1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Magpul D60 Drum and Pmags Loaded for Bear

Dustygmt Apr 22, 2018

1. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

Hey any of you guys out there keep your D60 or Pmags loaded for long term hopefully indefinite storage?

I know this topic has been discussed elsewhere and there is alot of discussions on AR15.com but it's a fairly divided issue. I have pretty much come to my own determination but I just figured I'd stir the pot and see what folks here have to offer on the subject.

Basically my assessment is that its a good idea to have a few mags strictly for range use, a few mags that stay loaded all the time and a few brand new. In the event long term storage was detrimental to the longevity of the mag you would have a supply of new and used mags and in the event you needed hundreds of rounds of ammunition in a hurry, having the mags loaded and ready to use vs. taking the time to load a mag would take preference over the possibility of having to discard a worn out mag that may or may not malfunction at some point.

I would think keeping springs compressed for prolonged periods could fatigue the springs or warp the feed lips at least to some small degree but not enough for me not to store a couple loaded.

Just my opinion. I don't really think it's necessary to keep more than 1 or 2 mags loaded at any given time but I know it's a popular practice for people to prepare a store of loaded mags for their own safety & security, peace of mind, whatever. Buying additional mags to stow away with full service life would seem to be the most logical response to anybody who does not have full confidence in the life span of a loaded mag store.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    seandavid55 likes this.
  2. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

I keep ALL of my magazines loaded at all times. For AR mags, I only load 28 so magazine insertion on closed bolt is not an issue. My understanding is that springs wear out from the act of compressing and decompressing and that leaving them under tension will not cause premature wear.

Dustygmt likes this.
  3. Dustygmt

I pretty much always subscribed to the same theory. It's not really a huge concern for me, I'm just curious about it.

I'm surprised this issue hasn't been covered on mythbusters or an accredited testing facility with a metalurgist on site to debunk the argument. Although, there are many accounts of guys using their great grandfathers 1911's that were loaded 70+ years ago and functioning flawlessly so that's a pretty compelling argument.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I think I've heard that the feed lips actually become damaged having that pressure on them all the time. Some mags I've seen come with a cover that actually pushes the top round down a bit.

That being said, I have never used said cover. I keep about 9 loaded AR mags pretty much all the time.

Dustygmt likes this.
  5. KaptainKürbstomp

KaptainKürbstomp Little Member

The ultimate solution to this problem is to convert your AR to .458 SOCOM and load 9 rounds in the mag. For reference:

[​IMG]

seandavid55 and Dustygmt like this.
  6. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Had 'everything' loaded (-2 rounds) for a year... then when I felt the poop wasn't hitting the fan anytime soon all got unloaded. Coffee cans got filled. Probably a couple are left 3/4 loaded. I feel better knowing the springs aren't compressed indefinitely.

7. Dustygmt

Sell me. What's so great about swapping out for a .458. Seriously, I haven't really looked into it but at one point I was kind of curious about getting a 9mm upper.

What do u like about em?

8. KaptainKürbstomp

KaptainKürbstomp Little Member

Quite literally the special forces said "we're tired of shooting people twice" and found a very big solution to that problem.

This video does a pretty good job explaining. I'm pretty sure there was a Tactical Rifleman video too but I can't find it anymore.

Dustygmt likes this.
  9. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My 9mm AR is one of my most enjoyable firearms to shoot.

Dustygmt likes this.
  10. Dustygmt

I can definitely imagine. I think bout it from time to time and one day I'll probably get one. 9mm used to be very underrated, people thought the .45 was unparalleled but now it's pretty undeniable, the 9mm is probably the most popular and efficient handgun caliber hands down. The .45 is great too, I used to love my .45's but they are all long gone now.

seandavid55 likes this.
  11. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Here ya go Gents 31958012_1873151189396365_8528653908426358784_n.jpg