1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Microtech Tach 3 custom?

chutcher Apr 29, 2019

1. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Please tar and feather me if this has been asked before and my search skills are not up to par. I searched and one of the only reviews I found was a positive video which I have a sneaking suspicion may have had some monetary backing. What do you think of the Tach 3 Ti custom besides the high price tag? Yes, I know it is overpriced for what it is but I really don't care about that aspect for my question.

I have a Tach 3, which i did not pay retail for and I think is over priced for what it is, but I think I am one of only a handful of people that actually like it. Yes, it is by far the crappiest flipper out of any bali I own, but I actually enjoy it as an EDC knife and would like to have one that I can actually flip.

Is the Tach 3 Ti a flipper? I got this idea in my head that I would put my ChAB up for trade for one. Opinions?

apdallaround likes this.
  2. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Channel Ti Guy JDBA Official Member

A lot will say it's a crap knife, but a lot also havn't held one for than a few minutes, if at all. Personally it's my favorite out of everything I've owned after well over 2 years, and I've met plenty of other who absolutely love their t3 custom.

Lets go over the bad first, since it can be a bit hard to swallow for the price tag. The bearings come on perfectly flat steel plates, and if you don't break them in, a small drop will easily ruin how the bearings feel and make them notchy. It takes a solid week or two to cold roll the bearing tracks. The pocket clip isn't super strong, and could cause issues if you decided to neckbeard carry it in your sweatpants. Some also don't like the sharpened swedge, though I havn't gotten so much as a knick from it in well over a year, just takes a bit of getting used to.

Now what I love about it. Channel Ti, radiused and tapered handles, spring latch, a pocket clip that stays completely out of the way, M390/Elmax steel, damn near perfect balance, diamond cutouts for a good grip, AAA customer service from Tony himself, tanky custom hardware, and it's chamfered on damn near every part aside from the edge itself and the blade cutout.

I can understand why people dislike the idea of having the break in the bearing plates or risk damaging the plates, but if you like the knife anyway, you'll be flipping it more than enough in a week or two to carve in deep tracks, and it can take a pretty solid hit once they're broken in properly. A week or two isn't much for custom rolled tracks that can be easily replaced.

The pocket clip, while I agree is a bit weak, never gave me issues. For things like jeans, the pocketclip works wonderfully. It can definitely give you some issues with somthing like sweats or slacks, but why the hell would you be pocket clip carrying it with either? If I'm in sweatpants, well then I'm at home or at the gym, and don't need to carry my bali, and if I'm in slacks, I'll just throw it in my inside jacket pocket. The beauty of a retractable pocket clip is that you can choose to not use it and it doesn't get in the way or change anything.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    apdallaround and chutcher like this.
  3. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Awesome! Thank you for the comprehensive response.

4. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Klyuchak nailed it, but I'll add my opinion just so there's more out there than his post and one random suspicious youtube video ;)
    I've owned the production tach3 for years and a custom tach3 for many months. The production one does kind of suck stock, but if you wanted to mod it by putting some counterweights in the ends of the handles it'd be pretty great.
    The custom is nothing short of amazing. And the full mirror polished blade is flawless.
    I'm not confident someone would trade you for your channel AB, but it's certainly worth a shot. Good luck!

chutcher likes this.
  5. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I won't get super in depth about it, but it's a really nice flipper and perfectly suited for EDC.

My only beef with it is that the pocket clip is tiny and weak.

apdallaround and chutcher like this.
  6. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

i haven't even had mine a week but i love it. the sharpened swedge isn't actually sharp. sure it's sharp enough to scrape shavings off your fingernail, but still just dull enough that you can slide your fingers down it lengthways and they won't get cut. it's some voodoo shit. the edges of the blade cutout are actually sharper than the swedge on mine.

i flip like garbage so i can't really speak to it's overall flipability, but i CAN say it will do the five tricks i know as good or better than everything else i own. except my hom spectre, for some reason that knife is fucking psychic with me.

now sadly, or happily, depending on your perspective, to me the tach iii custom feels VERY similar in balance and fit / finish to a vantac speeder, which is a whole lot cheaper, and actually available from a nevada based seller right now. so if you like rainbows, you get to skip the whole importation stress.

i wouldn't trade my chab for one, but i would (did) just wait till i could afford to add it to the collection. i've never touched a production version, but if you're not satisfied with it, i'd consider selling that and put the proceeds towards a custom.

~blu

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  7. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

My 2 cents worth.....

I have a dlc AM T3 custom and love it(other than the pocket crip). Flips great, looks great, feels great.

I wouldn’t trade a chab for one though.

FAR superior to the cheese grade ti tach2 that all the ‘community flippers’ are buying and selling for $700+/- while they circle jerk each other. Tach2 ‘best flipper’ makes me laugh so hard..... right pal.

Regardless look at a fiore or JK Monarch etc in terms of price.

The T3 custom gets hate because they released an aluminum version as the production.

HATERS GONA HATE

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    chutcher and Klyuchak like this.
  8. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Channel Ti Guy JDBA Official Member

Whoever you got it from must have been too chicken and dulled it out.
    :balitrickfail:

Send it to Tony, he'll get the swedge in working order again :devilwag:

apdallaround likes this.
  9. RoninFlipper

RoninFlipper Little Member

I wouldn’t trade an AB for it, but you do you