1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Makers Mark vs Modders Mark

laughingbuddha Oct 31, 2016

1. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

It is in no way insulting to anyone. You guys are crazy. Not all knife makers need to be ABS Bladesmiths with thousands of hours under their belt.

If you made a knife your a knife maker.

2. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Ok Ryan, I'll add it to my resumé . :bwah:

3. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

That's racist! Asians aren't just numbers! They're people...short, funny looking people.

I'm leaving it off of mine. I don't want to explain it while applying for a finance position.

***My maker's mark would be a drop of blood (patent pending)

4. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

Not!
    Is the heat getting to you down there..., fryin' your brain and such?

5. renly25

renly25 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

cool like what? like the fonz? nah its not...cool like morally correct? who gives a shit? guy buys some metal and wants 2 fuk it up, what buisness is that of urs?

6. Glenn

Short, funny looking people.

Lives Matter.

7. Glenn

^^^

Date of Birth February 1, 1993 (23)

And there you have it. :ross:

8. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

If you are born before '89 do you still qualify as the "younger" generation.:ropeman::bwah:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2016
  9. Ryanol

You're probably the type that walks through a museum, looks at modern art and says "thats not art, I could do that!"

When my daughter paints on a piece of craft paper, she has created art, she is an artist. When I grind or forge a piece of steel into a cutting implement I have made a knife, I am a knife maker. She might not be a great artist and I might not be a great knife maker but that does not mean the titles do not apply and it certainly means no disrespect to others that have invested more time or have more skill.

10. abqjoe

abqjoe JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I can't believe that this is even being discussed! Modding a knife isn't creating anything from scratch and therefore in no way shape or form does it constitute or justify a mark period plain and simple! Sometimes though artistic creativity can create a God complex..................

11. zuggzugg

zuggzugg JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

http://www.iambetterthanyourkids.com/

I'm just busting your balls of course. I support developing young artists but I love that site too! :thumbsup:

12. ratstuph

You know better than that you fuckstick. I would more likely say "What the fuck is that? If that's 'art' I just crapped out a masterpiece this morning."
    Apparently you and I are forever going to disagree on "knifemaker" status and disrespect associated with wrongly appropriating it. If you notice not everyone who might think he deserves it receives that status on the JD.
    When are you going to arrange a JD MSP get-together, now that there is no drive-through by those going to the grind-in?

13. Glenn

Something you know all about. :thefinger

:cheesydevil:

14. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

I put out a camp fire...I'm a firefighter.

I cooked a spaghetti dinner...I'm a chef.

I inspect glory holes...I'm a JD moderator.

***Just giving you shit Ryanol (you're twice my size and would kill me in a fist fight:bwah:)

15. Ryanol

A bunch of knife guys from instagram are meeting at insight brewery on the 11th? I'll look up the info and post it on the meet and great. Unfortunatly I am not sure entirely how knife friendly our location is for this knife meetup lol.

most of my arguement comes from the folks that people want to tie the term into a career. Ie you can't be a hobbyist knifemaker, the term is reserved for folks that make a living from it.

As far as being a Chef...fucking hell did I chef up some delicious coq a vin last night. The trick is to put the garlic cloves in between the skin and the breast, put the bird breast side down and use a nice heavy cast iron pot, mine is a lecrueset.

16. ratstuph

AtA don't let that fucking bully Ryanol intimidate you dammit! Remember, he has to catch you first, and my money is on you. Apparently though, if he throws dinner into the deal you may want to reconsider.

17. Ryanol

Don't let Tony fool you he was a wrestler back in the day and now he has that old man strength. He is a gentleman and a degenerate at once and above all a consummate gambler. In other words don't bet him anything lol..

18. HonorHer

HonorHer Custom Knife Builder JDBA Official Member

i skipped ahead and only read the first couple of pages but for the record this is something ive been asked to do quite a few times is to put my mark on the blade after ive modded one ... my answer is now and always will be a huge resounding NO it is very uncool to mark something you didnt make from scratch ... i will mark a set of handles or scales ive made internally but i will not put my mark on anything i havent made is disrespectful to the maker to do that ... so to summarize very very uncool

19. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

My quick input I would never want a modder to put their mark ethically. I will also say being fair I would never want a lesser modder mark on my blade but I could enjoy a respected persons sign. For example Matt Cook, and that is never going to happen. You know why, Matt takes great pride in his work and thus takes great pride in everything he does and it is only then that he puts his name on. That makes a desire for his work and thus you are paying also for the name. By throwing his name on every spa job besides from talking about ethics, having a piece with his name on it suddenly wouldn't really mean much as it does now. As it is now, no one thinks his spa job is equal to his full customs.

Anyone who throws on their name on anything, it shows me that they don't really respect the work of the certain maker and or company they are modding. But perhaps more importantly they thus don't respect their own name and their own craft. If they don't respect their own name... why should I.

20. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

i see modded knives on voodoo for sale all the time...for the money these guys(sellers)are asking they better have a name of the fucking thing...if i`m the buyer paying these asking prices (collectors/mint plus the price of the mods) as sure as fuck i would like to have proof who touched the damn knife...and who knows, if they become in vogue(so and so moder) and the used knife i paid mint for...plus the mods, really worth that much i would like to show proof to the perspective buyer(s)....:unintroduced:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2016