1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

(Made In France ) Jean Pierre Barillet Balisong

Glenn Mar 24, 2013

1. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

This one is a rare one to say the least. I had posted this in the Balisong area, but thought it would appeal to the international crowd as you folks may not venture into the JDBA . This Balisong holds importance in the knife world in general.

The only discussion that can be traced back is to a topic in 2007 on BF where Mr Levine posted about a brass mounted copy of this blade.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...about-Bontgen-and-Sabin?p=4395986#post4395986

This appears to be the "original"

Jean Pierre Barillet Balisong

Made in France.

Sterling silver SOLID cast handles with a mirror finish blade.

Name: Marquis & Bergère
    Handles: 120g of silver
    Blade: carbon
    Total length: ~16cm
    Blade length: ~10cm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mideka likes this.
  2. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Glenn,

This is a Beautiful knife - What is so special about it that You cannot tell us here and we must go to some other forum to find out ?

Tell us about it here and we can discuss it here.

3. Glenn

Hi Mike. There is nothing much at the other Forum to find out. The link was the only other reference to this Balisong I could find in my hunt for information. It just goes back to Mr Levine posting about a brass replica based off this original silver Balisong.

Guess part of posting this in International Waters was to hope for more exposure to find out more information.

4. Glenn

Specifically there was a conversation about the earliest Balisong known. Bontgen and Sabin made. In that thread Mr Levine posted about a brass replica of the silver mounted knife being make somewhere in the 1890's.

Extracted:

5. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

It's the first time i see that sort of balisong :). Not my cup of tea, but interresting :D

6. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Tres Agreable!:ropeman::jdwink2:

7. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i think it's beautiful.

five stars.