1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Completely out of fucks to give Brigade Member

I started to prepare some strawberrys for my children with the bali I happened to have in my pocket. I usually use a pointy knife of some sorts to remove the green stalk; I dont just cut the top of the strawberry off...I dig in to the fruit and cut out a coned shaped part thus removing the white part of the friut and the green stalk in one, leaving only the red part of the strawberry to serve...

anyroad...with the strawberrys prepped and served I came back to clean up and I noticed that the blade was tarnished...It didn't look all nice and shiny as it did when I started...

I thought to myself, shit...that doesnt look good...It must be carbon steel...I mulled it over for a second or two and then thought 'fuck it'...I may as well force a funky patina on it.

So I stabbed it through 3 limes. I put some heavy books on top of it to squash the fruit onto the blade tightly...left it over night and came back to this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Patina came out slightly darker than this straight out of the fruit, I ran it under the tap and washed off alot of black oxidation...maybe I should have left it on to get a better contrast, but I thought that I should wash of the rest of the lime juice to stop it all turning the same colour

I could just polish it up and start again...but I quite like it how it is for now...

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
    Mystik and buddy like this.
  2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Wow! that's looks awesome.... I like it!:thumbsup:

3. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Who made that? Is that a Santiago? Looks great!

4. Jimdo

Jimdo JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That's pretty bad ass.

5. Icceal555

Icceal555 Huge member

I believe that's a Chuck Gedraitis custom.

buddy likes this.
  6. j.nailz

j.nailz JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Nice outcome. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my Arc Angel.
    What type of Bali is that? :ropeman:

7. Raoul Duke

Yup...its a Chuck G...

The choil on it is good for choking up on the blade...good for close up work...like cutting strawberrys up...the top choil, or whatever you want to call the dip on the spine is great for chaplins...really locks them in, and the differently sized spacers are cool as the safe handle spacer is larger then the bite handle spacer, (bite handles are usually heavier as they have the additional weight of the latch)...this one is well ballanced...

8. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Thank you for clarifying, that's a beautiful knife.

9. Raoul Duke

I think the lime that was put on first closest to the choil/ handles came out the best....that lime was stabbed off centre if that makes sence...

Or you could try a grape fruit...Limes are all I had to hand...

The third lime only just went on a little way on to the tip...I didnt want a shiny tip... :)

10. accurate

accurate Accurate Devil JDBA Official Member

Nice recovery, that looks cool!

11. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Woah - what did the blade look like originally?

12. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Way different when I had it #74.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

What an awesome outcome :thumbsup:

14. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

This is actually what I thought as well when first seeing the picture in terms of his damascus style and thought it was already done. This is the best decision "mistake" I have seen all week. I think I need to purchase some limes and run some experiments :madaddy:

Mystik likes this.
  15. tx101

tx101 Stuck in the middle with you JDBA Official Member

IMHO, it looks a little unfinished

[​IMG]

The arrow areas need a patina as well otherwise they look like bald spots

16. Raoul Duke

Arrow...You mean Tang...?

As I say I could Re do this...may need some tips on polishing this back up/ removing the patina...

Or I might take it apart and pushing the tang through a lime also...

Its actually got a bit more of a patina when you look at it...The camera makes it look like bald spots...or should I say my poor Iphone Pics make it look that way...I did rub some lime juice on the tang also to get an even colour all over...

17. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

I kinda agree with tx101, but other than that I think it looks awesome too! Nice save! :thumbsup:

18. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Hell, J, I'd just leave it as is....I love it. I think it's better than the original.

:thumbsup:

You could take an Ultra-Fine Scotchbrite pad with some oil on it to lightly smooth the surface and "fade" the the patina slightly.

I would also leave the pivot areas untouched. An etch might be a little rough on those super-thin washers Mr. Gedraitis uses.

19. tx101

tx101 Stuck in the middle with you JDBA Official Member

Mask off the areas where the washers sit with nail varnish

20. BigD.Supreme

BigD.Supreme Little member

wow thats awesome! is it just my imagination or can you make out the 2 distinct limes on the blade?