1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Excelsa

MadDaddy Nov 13, 2013

1. SAMURAI

SAMURAI Huge member

send a pm to maddaddy

how was the knife>??>

i can't locate your review bro

2. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

My review is coming. I have found it easier to do right before shipping.

3. jimmyjo

I'm sending this on to Sickboy next.

4. jimmyjo

The Excelsa has a heavy solid feel when enclosed in my fist unopened. And that is the way it stays unless I use my other hand to open it. The government should demand a recall.
    When open the handle is very smooth and fits my hand like a very expensive knife. The lock up is firm and it releases flawlessly. The blade balances well with the handle. The cutting edge did ok making small cuts and a figure four in different types of wood. It has potential. I do like a lot of the qualities that went into making this but would never own this model without redesigning the thumb stud.
    (pics are in my gallery just click on the 9 at images to the left).
    View attachment 121330

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    SAMURAI likes this.
  5. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

Got it tonight and so far I really like it. I switched the clip and will add a small lanyard tomorrow. I will carry it at home and while on duty at work. We will see in a week or two what I think. So far, I would buy this knife(I might, actually).

sickboy

6. sickboy

So I have been carrying this knife at work and at home. It has been used for only real world cutting tasks. Rope, boxes, plastic stuff, a little wood all have not been a problem. The edge is good, I switched the clip to tip down carry. This allowed me to use the clip as purchase to open the thing. In tip up carry all you have to hold on to is the lock, adding pressure to the detent, making it impossible to open. I found this similar to my ZT560. I added a piece of paracord at the clip to allow ease of pulling it out of my pocket and find it to be quite a nice knife.

First let me say what I have carried. I have kept a Microtech Exodus in my back pocket next to my wallet for almost 10 years. It sees little use, but is has pulled enough duty time. I have also carried a Microtech Scarab for 8 years left hand carry in my left pocket with my Surefire L1. The surefire is worn in places from rubbing up against the Scarab. At my current job (around 5 months)I carry the ZT560. Before that it was a Microtech LUDT. I have also carried the odd Kershaw. All of these took what I threw at them and asked for more.

For a year and a half I worked for Department of Conservation and Natural Resources as Forest Maintenance. I ran around the forest with chainsaws, cutting down trees, clearing trails, marking timber and boundary and spraying bad trees. It was hard work. Now I am a Park Ranger. Less physically, but outside just as much. Sun, rain and everything in between. I get sweaty. After police academy I will be a full policeman. Gun, badge, the works.

All this leads up to my problem. The fucking Maxpedition blade started rusting. I opened it one morning to find little dots of surface rust all over the steel. I oiled it, scotch-brighted it just a bit, then oiled it again. It cleaned up just fine, but you can still see a stain. NONE of my other knives have EVER rusted, EVER. ZT, Kershaw or Microtech

I do like the knife, I just need something I can rely on if I need it to save my life. If Maxpedition can fix this problem, they would have a nice product that would rival other Ti framelocks at the same pricepoint. On to who is next....

sickboy

7. sickboy

I think we are done with this.?.? Does anyone else need to see it? IS there a list? I think everyone who responded has seen it. I still have it and no one to send it to.

sickboy

8. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hell, if you guys wanna add me to this, I'd like to see one up close.

If RNST or whomever is running this thing has no objection, I'd be happy to PM sickboy and the mods my address.

9. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

The list should have been traveling with the knife, butt* if you are last, perhaps that is why?

MadDaddy, foolio! MadDaddy!

Sickboy, you have my permission to ship it to Parker. As long as someone notifies MadDaddy.

10. sickboy

Rodger that boss. Parker, forward away.

sickboy

11. Parker

Inbound pm, DevL.

12. Parker

I finally made it to the post office today, and it's likely a good thing I could not get the stupid knife open using the thumbstud/extended aggravation device or I would have slain a couple postal employees. The day FedEx gets it together and can deliver a piece of "mail" in three days for $2, the postal racket is done.

While waiting for a supervisor to walk the 100 feet, I played with the knife, and again for 5 min in the parking lot. This knife was obviously designed by someone who wanted a Sebenza with a Mad Dog feel, but has never actually opened a knife in a hurry or used it with intention on something, never mind someone.

I make no bones about it, I'm a Mad Dog guy. Kevin and I have been friends for something like 12 years. I've bought and sold a couple hundred MDK over the years and have a link to my website below indicating that I sell MDK. I have a distinct set of opinions regarding the obvious attempt to plagiarize the MDK design into a cheap line of fixed blades. That said, I've also been a dedicated knife user for something approaching 35 years and that overshadows any concern anyone may have about my opinions regarding this knife or any expertise I have on knife usage, construction, design and the topic in general.

The Chris Reeve Sebenza is THE benchmark in folding knives for obvious reasons, of at least obvious to anyone who has ever held one or used one. The opening and closing of the knife are slick, easy, effortless. I've left mine go months before cleaning it out. Chris Reeve has left the design relatively unchanged for 25 yeasts because he got it right back then, and has consistent sold every Sebenza produced for $400 retail over that time.

This thing? It has been ingeniously designed so that the lockbar is actually pressing AGAINST the blade while one tries to open it, thereby making it nigh on impossible to open with one hand. Further, the handle is wide enough relative to the blade that it's difficult to reliably grasp the blade with the offside hand and open it using two hands.

It came it me set up for tip-down carry, with the clip at the pivot end of the handle. I could not figure out how the hell I'm supposed to open it with one hand, particularly easily, smoothly or consistently. Nothing worked. Turns out with the clip on the butt end it does not open easily, smoothly or consistently either.

I'll give it a whirl cutting a few things here and there, as the flat ground blade has a nice shape and profile. That's no surprise, as the lines are directly "borrowed" from early MDK while adding a stylized version of the current choil used by Kevin in his handmade blades. Unfortunately, while it artistically/ stylistically works, a folding knife is only useful if it opens and closes well, making it convenient. It does not open well in any sense of the word.

Now I will say the Excelsa tucks into a pocket beautifully, to the point where I'd suggest the clip could be significantly tighter. It WILL slip off a pair of dress or business casual slacks as it's sorta sliding off the jeans I'm wearing at the moment. As as a side note, the end of the clip is pronounced enough it digs into the user's hand.

In my initial impressions, it reminds me, sadly, of that first folder done by Darryl Ralph and Wilson Combat. Nothing worked right on that knife. The hand had to much depth edge-to-spine, and an overly flat handle. It opened funny and felt rickety. The lock could have engaged further, but failed to do so. It was only a few minutes before I was deeply disappointed.

The same is true here. The handle, while trying to mimic the contours of certain fixed blade knives, feels ungainly and without concern for the human hand while in motion. The handle is well chamfered in some spots and not at all in others. It has the grace of a bayonet in the hand, which CAN be used as a knife, but does a poor job of it as it is designed for something else.

Honestly, I really wanted to like this knife when it first came on the market. I don't see how that's possible. The clumsy in-hand feel, the distinct impression I'd cut myself if I ever get the blade to start opening easily, as my thumb disengages the "thumb stud" halfway thru the opening sequence if it manage to force it open, and the useless inclusion of yes, a"lockbar overtravel stop" sorta conspire to keep me from getting there. I mean, in order to prevent overtravel, don't I have to get it open first?

About the only grip in which it feels natural is a reverse grip, and if this is the only useful grip on your pocket knife, you bought wrong.

We will see how it fares in use, but a non-opening one-hand-opening folding knife is going to see very little use in practical terms. Thus far, this knife is an utter failure.

More to follow, with pics.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    sickboy likes this.