1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Lightning OTF - My Opinion

itadakimasu Jul 18, 2014

1. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Hey devils,
    I have been using a Lightning OTF for some while now and decided to share my opinion.

[video=youtube;0NNA1jQS-mI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NNA1jQS-mI[/video]

What are your opinions or experiences? :devilcorn:

El Gringo and jjhamilton like this.
  2. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

Junk

3. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Noted

4. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

It is a clone...:shitunot:

5. itadakimasu

Internally yes, the button looks the same as well. The frame and blade aren't the same. :bruce:

6. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I would be concerned about any hard use for it.
    unknown blade steel + zinc alloy frame does not suggest rugged use to me.

7. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

Real talk: I need some clarification.

What is the Lighting really considered?

I thought clones or CCCs were cheap ass knives designed to be sold as the real thing. You know like the fake benchmades sold as the real thing, fake sebenza's sold for 50$ complete with "made in idaho", and even the S.cook knockoff with the Chitanium.

The lighting is a copy of a MT Scarab(?) I think? But not being sold "as" a scarab. Hence it being available @ Blade HQ.

What's the straight dope?

Also yes MTXCraze has one, You are getting what you pay for, I have a strong feeling it would not hold up very well.

8. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

It is a piece of shit. but for the price I would recommend it to a friend who really isn't that into knives.

It has a lot of "cool" factor just for being an OTF.

Its a good box opener or like he said in the video he used it in the garden and maybe to cut some food up.

For 30-40 bucks its not a bad D/E OTF

Personally I wouldn't carry it as my main EDC but its fun to show off to some friends who know nothing about knives.

9. ratstuph

I refer to it as a "clone" due to its resemblance to the original. My dope is always straight.

10. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

I dig it, so do you consider a difference between something resembling a product and something being sold as a superior product?

That's what I'm asking, I'm not saying anyone is wrong.

:owl:

11. ratstuph

Just levels of slipperyness; the former seems to be part of the Chinese culture, the latter is more globally shared by the unscrupulous. While I have had a lightning, I paid 20 American dollars for it, and still considered myself having wasted 12 of those dollars, and that includes factoring in shipping costs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  12. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

I've read a couple times that, in Taiwan, you aren't violating copyright if there are at least 7 distinct differences in the design. I figure the variances like the pocket clip, the "Lighting" on the blade, the textured aluminum grips, the blade thickness, and other differences exist for that reason (and to make it cheaper to manufacture).

There's also the difference in terminology between "clone" and "copy." Some people use them interchangeably and some say they are completely different. I have been told that a clone is something very similar but could not be easily mistaken for the original product, whereas a copy is identical in shape and size and could to the original but may have different paint/logo/etc. E.g. a Dalton Ranger could be considered a clone of a Microtech Halo and a Ravencrest Venom is a copy of a Microtech Combat Troodon.

My opinion on the Lightning is that it isn't trying to be a counterfeit, but it is a copy, and I'd bet the handle mold was originally made from a real Scarab.

13. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

It is what it is ,a 20/40.00 knife ,it has it's cool factor but never the less it's a very inexpensive knife . :devilcorn:

14. sh00ter01

sh00ter01 When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk Brigade Member

About 7 years ago I bought a pair (back when they were doing the buy 2 deals). I wanted an OTF, and since I'd only be able to carry around the house, I didn't want to spend a lot. Figured with 2 of them, that when one broke I'd chuck it and use the second.

Well the first has been my beater pretty much since I got it, used around the house, but for yard work mostly and it's still going strong. It's had the very tip snapped off, been sharpened numerous time to repair edge damage, but it fires just like when it was new and locks up fairly solid (a tad more play then when new, but that's to be expected). No idea how many thousands of firings it has on it.

I got to say, I'm thoroughly impress with how well it's held up given the price. The second one is still in it's box somewhere.
    [​IMG]

As to them being copies or fakes/counterfeits, like other said above, I'd call it a copy, but not a counterfeit since it's not trying to be a Scarab and marketed under it's own name, 'LIGHTNING'.

15. BaliAction

BaliAction Level: True Devil

I have an otf lightning, I havnt put it to much heavy use but I like it. For 40 bucks it seems like a good deal

16. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

i have one for around the house, hated beating on a several hundred dollar microtech. the fine quality is lacking but it functions

17. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Back in the 70ies I had an OTF that retracted must been about 12 years old fell in Love with that mother It was a cheap Italian . But it got me hooked on knives ,so I say they got there place in the knife world .:devilwag:

18. ratstuph

You couldn't sell a Lightning on the JD however. We don't do clones, knock-offs, etc.

19. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
  20. TPetsch

TPetsch Ice Cold Handshake

[​IMG]