1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Microtech Metalmark Review

Bentley Aug 9, 2012

1. Bentley

Bentley Ur-Enki lu ĝiri ib-sur-ra

Here's my video review of the Microtech Metalmark. It's a goofy looking knife I know, but I really like it. Now as many of you guys know, my only other bali is a smallfly, so, I'm limited in what I can compare it to, especially when it comes to flipping. And about flipping, I did not buy this expecting it to be a good flipper. If you're wondering about how it flips, then let me tell you that it is very blade heavy. So....

Also, like I said before, only prior exp is a smallfly, so don'y expect to much of my flipping demo. My fingers are still trying to get used to the weight of the knife (they're apparently kinda week), and my flipping is therefore slow and lousy.... I know, I know. I'm making excuses.

But it is a bali, so i do flip it. And I will come back and do a more detailed flipping review once I've had it for a while. Just because.

On the other hand, the metalmark is an extremely well put together hunk of steel and titanium. Ceramic bearings, channel handles, spring latch, CTS-204P blade steel. This knife got the works. It it weren't for the odd aesthetics (which I like), it would be a wet dream of a bali.

The Ti is smooth but grippy, the handles are comfortable and the blade is mean sharp. Yeah, I do really like this knife.

And while it might not be the best flipper, it is extremely FUN to flip. Largely due to the afore mentioned bearings which yield silky smooth movement and have absolutely no play whatsoever. Well, maybe some fraction of a mm.

I know a couple other guys on here (who are much more knowledgeable about knives than I am) purchased metalmarks as well, so hopefully they'll chime in with their opinions.

So without further ado, I present a time sink of about 15 min.

Final Edit: Vids finally finished processing and can now be watched embedded.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    AnthonyTheAbyss, Glenn and Ryanol like this.
  2. Bentley

[video=youtube;A5LrSWpQP9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5LrSWpQP9M[/video]

3. Bentley

[video=youtube;EINGoxEPTWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EINGoxEPTWc[/video]

4. Matt_Thiem

Matt_Thiem JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

videos say unavailable for me

5. lumsify

lumsify Huge member

^^ same

6. pchang.ns

pchang.ns Huge member

Works if you click the YouTube button and watch it there instead of embedded.

Bentley likes this.
  7. Bentley

Embedding is enabled, but I think I got a bit ahead of myself posting these, as YT says they're still processing. Perhaps that's the issue?.

8. worthless

worthless worthless? Nah!

Yeah, it works if you click through to the site. Thanks for the review!

9. dude0877

dude0877 Little member

yeah, i have one too. the only problem i have is that one of the pivots is IMPOSSIBLE to loosen. it's just not gonna happen. so i have one handle more sticky than the other. i swear they used a locktight on it, but who knows. that would be stupid since there are T30 screws there specifically for us to loosen or tighten.

maybe it's just mine. whatever

10. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

Nice review

Wheres all the negativity?:ropeman:

Couldn't loosen it? I took one apart no problem

11. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

i like the blade profile better on these models :thumbsup:

I also totally missed that it was only one tang pin as well, kinda odd.

12. Chris_Himself

Chris_Himself Bay Area Devil Alliance

Super nice review, I'll have one of my own shortly bud. But basically a cutting video would be more appropriate than a flipping one lol..

It just feels like an object of quality craftsmanship in the hand.. some people collect Ti beads for that very reason.

Chris

13. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

IDK... None of those links work for me and I've searched YT and can't find it.

14. Bentley

Yeah, youtube seems to have glitched and the vids are still stuck in 'processing,' so they don't show up in search results or work with embedded play. I updated the first post with direct links to simplify matters until the issue is fixed

Thanks for the heads up that they were available. :thumbsup:

That's weird dude, mine definitely were not loctited.

Yesh, I think it looks much better without the brend grind. The difference in feel between the blade and the tang pin is suabtantial. To personify it, it gives the illusion that knife likes to open, but dislikes closing.

A good point, especially given the steel. I can say that it does cut things very easily. My flesh at the very least. Though I am reluctant to do a wear resistance test on that particular medium.

Thanks for the compliments guys, please feel free to leave constructive criticism as well. I'd love to know what I can improve, for instance I was pretty redundant at times.

15. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Just an aside, but has anyone noticed that Marfione is a complete douchebag that insulted one of the founders of this site?

16. NinjaIndustries

NinjaIndustries Huge member

Awesome review! Might have to pick one up. :thumbsup:

17. dude0877

dude0877 Little member

there is no way anyone can loosen mine. i had 3 workers at Home Depot try, me, and my dad...not even close to coming loose and almost stripped the screw.

I also have a SS Cobra from Microtech, and there is one of the clip's screws (the official Microtech screws, yes i have the official screwdriver) that is also impossible to to loosen.

i think i may have a Microtech curse upon me.

18. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

that is got to suck, a 900 bali and the screws are fixed???

SkullTalls likes this.
  19. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

if i paid 900 4 for a bali and the fucking screws were fixed i'll be negative plus:bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah:

20. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

900 for that! ... You're shitting me!.. wow!:devilzeek

.... And WTF Bentley! Your only other Bali is a Smallfly, and then you pay 900 pinga for that.. Just Wow!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012