1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Microtech Tach 2 question(s)?

Coconutfilipino Apr 25, 2022

1. Coconutfilipino

Coconutfilipino JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I hope this is a proper place to pose this question, but I recently saw a Tach 2 with solid handles, and am only familiar with the handles style that had milled holes.

-Does anybody have any information they can share? Were these early in in the production/release or later on?

Were there many made that way, or was there a limited number?
    - (I know that sone certain specific finishe/blade styles, and handles were made in very limited numbers, (IE: full stonewashed handles and Bowie blade numbered only 36 made, but was curious about any numbers in how many solid handles were made overall, or either blade shape)

2. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Did you take any pictures to post?

3. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

OK, I remember these. They were pretty limited if my memory serves me. I wanna' say like 50 or maybe 75 of them? Could be wrong.

MT also made a brass handle version of the Tachyon 2 (picked one up from this very forum) which was also a limited run of 52 I believe.

I don't recall if there were different blade styles for the ones your are asking about but I look into it as time serves.

Cheers

Coconutfilipino likes this.
  4. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

Dang, I am having a hear time finding any info on the limited runs of the Tach 2. Its almost like they never existed (the solid handle ones). Hopefully some on here has one and can share what they know.

5. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

I spoke too soon.

Did find this on a Reddit post. I know the number on the brass correct.

"The brass tactical is one of fifty-two ever made and the Ti (solid) is even more rare at one of ten"

6. Coconutfilipino

I saw it in the for sale forum, I didn’t take any pictures.( It’s simply a solid handle, no holes/rounded triangle shapes milled out.)

it didn’t feel right to screenshot something that
    A is a current sales thread
    B isn’t my picture to display (since they are a member here.)

7. Coconutfilipino

Great find!!! Thanks for finding out, and sharing! He/she has a gem on their hands.

8. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The solid handles came along sometime after the T2 release.

There were only a small number of them.

Pretty much MT getting rid of their unmilled stock.

It's funny how much T2 go for now. At the time they were considered a bali that was made on the cheap. A cash grab by MT on the bali market.

Back then NOBODY liked barrel spacers. The screws in the al spacers would strip really easily, so most serious flippers had to get spacers custom made. The roll pin in the latch was also frowned upon and the handles were cheese grade ti. They dented and scratched super easy.

After the Bowie they released the tanto but fucked up the dims so the blade hit the spacer.

Other than that, they flipped decent.

Coconutfilipino and chutcher like this.
  9. Coconutfilipino

Yeah- I own two of the early Tantos, and the one I carry/use I ended up taking a little off the back of the blade for balance, and to eliminate the tap/clearance issue.

and the roll pin IS kind of bull shit.-does it work? Yes. Has it held up since I’ve had it (with no issues)? Yes. But it is/was a very ham handed, and kinda lazy, way to handle that aspect of its design.

The cutouts for me add some grip, and locational feel to where I’m at on the handles…so I don’t know if I’d like the solid handle version. (Not that it matters because: after hearing it’s production numbers, I don’t think I could bring myself to seriously flip..let alone carry it/put it in the EDC rotation.)

10. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

Yeah, even the flimsy latch on the Tach 2 put noticeable dents in the safe handle on mine. What kind of titanium is that? Aluminum holds up better!

11. Coconutfilipino

Yeah- I had the same thing happening on mine, and then I just ended up taking it off, and tying my own paracord latch.

it kept any more dings/damage from occurring..and helped with weight/balance a smidge on that handle (not that I am able to feel a huge difference) -but definitely a weak design.

and agreed the Ti hasn’t been as..durable..as other Ti things I’ve banged around in my EDC. Nothing has broken, ..just seems to catch a ding faster than sone other knives.

12. Coconutfilipino

Small production numbers aside- they are apparently uncommon or rare, so it’s hypothetical…but I don’t think I’d like to flip the solid handle as much.

I think the feel/grip would be slicker, and hard for me to locate after always having the cutouts.

13. Raevynheart

Raevynheart Little Member

Some more information about the solid handle Tachyon II for anyone interested:
    • This thread from April 2013 on JD suggests "there are only 18 solid handle black blade Bowies".
    • As was mentioned above, there is a Reddit post that numbers the solid handle Tachyon II at 10. Not sure about the discrepancy with the number above, but I think 10 only includes the stonewash Bowie.
    • Searching through Blade HQ's archives, it looks like the solid handle variant was only offered with a Bowie blade (black, stonewash).
    • The solid handle variants were marketed "for those who want to customize them or like a clean look", but as was mentioned above, this was likely just Microtech's way of getting rid of any remaining unmilled handle stock cheaply.
    If only you could get a Tachyon II of any variant at 2013 prices today...