1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Looking seriously at an HK-45c

Random Apr 26, 2009

1. Random

Random i pwn Haxors

I've had the itch for some time now for a new handgun and I just can't take it anymore. I've had a Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup as my primary for damn near 20 years. When I was fondling the wares at the local gun store I damn near got a woody over this HK. The only thing I can find wrong with it is the grip is just a tad bit small for me. I've never owned an HK but am aware of their reputation as well as their price. Does anyone have one? Is there anything that doesn't justify the price tag? Oh, and just a kicker, I think my wife likes the 9mm. I could actually end up with two guns!!:madaddy:

2. Ken Brock

Ken Brock Who's Awesome? Super Moderator

did you try it with the smallest backstrap in place?

The HK45 (both compact and fullsize) come with changeable backstraps IIRC

3. Random

Random i pwn Haxors

Just whatever was on the model in the case. The fit was good enough that I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker. I'll look into different grips if I feel it's a problem after I've had it a bit.

4. SuperD

SuperD Sebbiephile

I have 5 HK USP's and I think they are worth the price. I have never had a complaint about any of them. They do have changeable backstraps so see if they will let you change them around next time you are in the store.

5. Random

Random i pwn Haxors

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go back sometime this week or weekend for a final "fitting" and then just jump in with both feet. My wife is waffling between the HK 9mm and a Beretta.

6. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

I used to have

a USP .40 Compact and now carry for work a USP2000 in .40. Given my preferences for a duty gun - I prefer the Glock 17 I used to carry at work but the USP .40 Compact I had was quite the nice package. The main difference was the trigger. In the 2000 the trigger sucks.

I would carry my Delta Elite or one of my other 1911s.......if I could...

7. axeman11

axeman11 Huge member

I hate when people do this....

But may I suggest an option.

I recently purchased a FNP45 USG over the HK. It is a little bigger in the grip, same features, although totally ambi controls, comes with 15rd and 2 14rd mags. Shoots like a dream. It can be carried cond 1 or decocked. The SA pull is crisp and light, the DA is heavy but somewhat short. I was very impressred with the reset on mine also, short, quick and very tactile in feel. Made entirely in the USA.

Take a look at one if you can find them.

8. Random

Random i pwn Haxors

I’ll definitely give it a look. I may slow down my purchase a bit as I’m also looking at a Dillon reloader. Since I’m getting ready to plunk down some serious cash when this is all over there is no need to rush it.

9. nyeti

nyeti Mick Strider's illegitimate lovechild

I currently carry a pair of HK45C's with threaded barrels at work, and a standard HK45C on my days off. They are excellent pistols, and fit my hand better than anything else out there. The HK45C has kept the original design parameters done by Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn rather than the modifications done by HK to the full size that I don't like. The HK45 series are actually designed to mimic the handling of the 1911 if used with the variant ( for cocked and locked. I am using Variant 1's as I carried a USP for 10 years as a duty gun, so the DA/SA is actually what I am used to. A lot of folks also like the LEM trigger. I wasn't that enamored with it, although there is hope that you will be able to get the LEM in the future for these guns with the Match parts that is supposed to be a really good system. If I can ever get the triggers in my HK45C's to mimic my USP Expert, I'll be happy.