1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

microsoft Word & Wordperfect

Umberto Feb 6, 2007

1. Umberto

Umberto cool mother fucker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Anybody know anything about the compatibility of Word and Wordperfect?
    A friend is looking at an online job that requires Word, her computer only has Wordperfect.

2. rudechuck

rudechuck Worst Blood Brigade Member

I use both at work and at home. They are mostly similar and it shouldn't be too hard to learn Word. However, there are some distinct differences and converting complex documents from one to the other can be a nightmare as well. Is she in the legal field? WordPerfect is more common in law offices and I'm far more comfortable using it, but I do need to use Word on occasion to e-mail docs to our clients because none them have WordPerfect. I suggest she buy or borrow the current version of Word, install it and work with it at home. The most important thing to remember is if you want to change formatting you have to block what you want changed, otherwise nothing happens.

I don't know if that helps at all. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

3. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse Set your motherfucker to "receive"

well... when DOS was still new and the pc was just getting in business... there was only 1 word processor... Wordperfect... Microsoft sqashed a ways down the road after windows was rolling... as one of it's early BIG conquests... and made Word even use the Wordperfect keyboard shortcuts that everyone in the world already knew... so the 'compatible' for users to switch was one of the early bragging points for Microsoft... i'm sure it's still that way... being famliar with an APP makes you ready for another... you know the concept of what you want to do... you can usually figure out the 'how' pretty easy...

4. Umberto

Well, she's more computer illiterate than me even.

I just mainly wondered if she could use Wordperfect when the company requires Word.
    Its looking like thats not the case.
    She just has a Dell laptop thats only about a year and a half old, I don't know why it didnt at least come with Works, although I know that wouldn't work either.
    Guess she's gonna have to buy Word.

thanks.

5. tmik

tmik Midwest Knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Wordperfect will save in Word format. If it's just run of the mill stuff, Wordperfect will probably work. Otherwise Openoffice.org is the freebie way to go and they love to output a perfect format Word compatable file.

rudechuck likes this.
  6. Matches

Matches Airport Bum Brigade Member

I use Openoffice both at home and at work...can't beat the price!:wes:

7. Umberto

Ah..I'll look into this.

thanks.

8. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Just marry her already...............sheesh!

9. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

+1 ...

10. Umberto

nah just a buddy.

there aint no love nowhere...

11. TKD

TKD purveyor of poon

They are similar, if you know one you should able to learn the other quick.
    It's just word processing, easy.

TKD