1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Light Tent Set Up

Tinysd Feb 22, 2008

1. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

I have received many pm's asking what I am using, so I took some quick photos of what I use.

Coop has an awesome set up and thread for his $75 tent. No frills tent.
    I learned a lot from reading that thread.

This is what I use for some of the smaller items. You can shoot through the hole and the light bounces off the front cover.
    [​IMG]

With the front cover off is how it is used the most.
    [​IMG]

The lights are hardware store clamp on with daylight bulbs.
    [​IMG]

Some of you were worried about room. This is the folding tent in it's case. I got it for about $30 on ebay.
    [​IMG]

Out of the case.
    [​IMG]

Opened and ready for use.
    [​IMG]

The backgrounds on the right came with the tent. I got the material on the left from Walmart.
    [​IMG]

I keep them hanging from these pant hangers to keep the wrinkles out.
    [​IMG]

A piece of the white board I use to direct light where I want it. Only a couple of bucks at the art supply store.
    [​IMG]

My tripod is a Manfrotto with a grip action ball head. It has a quick release mount that stays attached to the camera which allows easy set up.
    [​IMG]

If you have any tips or have some pictures of what you use, please add them to this thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
    flatblackcapo, ppc6mm and Joe Whalen like this.
  2. inkster

inkster The Mayor of Bloomerville

Awesome post Thank you :devilzide I just don't know where to put the lights :bwah:

3. Tinysd

You have to move them around until the light is where you want it. Well, that is what I do. :deadevil:

4. inkster

:devilzide Can you come over and help me? :ssad: I get worse with every photo. :bwah:

5. Lemmy

Lemmy hook in mouth

That sure is a nice, clean garage! :thumbsup:

6. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

:clap: YAY, Tiny! :urock:
    :manganr:Lookin' forward to seein' more pics from Tiny & Devilz!:thumbsup:

7. inkster

:popcorn: More photo's please :wes:

8. Iceman

Iceman GI-NORMOUS member

what kind of camera are you using?

9. willhunt

willhunt much appreciated

Here is my current setup. Just some white poster board cut out to shape, with a frosted panel out of a flourescent light fixture, as a diffuser. My lights are some old Smith/Victor incandescents. A decent tripod, and use your 10 second delay shutter timer (if your camera has one) to avoid any camera shake. Maybe also a small mirror or another piece of white poster board to place in front of the knife for some fill light.
    I must say too, that Photoshop, or any of the many photo editing software available, should be a part of your digital photography set-up. Photos taken with even the most expensive camera/lighting set-ups can be dramatically enhanced with it.
    This set-up, with my older Canon G-5, took this pic of my BRKT Canadian Sportsman. With some tweaking in Photoshop.

10. Tinysd

Nice! I need to get some real lights. :bwah:

11. willhunt

Not at all, Tinysd. I think your pics are outstanding with your current set-up.
    I picked these lights up real cheap, and yes they work OK, but I have read about some newer daylight light balanced bulbs that you can put in very inexpensive fixtures, and get great results.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think you need to spend a ton of money on lights/camera/lightbox to get some very nice photos.

And I thank you for starting this thread. Photography is a passion of mine, and it's always a good thing to see what kind of set-ups and combinations that others use.

Please keep'em coming.

12. Tinysd

I would be nice to have the stands instead of clipping one to my bikes brake lever or a ladder.

13. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Tiny - If you want stands for your clip on lights, I found that for static, low level shots, old tripods or music stands work fine. That is what I used for shots in my TCF days at San Diego State. The best part was that I was able to "borrow" the stands from the Music Department......

Question. I don't have a very good electronic camera, so I don't know if with better cameras you have to deal with f stops and such as we did with film. Do you shoot on automatic? Do you measure exposure and balance your key and fill lighting ratios with a meter? I still have my old Sekonic Studio Deluxe meter, would it be useful if I had a better camera? :chuck:

14. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

:yeahthat::thumbsup::popcorn:

15. willhunt

Here is another type of setup someone could make themselves. I'm thinking of building one myself.

16. rickman

rickman Huge member

Ah, here's mine. Got the idea from "Sharp By Coop" over on Bladeforums.

My lighting setup:

[​IMG]

My studio setup:

[​IMG]

Light diffuser is "Cracked Ice" fluorescent light diffuser, 6 inch clamp-on lamps with 100W Daylight fluorescents, pvc frames, vinyl floor tiles from Home Depot and a nice selection of art papers from Michael's craft store.

Now to get better with Photoshop to clean em' up and make them look better.

17. Iceman

Iceman GI-NORMOUS member

Rickman,

just to be sure that is the white cracked ice deffuser, not the clear cracked ice?

18. rickman

rickman Huge member

Sorry, that would be the white cracked ice diffuser.

19. SPLITSHOT

SPLITSHOT Paracord Pimp

Thank's for the great idea's . i have to make me one .....

20. Frstr8

Frstr8 First Rate JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Thanks for the ideas! I just got a Nikon D90 and I am trying to learn how to use it. Been playing around, but I am gonna make something like what you guys have posted for sure! Here is a couple shots that I took while messing around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]