1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Magpul Magnesium AR15 Lower

Raindog Jun 15, 2013

1. Raindog

Raindog Will photograph for food Knife Maker or Craftsman

I have been on the road doing senior portraits. Today, in the town that I was working, I ventured into the local gun shop. When I asked about AR15 lowers, they showed me some Mag magnesium lowers. I had never seen these. They were very light but when I think of magnesium, I think of a metal that you should never catch on fire. What's the scoop on these? Price was $175 + tax and they were available in black or sand. I passed and am home tonight, 100 miles from the store. However, I may have business there soon and am thinking about purchasing one or two. Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  2. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

that's the shit sparklers are made of right?

3. Raindog

Exactly! Pure magnesium is easy to ignite as a dust or shaved but very difficult in bulk. Its flash point is usually dependent upon the alloys mixed with it. As a product, magnesium wheels are not thought to be dangerous. However, have you ever seen a car fire where the mags have ignited? They burn real good.

4. smrst45

smrst45 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My motorcycle has a magnesium engine.... I haven't caught fire...:thinkexplode: .....yet.

I don't think the minimal weight savings would be worth the cost...unless they just look badass.

5. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

"Badass" is usually a term reserved for Idiot TactiQueer in relation to gins, knives or similar accoutrements.

I'm sure this is what you intended, right? :manganr:

If you ever see Mike Stewart say "that's a really cool knife," it's code.

6. smrst45

smrst45 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Whoops forgot my smiley after badass. :ropeman:

7. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

Magpul doesn't make lowers.
    The closest they got was the Israeli design rifle they sold off.

You saw a MAG Tactical Systems Ultralite Gen-4 Lower

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MAG-Tactical-Systems/119258428208169

October 4, 2012
    Last updated on 10/04/12.

[​IMG]Last week, DefenseReview's (DR) friend Rob Curtis over at Military Times GearScout reported on the MAG Tactical Systems Gen-4 Ultralite AR (AR-15) Lower Receiver, which cuts 35% of the weight off of a conventional MILSPEC AR lower. The "proprietary tactical alloy" (aluminum alloy) Ultralite lower weighs in at 5.875 oz (ounces) versus the MILSPEC AR-15 5.56mm NATO (5.56x45mm NATO)/.223 Rem. lower's 9 oz. The new lower was introduced recently at Modern Day Marine 2012, but we hadn't yet seen it since we didn't attend the [COLOR=#CC0033 !important]showand we missed AR15News.com breaking the story on it on August 25th.[/COLOR]
    While the MAG Tactical Systems Ultralite Gen-4 ultralight AR lower receiver's aerospace aluminum alloy is a 6,000-series-equivalent alloy versus aircraft-grade 7075-T6 aluminum, it's still (according to [COLOR=#CC0033 !important]the company) plenty strong and coated with a proprietary "high-phosphorous nickel [COLOR=#CC0033 !important]coating[/COLOR]" that is then over-coated with the end-user's choice of boron nitride, boron, nickel boron, teflon electroless, Cerakote Ceramic (Desert Tan/Flat Dark Earth or Black) or DuPont Teflon One Coat. The high-phosphorous nickel coating provides hardness, while the additional coating enhances the anti-corrosion/anti-abrasion aspects of the receiver even further. Bottom line, MAG Tactical maintains that 7075-T6 aluminum is unnecessary for their receiver(s) due to their alloy's and coating(s)' respective mechanical properties.[/COLOR]
    Three main bullet points on the Gen-4 Ultralite lower from the company literature on it:
    - The GEN 4 receiver has an integrated trigger guard that will allow the use of cold weather gear.
    - The GEN 4 receiver has reinforced trigger & hammer axle pin placement points.
    - The GEN 4 front pivot pins are reinforced to eliminate any fracturing during torque when receiver is in the break down position.

[​IMG]Defense Review spoke with both [COLOR=#CC0033 !important]Bill King (owner) and Scot Ashworth (marketing director) by [COLOR=#CC0033 !important]phone[/COLOR] last night, and one of the first questions we asked them was if MAG Tactical Systems also plans to manufacture a Gen-4 Ultralite AR upper receiver. It just seemed like an obvious and logical question to ask. And, guess what? They do, they will, and it will probably be available by Christmas. Just like the lower receiver, the Gen-4 Ultralite upper receiver will cut 35% of the weight off off a MILSPEC AR-15 upper.[/COLOR]
    Our next obvious and logical question? What about AR-10/SR-25-type 7.62mm NATO (7.62x51mm)/.308 Win. lower and upper receivers? Yep! Those are next. Frankly, an Ultralite 7.62mm lower and upper interests DR even more, because that's where the (weight) [COLOR=#CC0033 !important]score can reallychange. Just like on the 5.56mm receivers, the 7.62mm receivers will enjoy a 35% weight [COLOR=#CC0033 !important]savings[/COLOR] advantage‚Äďand 35% off a MILSPEC AR-10/SR-25 upper and lower is an even more palpable change, because 7.62mm ARs are significantly heavier than 5.56mm ARs. The only downside is that the 7.62mm lower(s) and upper(s) are about a year out. Remember, patience is a virtue, especially when you want to get it right the first time.[/COLOR]
    MAG Tactical Systems will manufacture both semi-auto-only and select-fire/full-auto 5.56mm and 7.62mm lowers, eventually. DR has been informed that the company has, to date, approximately 15,000 rounds through a select-fire/full-auto gun with a Gen-4 Ultralite lower.
    DR's been told that the Ultralite lower generated a lot of interest from a number of major manufacturers atModern Day Marine, but we haven't yet been cleared to name [COLOR=#CC0033 !important]the companies. [/COLOR]
    The Ultralite lower has a current MSRP of $169.95 USD, and DR's been told that the Ultralite upper is expected to have a similar MSRP.
    Defense Review hopes to T&E the MAG Tactical Systems Gen-4 Ultralite 5.56mm lower and upper receivers, soon, so we can see for ourselves just how significant that 35% weight reduction feels, and how it effects weapon balance and handling qualities of an AR-15 carbine and SBR (Short Barreled Rifle)/sub-carbine, respectively. Any weight savings is a plus, of course, but how much will we be able to feel it, particularly while going through 2-5-day tactical carbine course?
    By the way, DR was also informed that MAG Tactical Systems will also introduce their own extruded aluminum quad rail system/forend rail tube in 6-8 months. The Ultralite rail system will of course be made out of the same proprietary lightweight alloy.

8. BlueSkyJaunte

BlueSkyJaunte waster of perfectly good steel

I honestly can't see the point of this, other than being the tacticoolest mall ninja at the range. What are you going to do with a 3.125oz weight savings? Carry an extra CR123A battery?

Personally, I can't recommend the CAV-15 lower enough (previously made by Cavalry Arms, now made by GWACS Armory) if you're looking for an alternative to the standard AR lower.

9. Raindog

I edited the post almost immediately after I hit submit (see edit remarks.) I was very tired after a 9 hour shoot, pack-out and 100 mile drive home. When I went to type Mag the fingers kept going, typing the word Magpul sub-consciously. I didn't know how to edit the title. You would not hurt my feelings if you did so.

10. Raindog

I wasn't looking for a magnesium lower, it is what I found when I went out looking to purchase a couple lowers. I knew nothing about them so I asked for info here. I was just curious. While I was out of town, the local gun shop received some Del-Ton lowers in for only $89.99 and I picked up two today. At 52, I am a long way from wanting to play mall-ninja. Prior to finding the Del-Tons today, most of the lowers that I was seeing in shops were around the $150-$175 range so I was curious about these. I haven't purchased a lower or even paid attention to the prices for over 3 years and thought that I would get good info here, not accusations of trying to be badass. Ask anyone that knows me, badass is a long-way distant from my description.

GEEZER likes this.
  11. BlueSkyJaunte

BlueSkyJaunte waster of perfectly good steel

Apologies--I was never my intention to accuse YOU of wanting to be a mall ninja. Sorry if it came across that way. If I had been more clear I would have said, "What would anyone do with a 3.125oz weight savings?".

I was simply questioning the supposed "benefits" this product provides over a regular, plain ol' lower from .... well, ANYBODY else.

Of course, these days, if the price is better--hell, go for it. :D I can't see any reason NOT to have a few lowers stashed away.

12. BenDibble

BenDibble Resident Mortician JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I am guessing they were designed and built as a response to the recent crunch. Just like all those scary polymer lowers...