1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Magic Jack?: Any experience-good or bad?

GODSPEED Feb 8, 2014

1. GODSPEED

GODSPEED godspeed tactical Knife Maker or Craftsman

Well I decided to buy a "Magic Jack" setup and I probably should've asked about it before I did..... anyhow, anybody have experience with or use a Magic Jack? Pros, Cons?

Thanks in advance.

Eli

2. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

No personal experience but the few people I know that did try it said it was great, as in it works and is cheap...but they also said the sound quality was bad and it would drop calls. One person that does a lot of conference calling said he would never use it for business calls due to that alone but used it for personal calls often.

Other than grapevine reviews that's all I got...since you've got it coming already, let us know how it works on your end. The issues I heard above, I received couple years ago... Things may have changed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
    GODSPEED likes this.
  3. GODSPEED

jjh: Thanks, I'm glad to hear something positive... I'll definitely report back with now it works. It's a newer version called Magic Jack + so hopefully the = improvements, got a good deal on it but honestly I can't wait to get rid of my phone company (and bill).

Eli

4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I had the old version, and my wife and I used it to talk halfway around the world, and I worked pretty good. But now we just use skype for distant family. Just cell phones no home phone.

If we needed a home phone then we would renew the magic jack.

GODSPEED likes this.
  5. GODSPEED

Thanks for the feedback, cell phones only would be ideal but I live about 30 miles from where I get my mail and the cell reception here is sketchy at best... sometimes I can talk for 30 minutes but most of the time it's 30 seconds before a call gets dropped. We have a pretty fast internet connection though so I'm hoping I'll be alright with this new setup.

Eli

6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I think it would well for your purposes, I'm not sure what they are charging per year now, but it's got to be less than a month of cell phone charges!

7. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

It's a good back up. Like any new number you'll get calls from collectors for the dead beat that used to have the number. Also, It might not be a local # you get. So your buddies may not pick up not recognizing the #.
    You have to leave the computer on the net all the time, or no phone.All in all it's cheap and handy. Had mine running for more than two years.

8. GODSPEED

Man, I am/was hoping I could use my same/old number, thanks for the heads-up. The first 6 months are free and then it's 29.00 a year after that vs 60.00 a month I'll spend 5.75 a month for the first year (with purchase price) and it'll cost me 2.41 a month after that.

Thanks!

Eli