1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for BM 51 Dis/Reassembly Advice

JAM3X Jul 17, 2020

1. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

Hi All. Im a total noob here, so if this is in the wrong place let me know and ill do my best to move it.

I just joined the forum (first one ever). I just got some FlyTi v9 scales for my Benchmade 51 and Im getting ready to put em on! I just wanted to know if there is anything in particular that I should know before starting, or anything I should keep an eye out for (gotcha ya's). I watched some vids and will look into it even more. Im fairly sure that I can do the job, I just dont want to be blindsided by something avoidable.

Thanks for any help
    -John

Benyounkz and apdallaround like this.
  2. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

was this yesterday?

how’d it go?

thegoodedge and JAM3X like this.
  3. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Channel Ti Guy JDBA Official Member

Just keep your eyes peeled for the cam latch parts, and avoid working around carpet. Latch actually has a bushing unlike the blade for whatever reason, and it has a tiny little pin that rides on the latch to provide tension.

Only other thing really is just being careful not to strip any screws. Hopefully you have some quality torx bits, and not just some random hex bits or somthing. If you feel like you're forcing it, try giving it a little heat (dip in boiling water, use a lighter, hair dryer, etc..)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    mike_geno, apdallaround and JAM3X like this.
  4. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I didn't get to it yet. I thought I had the scales, but when I tore into the package all excited it turned out to be a really old package I completely forgot about X-D. I checked the tracking and they should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'll try to post some pics when I get it done.

5. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I really appreciate the advice, thanks! I'm really worried about striping screws, I might have to invest in some quality hex drivers (I only have Harbor Freight cheap-bin bits lol). I'll probably work on it in a plastic tub to avoid losing the pieces.
    Thanks again!

6. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Bad idea! Get some QUALITY bits before you start fucking up the hardware. Wiha come highly recommended, and I've had good luck with some other brands. BUTT*, ANYTHING is betterer that Harbor Freight when it comes to tools.... :manganr:

FYI, Amuzon has a set... https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26799-8-Piece-Torx-Screwdriver/dp/B000T9W4TC

Non-affiliate link, I ain't making a dime offa that.... :ropeman:

kneeglow, apdallaround and JAM3X like this.
  7. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I feel ya! I just moved and my tools are a mess right now. I know I have a high quality precision driver set but I haven't found it yet. Might check out that link, Thanks

crogers likes this.
  8. kneeglow

kneeglow Tiny Member

also Wiha torx bit set is your best friend.

JAM3X and apdallaround like this.
  9. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

I was gonna mention those little latch parts. Very easy to misplace

JAM3X likes this.
  10. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

Thanks everyone for the advice!
    I've worked on balisongs before and wasn't worried about it until I saw a 51 completely disassembled and laid out (a whole lot of tiny pieces lol)
    I'll just take my time and work on it in a big plastic bin. Also buy another driver set if I can't find my old one.
    Thanks again!

I'll try to post some pics too, if I remember

11. shinyblades

shinyblades Little Member

I just did it. The only thing that is really small is the cam lock for the latch. It is a little tiny pin with a little tiny bushing. You can see it in there from the outside of the knife. The other things are small but not as small.

If you want to get rid on the clip for better balance, I make a shorter repro sexbolt that will fit. The 1/8" diameter sexbolts from usaknifemaker will not fit. I take one of those and mill it down. I will make a post soon.

JAM3X likes this.
  12. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

Thanks for the heads up! I plan to keep the pocket clip, at least at first. It's my EDC, but if the scales make it carry in my pocket noticably worse I might ditch the clip and keep it as more of a flipper.

13. kkon

kkon Tiny Member

Do the screws on the benchmade 51's usually have loctite on them from the factory or is it recommended to put some on?

JAM3X likes this.
  14. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I don't know if they usually do or not, but mine didn't. I couldn't even see a trace. I would recommend taking it apart to check, then apply some and tighten it up to where it feels good to you. Let sit over night before you flip it