for what he claims is “the biggest legal moonshine still in the world,” with Sutton’s expletive-laden headstone admonition inscribed on it.

Popcorn Sutton’s Tennessee White Whiskey arrived in select Nashville bars this week, and celebrities including Williams, Kid Rock, Martina McBride, Jamey Johnson, major league ballplayer Nick Swisher and actress Joanna Garcia attended a launch party Tuesday night at Nashville’s Marathon Building. Lipman Brothers will distribute the liquor, which will be packaged in Mason jars.

“Over the last year or so, we’ve seen a rise in white whiskies,” said Woodland Wine Merchant owner Will Motley. “It’s a combination of the emerging craft distillery thing and people’s renewed interest in cocktails. Tennessee has a history of whiskey-making and bootlegging, and here you have a connection with this iconic figure.”

Contrary to popular notion, most moonshine is not made with alcohol levels any higher than can be found in Kentucky bourbons or Tennessee whiskeys. Popcorn’s brew comes in somewhere between Jack Daniel’s and Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon.

“You’ve still got to be careful, though,” Williams said. “It tastes exactly the same as what Popcorn made, and it’s so smooth you sometimes don’t realize what you’re drinking. Like I’ve heard Jamey (Johnson) say, there’s at least one famous Tennessee whiskey, and now there are going to be two. This one will be in a Mason jar.”

Selling now in all fine Liquor Stores.

Towelie likes this.
  8. OnceBitten

Great post, Sugar.

Marvin was a sort of rebellious hero and a throwback to the past.

RIP Mr. Sutton :rip:

9. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

When I was stationed in Louisiana, there were a couple of guys from Kentucky and Tennessee who would bring back a "taste" on occasion. As I recall, it was pretty strong stuff....no labels on the jars....

For years, I think Everclear was probably the closest comercially-available thing to `shine.

10. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

The 'shine I had was nothing like Everclear. It was smooth and quite good.

11. Guillermo

Guillermo 7th Man of the 7th son Super Moderator

You can't legally make it. I've seen the taxed stuff for sale but it is so watered down or flavor added to it that I don't care for it. If they leave it at 120 proof or higher it could be something good. I live a few miles from where Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina meet and it is still made here. Sadly pot and meth manufacture is easier for some to make money with so it's less common lately.

12. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

Isn't that the truth. I am from the same area and there is usually some moon shine floating around but we are starting to get a real bad problem with meth.

Just remember, if it burns blue you are in the clear to drink, green and you will go blind. And if it doesn't burn you need to get your money back. Used to be able to get some all the time back in highschool. Put $20 in the deadfall in the hollar then come back 30min later. And you had better bring his damn jar back or he'd get pissed.

Though most people give it away now. Each qt is different depending on who made it.

13. colter

colter Little member

I used to get shine from a friend up in Wilkes "by God" county, sometimes had chunks of fruit in it. Damndest thing though, every time I drank the stuff I'd end up in jail or with assault charges. finally gave it up.

14. Amotek

Amotek Eerie Ver Sable Brigade Member

Got a bit in the freezer right now! Shaweet is damn good!!!! :thumbsup::manganr::bwah::manganr::thumbsup:

15. hangtime

hangtime eccentric orbit

The Mexican version is called pulque. Wicked stuff. :ross:

16. Daffiestlime

Daffiestlime Little member

Where I'm from (Northern Norway) moonshine is a pretty large part of our cultural heritage, not too many people make it anymore though...
    Still, I have consumed it on numerous occasions, the strongest having 96% alcohol content, which is pretty much as high as it gets.
    Making it yourself would definitely be interesting, maybe some day.

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE likes this.