1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Live vs Trainer

Justin McNeill Dec 18, 2019

1. Justin McNeill

Justin McNeill Little Member

Enlighten me. If I’m going to spend 260 dollars on a trainer why would I not just buy a live and use tape.
    So the only difference in weight and balance is the tape. I just can’t see myself buying a trainer.
    I guess I should of search this forum about this first but I didn’t........

duct tape or bust

2. RexRippin

RexRippin Little Member

Legality where you live could be a real big reason.

3. Justin McNeill

Justin McNeill Little Member

See I never would of thought of that thanks

4. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

trainers are great for first attempts at things

in the end you will learn more with a live blade

buy both

5. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Tape works, but I would not leave it on too long. It could tarnish the blade. I really don't know how long you can keep it on but I have seen people trying to sale balis where the blade was tarnished because of tape. I'm just lazy... I got tired of putting tape on and taking it off so that is one of the reasons I got a trainer. However, just like apdallaround said above, you should use a trainer sparingly and make sure you get good time in with a live blade as well.

I like having a bali lying around on my desk where I can pick it up at anytime, but there are very young children around. That bali is a trainer and the pointy ones are put out of reach until the young ones are tucked away at night. That is the main reason I own a quality trainer.

6. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

TheChemist likes this.
  7. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

8. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Average Member

I have a fan that vibrates. I hung a trainer and it stopped.

chutcher likes this.
  9. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

See... another fine example of why you should invest $260 in a trainer.

Shawnjohn999999 and RexRippin like this.
  10. Alfie

Alfie Little Member

Definitely "no" duct tape... too messy. I would go with high quality electrical tape (3M from Home Depot) and I would avoid the black color electrical tape from any brands, as, for some reason, over time, the glue degrades and becomes a slick black mess on whatever was on and will stick to your fingers (as you remove the tape) for a few days (talking from experience with lots of electrical wiring/taping washers and dryers at the family run business/laundromat).

11. Alfie

Alfie Little Member

Oh, by the way... I agree...... buy a real bali & tape it up.

12. TheChemist

TheChemist JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Taping a blade can give a false sense of security. Sometimes the blade cuts through the tape and it also doesn’t protect you from the tip.
    Personally, I’m more afraid of damaging the blade than myself. Tape won’t protect against that. You can still break the tip off a taped blade. A high quality trainer doesn’t have a tip to break. Also, as pointed out, more friendly around young children and concerned spouses.

In the end, do whatever the fuck you want

apdallaround and Shawnjohn999999 like this.
  13. Shawnjohn999999

That last sentence...Legendary..

apdallaround likes this.
  14. Shawnjohn999999

But do it with a 51 jack asses.

apdallaround and TheChemist like this.