1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mill/drill question.

42flipper May 16, 2016

1. 42flipper

42flipper JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I have a chance to pick up a Jet Jmd-18 drill/mill for $800.00...

Price seemed right, and the unit appears to be in good shape.

I'm interested in making all types of knives, at a hobby level for now.

Any reason I should stay away from this mill??

Anything I should watch out for when I go look at it??

Whatcha think??

TIA :thumbsup:

2. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Jet, while not top of the line when it comes to tools/ tooling, that seems like a very fair price.

What voltage, careful here some of them are 230V only.

If not equipt you can run into having to wire the shop for it. There are ones that are 110/230V in set up, but some 230v only.

And yes 230, not 220V :unintroduced:

3. PolishAvenger

PolishAvenger Average member

Remember that round column mills are a real pain if you have to move the head at any point during your machining....this requires re-indexing the tooling because of the movement that occurs. I used one for a while, and for single operations they're a helluva lot better than NOT having one.
    -Mark

4. 42flipper

Thanks Glenn!! I saw that as well, luckily the seller has the transformer included.

I looked at it today, and compared to what I'm using now, it should be night and day... Hoping to pick it up this weekend :madaddy:

Also... Loving that ashtray you had on IG...:thumbsup:

5. 42flipper

I read about that in the reviews. I hope it shouldn't be to much of an issue for me, at least for now... If this works out, maybe I can pick up a big boy mill one day. :thumbsup: