1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Maelstrom Behavior

Joker188 Sep 3, 2019

1. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Good afternoon,
    It's been awhile since I've posted but I'd like to ask the community for their input on a topic I haven't found much material on.

I'm curious about how the maelstrom behaves as a flipper's knife. I've enjoyed two versions of the Basilisk and an Alpha Beast. I also use a Rhapsody as a trainer.

I've thought of the maelstrom to be more of a collector's knife considering the unique Harner grinds but how does it weigh in for comparison and anybody know if it's extremely blade or handle heavy? I imagine this varies by the piece but I'm looking for a general feel when someone picks up the knife.

Thank you for the input and advice,
    Joker

TheChemist likes this.
  2. TheChemist

TheChemist JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I too am interested in the maelstrom but have found limited information.

Is this a show piece only or does it have functionality?

Also, how does one get in on the HOM midtech collaborations such as the maelstrom? Is there a list or first come/first serve?

3. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Doing any kind of flipping with it, it has to 100% be the hand-rounded satin versions. The non-rounded handles are still rounded on top but they're very thick and tank-like. The knife is overall a heavy knife but it still has titanium spacers and handles so it's still nothing like a stainless knife. I had one at the Blade show booth with rounded handles and a hollow ground weehawk-ish blade sans the latch and everyone loved the way it flipped. But it isn't a featherweight.

There's a decent amount who have them and flip them, such as lovinsbalis on IG. His Maelstrom isn't rounded but his feedback is similar to the above. That's about as objective as I can get with it!

4. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

The chunky handles are one of the first concerns that crossed my mind. Thank you for the input.

5. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

It functions as a knife.

***You're welcome

Linos, chutcher and seandavid55 like this.
  6. TheChemist

Thats good i guess. i do like knives. Does it cut things or is it more useful for buttering my toast?

7. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

You'll have to ask Twirl. But I think all his knives are meant to be used for stabbing the computer screen when he losing in DOTA.

***Great knifemaker but not very good at gaming

8. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Ha! I enjoy flipping a gold Basilisk, AB, and Rhapsody daily. I feel like I prefer the full size Ti knives. Hom is my number one knife maker and I seriously doubt he would compromise function for aesthetic but I just wasn't convinced that these maelstroms are as flipper friendly as the Bas R. I still appreciate anyone's input who has thrown these knives around.

TheChemist likes this.
  9. TheChemist

A different question, which maelstrom grinds is best ?

Currently thinking the LST

(Not trying to high jack your thread joker)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  10. Ryan Rehmann

Ryan Rehmann Tiny Member

If you can get your hands on a maelstrom, rounded handles makes all the difference.

11. TheChemist

12. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

We're glad that you are eager to participate in our beloved forum, butt* we DO require that EVERYONE post an introduction before anything else. I notice that you have failed to do so.

Please go to the Testing the Waters. New member introductions forum at http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/testing-the-waters-new-member-introductions.34/ and tell us a little about yourself.

Otherwise, [​IMG]

13. bradenwright

bradenwright Little member

I'm not a very good flipper but have owned a lot of top notch flippers. Comparison to the Ti Basilisk-R / AB, its a better flipper than the Bas-R and right up there with AB, hard to pick.

The handles are perfection, I absolutely ove them! I like bigger handles. First noticed on Pale knives having a wider knife helps them lock in when doing vertical moves, etc. They are super comfy with the satin finish and the rounded handles are great. I will say look of handles isn't my fav, but I don't dislike it either.

Weight wise the I prefer the TI spacers over the SS spacers in Bas-R. I always found Bas-R spacers to be too heavy and had some full length Ti made. Which I love the weight now, but handles on the Mael are just perfect. Weight wise I do wish they were full length Ti (although not all solid, something like the EX10 full length spacers to add just a little more weight to the rear). But I do like a little more junk in the trunk, like I love AB weight dist. It's so close, I'm not even sure if I will try to have custom ones made or just have it as a more neutral flipper. I'm really glad that the spacers are Ti and not SS.I have the Bowie blade, picked it mainly b/c I was worried other blade profiles maybe too light, especially out towards the tip

I'd say most moves I can do equally well on my AB and Mael, but vertical moves are easier on my Mael, and things like helix's/behind 8-ball are a little easier on AB b/c it has a little extra momentum in rear of handles and tip of the blade.

Balibuyer likes this.