1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Microscopic Microtech springs

Wolfgang May 7, 2012

1. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Devil's Advocate

Have you ever received a utx70 in the mail. Both blade & parts on the same day. Became overjoyed. To only have the grinch steal Christmas when one of the handles tipped over & the blade stop popped out letting the spring vanish into thin air? Icing on the cake the guy on the you tube video (who was disassembling his scarab) said "don't worry you won't lose anything" :devilfinger:

While I'm typing this I might as well extend my middle finger to the makers of these funky tri-wing screws as well.

Email already sent to knife dealer. Hopefully they can help me with a microscopic spring or 2.

2. Wolfgang

Microscopic microtech utx70 stopper spring

Does anyone here know exact diamater of blade stop spring in a utx70? I'm presuming its the same size as the firing spring. See what happened in filibuster. Where i could go about finding some springs to buy that small today would be helpful :ssad:

I believe the blade stop is actually called a Sear lock & I need a "conical" spring?

[upon further reading]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  3. Wolfgang

I believe the blade stop is actually called a Sear lock & I need a "conical" spring?

[upon further reading]

4. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

You should have done the work in an all sterile white room. I mean, come on. Use your head. It is a Microtech, afterall. I hope this turns out for you. Keep us posted.

sickboy

Mike Grasso likes this.
  5. accurate

accurate Accurate Devil JDBA Official Member

...also under slightly less than atmorpheric pressure at a relative humidity of 39% or else they won't even acknowledge your knife's existence, let alone send parts.

6. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:link:

You'll have to ask Tiny to :stop: fucking with his Photobucket account, though! :bwah:

7. Wolfgang

:bwah:

I must of done something right in the previous life. I found the damn microscopic spring in a chair I wasn't sitting in.

While googling also found another knife dealer who sells those springs & even Allen replacement screws for the utx70 as well as other models. I have become very unfond of microtech & very fond of Protech with my recent auto acquisitions.

I couldn't find any other D/A otfs that size in stock from who i order from.

Next time might just request they are kept together if it's s mt.

Will keep u all poste.

question for the experts..

Am I gonna need a damn tri bit for this assembly? Or will a pin work. These screws are so tiny. I imagine normal sized otfs would be no.

8. Wolfgang

mods. please merge my threads about the microtech springs.

9. Wolfgang

Success!

IMG_0933.jpg

Assembled my UTX-70 in Single Edge without a fuss. Other then the fact I can't fully tighten down these triwing screws. Should I fork out the change for a bit? Or do I have a way around this. I don't plan on disassembling it again.

What size of funky tri-wing bit do I need? they are flat

10. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

You should complete the job and properly secure the screws. All of them need a tiny drop of Blue Locktite on the threads before tightening them with a proper tool.

They don't need a lot of torque, but it should be an equal amount on every one. Best and more easily done with a TriPin bit.

Then test fire it a few times to make sure all's well. Seems some are different as far as what works best.

If they're too tight, it might hang up. Too loose and they might loosen or fall out after awhile, even with Locktite. Or the slider will fall out...

I'm on vacation or I'd loan you my bits. In a couple of weeks I could send them out, or maybe someone else will chime in first... :ropeman:

11. Wolfgang

I think I will end up breaking down & getting the bit. Considering I wanted the SE version for my EDC rotation, not the my display. Microtech knows automatic knives are like cocaine & who ever wants to play, has to pay. If I don't end up buying the bit because I'd like the money for other knives, lol. Would you still be able to send me that bit on after your vacation? I will definitely send it back to you.

Is the lock tite really needed? I haven't had a Microtech OTF before so the advice is truly appreciated.

The next items on my wish list is a Protech Don in CF, a Dalton Moe, & a Hubertus in Red pick bone. Or I will get back into the balisongs & pick up a FU42. Either option is distancing my collection from MT :bwah:

12. slimkango

slimkango Brigade Member Brigade Member

This is where I bought my tri wing wrench. Matt is a good guy and will send it out quick!:manganr:

http://www.modelandtool.com/Wrenches.html

* also I've seen that some people have made their own wrenches out of straightened paper clips wrapped w/ thread or fine wire! That would probably work for a UTX-70 (I stripped one of the screw holes out of the one on my keychain w/the tri-bit--- I should've tightened it without putting the bit in a screwdriver handle)

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  13. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

Unfortunately, I have quite a bit of experience repairing shitty UTX-70's. :bwah:

Once you break the factory seal, there is always one or two that will come loose. If you try to torque them down it can cause the blade to not deploy all the way or not retract. Loctite is the way to go. Do not use red. :bwah:

14. Wolfgang

Guess I'm getting Blue Loctite & a tiny ass triwing bit to fix a knife I already own. Brilliant Microtech, simply brilliant :thumbsup::cry::devilfinger::bwah:

[Note to self & others never have any microtech disassembled without investing in the above as well as a sterile white room with a relative humidity control]

And after just reading an email from my knife dealer, he personally would recommend red loctite, he thinks blue is more powerful just under green.

I guess as long as either is applied VERY liberally as the threads are so small I can't go wrong. Or should I swear by blue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
  15. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Green Loctite Threadlocker is just another one, but harder to find.

I'd go Blue (Medium strength) like most other knife makers. Also the most common.

Red (High strength) is referred to as "permanent". Purple (Low strength) is the other one...

Your choice...

16. Wolfgang

Guess any of them but green will do the trick. I don't plan on disassembling this knife again. But wouldn't mind it to be possible todo so.

I will update when I get this bit. And if you live outside the CONUS especially, take this thread into concern when purchasing a Mircotech. This can be added to the list of already common knowledge why you may want to give another knife maker your money.

I just have a thing for tiny otfs. [wonder where that comment will get me :bwah:]

17. Offshorecop

Offshorecop Little member

Microtech UTX-70 Problems

Hi Wolfgang,

Yes, the UTX-70 is fucking crap. Mine worked for about 1 minute before the blade locked in the open position. I did a write up on it in test & reviews. I made a tool using paper clips, and later bought the tri-wing bit. My UTX-70 is still in parts. The front lock piece walks out because (I think) the tiny cone shaped spring is too weak to keep it in place. Moreover, the main spring that hooks in the track will not stay in the track. I can't even get it to stay on long enough to re-assemble the dam thing. It shows some wear on the front hook, which is stupid because the knife was new. I suppose I need the main spring, and the cone springs. Please let us know how your story works out. My UTX-70 is a parts case. Microtech is the worst knife I've ever purchased. No help from the factory. :devilfinger: Fuck Microtech.