1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Medford Praetorian

SamaraVolk Jul 28, 2015

1. SamaraVolk

SamaraVolk Little member

I just wanted to get some thoughts on Medford knives. I've owned 4 and sold 3 of them. My personal thoughts are that they are well built but completely overpriced. The last one (I still have) is a Praetorian, full titanium scales, S30V blade. I picked it up new for $559 on Ebay. I can justify this price for this knife. I can not justify the $800 it would have cost me directly from Medford. I owned another Praetorian that was D2 and G10 scales (one side). I paid the same price as the full titanium and could not justify it so I sold it. The knives are rock solid and made out of great materials but the costs are prohibitive from purchasing brand new. For these prices, all of their knives should be full titanium and S30V steel minimum (my opinion) I am very happy with the knife I kept and EDC it in my rotation with my Strider SMF DGG S30V, and my Sebenza 21.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

2. mauiflipper

mauiflipper Little member

I had two knives that I picked up in trade and got rid of both of them. Not only way over priced, but Greg Medford is a fucking dick. Straight up racist asshole and an idiot to boot. I was upside down on a few other knives and saved my ass by trading to these and got my money back out. Thank god Medford's customer's are as stupid as he is

3. diggumsmack2

diggumsmack2 Level: True Devil

Just gotta know, why do you feel so negative about the guy?

Did you have a run in with him at a show or something

4. zogglet

zogglet Better than Nutella Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

I'm curious about this, too.

I'm also curious to hear others' thoughts on the Praetorian. I was very close to buying one once, but stopped myself after watching and reading more reviews, and too decided that for what the knives are, they are ridiculously overpriced. I have to admit, I love the look and feel of the knife.

5. OilMan

OilMan Jaded Brigade Member

Just traded through a Medford Praetorian G and my impression was basically that it was a very well made, highly impracticable to use knife. Which makes total sense if he really doesn't carry a knife like I've seen on the web. Would I trade into/buy another one? Nope.

6. Buckeye106

Buckeye106 Little member

I own a Praetorian Ti and a couple Fat Daddy's. I personally carry a Fat Daddy for work. I like the weight and feeling of the knife. I've also owned some Praetorian G's and the 187 line. The Praetorian G was nice and slim. The 187 is a nice knife for the value. I've dealt with Greg and Amy many times and they have always been a pleasure to deal with. Just my 2 cents.

7. tmbrcrafter

tmbrcrafter totally hetero, no seriously Brigade Member

I bought a Micro Praetorian at Blade several years ago on a whim. I did like the fit and finish but when I got back home, it occurred to me that I'd spent way too much money for that knife. Geez, if I'd had a nickel for every time I did that.........

8. zogglet

zogglet Better than Nutella Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

Pfft, I know, right? The thing is, this isn't the first time I've heard that Greg is an asshole, and as much as that sucks, hearing that a maker is an asshole will always be a deal-breaker to me. :(

9. Evamore

Evamore Huge member

I have two Medfords that I have purchased; a TFF-1 and a 187 Drop Point. I never paid the full MSRP on them because while I really enjoy them, in my opinion, you are buying aesthetics with high tolerances. I too don't believe the materials and workmanship justifies the price. Over priced? Indeed. Fun to play with and have? You bet. I can see why people make comments about him as a person, but like everyone here, he has a right to be his own person, even if we do or don't agree with his beliefs. Do keep in mind, we live in a society that is currently suffering from a sad state of being, where everything and anything offends someone, bullying is worse than murder, and people believe they can commit atrocities against law enforcement without consequence. :s

10. OilMan

Please keep your funky politics to yourself, no reason to bring them into a discussion on knives. Or at least use something backed by facts rather than opinion..

11. Evamore

Evamore Huge member

Interesting. I gave my opinion on the knives. Another poster brought up why he didn't like the makers knives. Others commented on it. About a man whose statements are bringing him to the limelight on racism and why they won't buy. If you are to call me out on it, why not call out everyone on it? I'm saying that the man has a right to voice his opinion just as I do. If you don't like it, call me out to the field otherwise shut the fuck up Oilman.

12. OilMan

How dare you say limelight to me, my grandfather fought and died in WW2 to give me the RIGHT not to here the word limelight. Other people have said it and I'm going to talk shit to them too bastard guy. In the Pit.:unintroduced:

Oops, I guess my reading comprehension isn't what it should be either.. Why would I waste my time dealing with you in the pit when you can't even figure out what was said here? When it was specifically quoted. In a no politics zone.. You might also want to look up what atrocities means. Just sayin..

13. Evamore

Evamore Huge member

"Here" me now. :unintroduced: I'm sorry I told you to shut the fuck up. That was rude of me, but I think you could've handled it better. Next time a PM will suffice instead of leaving behind a post going all wannabe moderator hero. I don't sign in here to kick sand in anyone's face, and I won't stand for others to do it to me. Fair warning.

14. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

For a moment there I thought I had clicked on a hater Strider or hater Microtech thread.

Dial it down please. Too much drama in a knife thread and opinions about knives are what we want to read about here.

Remember when posting you are speaking to a person like you are right in front of them. Act accordingly.

15. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

I too am curious to hear the facts behind these statements.

Ordered a Medford Raptor last year. Phoned off hours and Greg took the call while driving. He was personable and friendly. Great overbuilt knife. Excellent post sales support. Received the knife packaged in a hard, waterproof case (Pelican/Storm type).

16. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

This thread led me again to the Medford Knife site. Saw a new, neat, little necker called Wraith. Just placed my order with an estimated 32 week wait.

17. Joe Cohen

Joe Cohen Little member

Medford

I met Greg twice at knife shows. The first time I asked him if he was from MA and he spent a few minutes bashing MA state Gov't and the commonwealth and gun laws, he seemed very upset about it. He was loud and abrasive. The 2nd time I told him I bought a Medford Karambit on a forum. He complained about the specific forum I bought it on, he stated all the warranty repairs he gets in come from this one forum and that I should never buy knives on that forum because all of the members modify his knives. (Ridiculous statement) I have bought dozens on that forum and have had the exact opposite experience, the knives are always as described and the members have all been great for the 3 years I've been on there. I don't know anything about him personally, but the 2 interactions I had w/him he came off as a blowhard w/a major chip on his shoulder. His knives are very well made, they are very overpriced, and they are not practical for EDC because they are mostly huge and very very heavy. He seems to be very successful, and again he makes a great knife. This post is just my impression of him from the 2 times I met him briefly at knife shows, obviously I don't know anything else about the guy. I really like the F.U.K and one of his new designs "The General" but they were both $850, too much.